Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 AM

Default Have You Lost Your Marbles?

It seems like about every time I go out and hunt for and hour or 2 in my neck of the woods I find a marble. Found one within 30 mins this evening and went out last time a week ago and found 2 that day. I just keep adding them to my collection, I might pass up a low tone now and then, but I never pass up a marble. Funny because I dont even remember kids playing marbles when I was young much in the late 60's, but there was a day when they must have ruled the play grounds and sand lots, because there sure is a bunch out there and even old sites I will find them. Anyway somebody has for sure lost their marbles because I have found them, haha.
Name:  Marbles2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  48.4 KB

Old 10-17-2018, 04:52 AM
Elite Member

Kids could have been shooting them with slingshots.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Elite Member

Do a ebay search for marbles and click that price highest to lowest and you will probably end up going through those marbles looking for treasure. It could be there. Early machine made American marbles can be worth anywhere from $1.00 to $1000. I sold that pretty red and blue one for over a hundred bucks.
There are guys that dig outhouses looking for marbles, they find silver and gold too, but the money is in the marbles.
Name:  displayshelf001.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  mibsforsale004.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  13.4 KB

Name:  JIMMarbles005.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  56.1 KB

Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Elite Member

nice collection of marbles you have there. It's neat when one pops out of the hole, you just never expect that.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

Some nice old handmade marbles you have found.
Yes, the game of marbles was much more popular before WW2 and goes way back in history.

I've only found one marble so far and it was a fun find. Mine is a Blue Bennington imported from Germany between 1870 and 1910.

Here is a good web site on marbles:
http://www.marblecollecting.com/marb...e/earthenware/

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Elite Member

I've only found one marble with the detector but have found a few walking on the beach....

Never realized how pricey some of them can be.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 AM
Supporter

I've got quite a few over the years. Here is just a few that was close to take a picture.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

I used to find dozens digging bottle dumps, but only one or two detecting. Nice collection!

☆Gold-1~V's-3~Buff-9☆

Old 10-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Here is my stash, got some old ones I'm sure there is some treasure in there, but never looked at how much marbles are worth. I might have my retirement there, haha
Name:  Marbles1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  82.9 KB
Someday I might have to count them up and see how many there are, but I'm adding to it all the time, not sure why I find so many, but I hunt a lot of 1900's, give or take 20 yrs, houses. This is near 30 years worth.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by KS Plug Popper View post
Here is my stash, got some old ones I'm sure there is some treasure in there, but never looked at how much marbles are worth. I might have my retirement there, haha
Attachment 426675
Someday I might have to count them up and see how many there are, but I'm adding to it all the time, not sure why I find so many, but I hunt a lot of 1900's, give or take 20 yrs, houses. This is near 30 years worth.
You have some nice marbles, there are a couple that look like they could be worth more than a buck. Bottom pic, middle row, left side, looks like it could be an Akro Agate "Popeye" They are one of the most collectible machine mades and easy to identify. If the color corkscrews without overlapping over clear class it's most likely a popeye. The rarer color combos get stupid money. If you find any that look like this, don't let the kids play with them.
Name:  750corkscrew002JPG-1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  23.4 KB

Old 10-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Supporter

Dang that’s a lot of marbles! Paging Jamflicker!

I don’t find too many but did find a nice shooter at a tear out where I found wheats, buffs, a skeleton key and an old vinegar bitters bottle! My favorite marble.
Attached Images

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $168.95 ($810.45), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 17 (46), Gold: 6 (24), .925 8 (57), Rings: 41 (181), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 10-17-2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterjim View post
Do a ebay search for marbles and click that price highest to lowest and you will probably end up going through those marbles looking for treasure. It could be there. Early machine made American marbles can be worth anywhere from $1.00 to $1000. I sold that pretty red and blue one for over a hundred bucks.
There are guys that dig outhouses looking for marbles, they find silver and gold too, but the money is in the marbles.
Attachment 426646

Attachment 426647

Attachment 426648
Nice blue oxblood in that pic. Condition is king with them and yes, a larger oxblood in nice shape can easily bring $50+

Old 10-17-2018, 10:29 PM
Elite Member

The marble in jkbemdavis's avatar is the one you should all be looking for. A 4 color Popeye is the Holy Grail of machine mades. It wouldn't be enough to retire on, but it would be enough for a Equinox and then you could retire off all the gold chains.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:39 PM
Supporter

Nice collection!

As an eight year old in 1970, I can say that I and many of the neighbor hood kids shot/collected marbles. Cap guns were very popular also! I envied the kid whose folks bought him a Schwinn ‘crate bike with stick shifter and big/small wheel combo, and front springs. That kid wouldn’t let anyone sit on, let alone touch that bike...Led Zepp were on a roll...times were good...

I haven’t dug many marbles, but my favorite was a clay stuck neatly in the end of an ornate silver thimble that I dug in a 150 yo farm yard. I think the marble saved that thimble from being crushed.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 PM

Fifty dollars for a marble, haha, you all have lost you marbles, bahaha.
Sounds like i need a marble expert to do some appraising for me.
Heck next time i get a marble in a Merc hole Im leaving the merc............ ok maybe not, haha.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterjim View post
The marble in jkbemdavis's avatar is the one you should all be looking for. A 4 color Popeye is the Holy Grail of machine mades. It wouldn't be enough to retire on, but it would be enough for a Equinox and then you could retire off all the gold chains.
Yes... that 4 color popeye in Mint condition sold (sigh....yes I sold it, but I had to) for $560. Classic machine made marbles in mint condition.... that's what we all should hope to find.