• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I need some true blue honest advice please

Jonesey89

A couple years back I was working as a shipping supervisor at a job that I honestly despised. The place would temp anyone off the streets and numerous times hypodermic needles were found in the restroom. Management saw it fit to commission shipping into janitorial. I refused and was met with punishment. Then I broke into the oil and natural gas industry and was hired on by a great fella. Hands down best boss I've ever had and probably ever will have. The thing is, since I've graduated high school, I've been trying to get in with a local coal mining company. Its basically one of those places that you have to be someones son to get a job at. So after ten years, i get an interview and get hired. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I toured one of their mines and loved it. Once I go to work there and learn stuff, I'll become a forth generation coal miner. So here is my predicament... I've always been happy to submit a two weeks notice. I usually cannot wait to leave. I'm dreading giving one now! Over time I've come to consider my supervisor my friend. I broke the news to my assistant supervisor and he said he's happy for me because he is a genuine good guy too. Its just one of those things though that I cannot decide how to go about it in the most professional and tactful way? A text message (probably not), a phone call, or a resignation letter? I should add that I might see my boss once a quarter so in person is not an option. I just want to leave on the best terms possible and let them know how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to work for them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Resignation later is the way to go. Highlight what you enjoyed about working there, skills you learned, etc etc. best way to leave on a positive note.

I can dig up an example if you’d like to see one.

A phone call sounds good to me,, although a heart-heart talk is always a smart choice as well. Tell him how much you appreciate what he is to you and how he has gotten you to where you now are. Maybe take him out to lunch and break the news to him.

First of all, congratulations on the new job. Second any boss worth their salt won't begrudge someone going to a better opportunity. Give them two weeks. Let them know how much you enjoyed working there. They will be happy for you and you'll be on good terms.

BCD

Don't burn your bridges. Be professional and give a written two week notice. Thank the company and supervisor for having given you this opportunity and wish them well and do this all in person, no phone call, email or text message. You never know what the future will bring, you might be looking for a job again in a year or two.

Coal miner I love it. I can’t give you much advice I’m only 18 so I don’t have the experience you do but congrats on the awesome job and finally getting it! Hard work pays off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If at all possible do it in person and as stated make sure that they understand that you are only quitting to take a better job.

I grew up I Wv. Graduated High School. Only job I could find was coal mining and dairy farming. I did not view either of those as a career choice for me so I took Uncle Sams invite and joined the Navy 20 years later I told them they could take this job and shove it and retired

A text message is a definite NO-NO, I would go with a well written letter of resignation, and give the appropriate two week notice. A phone call to clarify the situation would not hurt. It seems that you already know what you should do and with a face to face not being an option, the other options will suffice. Just remain professional and courteous.

First of all, congratulations on the new job. Second any boss worth their salt won't begrudge someone going to a better opportunity. Give them two weeks. Let them know how much you enjoyed working there. They will be happy for you and you'll be on good terms.

BCD

Good on ya Jonesey!

Thank you everyone for the feedback and the good wishes! I definitely feel better about the situation. I've honestly never left a job I've liked so this is new to me! I'll just be making a little more than what I make now per pay but with a lot more time home and less hours worked ultimately giving me more time to spend with my family.

Don't burn your bridges. Be professional and give a written two week notice. Thank the company and supervisor for having given you this opportunity and wish them well and do this all in person, no phone call, email or text message. You never know what the future will bring, you might be looking for a job again in a year or two.

if they were as happy with you as you were with them they will take you back if something goes wrong with the new job. Like Buford said good bosses want what's best for you. Coal has been a tricky business the past couple of years. My family has been digging it since 1920

Make sure that you consider your future in the coal industry. Will the job still be there in a few years or would you be better off staying where you are and advancing there. You have to decide which has the best future.

In order which I would try to pass the news along, in person would be best, followed by a phone call, a letter or email would not be great and a text would be the worst!
No need to burn bridges, you might be back knocking on his door for a job in the future, coal is not what it used to be as far as job security...

if they were as happy with you as you were with them they will take you back if something goes wrong with the new job. Like Buford said good bosses want what's best for you. Coal has been a tricky business the past couple of years. My family has been digging it since 1920

True, the business of coal is at the mercy of the political winds and those can change frequently.

Submit letter with 2 weeks heads up.
Also try and meet boss face to face in advance too, with letter in hand.

If they are your boss, you should be able to find face time with them unless they are on the road loads.

Take this situation serious with your leaving. You never know, you may need this person (boss) as a future reference for another future job.

Good luck.
Congrats on your new job.

Thank you again everyone! As expected, my boss was really nice and told me he hopes it works out but if it doesn't, I'm always welcome to come back and pick up right where I left off wage wise. That's a huge relief on my part. Good people do exist still. And great bosses!

Absolutely correct in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom