Stuff For Brains

herb n surf

I need to vent ...We had a family outing at the beach today (Florida) . The beach was packed with hundreds of people since the weather was perfect. I glance up and see a guy metal detecting (with an expensive unit) between the sunbathers with a full size shovel . ( now keep in mind that this is not some isolated beach ) I went up to him and asked him why the shovel ? Tried to explain a sand scoop does not leave the visual impression of someone tearing up beaches like the sight of someone with a full size shovel would . He looks at me with a blank stare and tells me he covers his holes whenever he goes to the PARK (park ???) or PUBLIC BEACH with his shovel . Tried again to explain that even if he does cover his holes there is the danger of MD'ers getting the blame for a hole that maybe some kids left uncovered resulting in someone complaining that detecting is to blame and ban detecting period.. another blank look . Bottom line folks try to keep a low profile when detecting and try to leave a good impression for the sake of the hobby . That guy had stuff for brains..

I see people on the beach all the time with shovels. They are not detecting, just making holes for the kids or a lagoon to sit in or burying each other. Kind of normal here in Jacksonville even with the beaches full of people. Nobody seems to care. One group had a hole big enough for 8 people to sit in. :D

I don't see a problem on the beach as long as you cover your holes.
I don't think I would use a #2 in a park!?

I need to vent ...We had a family outing at the beach today (Florida) . The beach was packed with hundreds of people since the weather was perfect. I glance up and see a guy metal detecting (with an expensive unit) between the sunbathers with a full size shovel . ( now keep in mind that this is not some isolated beach ) I went up to him and asked him why the shovel ? Tried to explain a sand scoop does not leave the visual impression of someone tearing up beaches like the sight of someone with a full size shovel would . He looks at me with a blank stare and tells me he covers his holes whenever he goes to the PARK (park ???) or PUBLIC BEACH with his shovel . Tried again to explain that even if he does cover his holes there is the danger of MD'ers getting the blame for a hole that maybe some kids left uncovered resulting in someone complaining that detecting is to blame and ban detecting period.. another blank look . Bottom line folks try to keep a low profile when detecting and try to leave a good impression for the sake of the hobby . That guy had stuff for brains..

you know what Herb,,,to some, we are dumpster divers,,,I had the worst experience ever last Monday morning when on a wide open beach and NOONE around, I picked up a hat, (with hopes they left money in it), and as I was standing there looking around to hope I saw the owner, guy came running from a distance and with headphones still on and threshold buzzing, didn;t here him as he came behind me and grabbed the hat out of my hand,,,MAN, I was mad,,,,,wearing someones hat to me would be like using their toothbrush,,,I mean really, what the heck would I want his hat for,,,,I ended up going back and finding him again after the shock wore off and when I found him,,,I had choice words that I think made him !!!! his pants literally,,,I mean, the rings, cell phones, keys, and so on that I have found and given back to owners and this dude thought I wanted his hat! I am still mad,,,,:mad:

I love Florida Beaches. You can have fun. I lived in Virginia Beach for a long time. You can not throw footballs or frisbees there. No thongs or small bikini tops. You can not spit, you can not cuss, you can not have large coolers or play music unless it is low. I am serious. Glad Florida is different. There is still respect by others without the strict rules. I have to say I would be offended by anyone who told me I was doing something wrong using a shovel to dig if I was filling my holes back in. I also give people wide berth too. I do not dig near anyone.

Last edited:
The problem has NOTHING to do with the shovel .. The problem lies in the fact the he is detecting IN BETWEEN the sunbathers ..
Wielding a giant metal scoop over your shoulder in between people is no less intimidating than dragging a shovel ..

Like others said, people have been digging holes at the beach since the beginning of time .. Can you say that about metal detecting scoops ??

The problem has NOTHING to do with the shovel .. The problem lies in the fact the he is detecting IN BETWEEN the sunbathers ..
Wielding a giant metal scoop over your shoulder in between people is no less intimidating than dragging a shovel ..

Like others said, people have been digging holes at the beach since the beginning of time .. Can you say that about metal detecting scoops ??
Yea, if you had a 720i over your shoulder you would look like the grim reaper! They are really intimidating for sure. The only time I shoulder carry is if someone is approaching that may be looking for trouble. :laughing:

I love Florida Beaches. You can have fun. I lived in Virginia Beach for a long time. You can not throw footballs or frisbees there. No thongs or small bikini tops. You can not spit, you can not cuss, you can not have large coolers or play music unless it is low. I am serious. Glad Florida is different. There is still respect by others without the strict rules. I have to say I would be offended by anyone who told me I was doing something wrong using a shovel to dig if I was filling my holes back in. I also give people wide berth too. I do not dig near anyone.

I ma I'm glad you told me about spitin on them VA. beaches!
I like spitin when I'm hunting!! So no VA. beach for me!!!:laughing::laughing:

Agree that you shouldn't carry your #3 BUCKET front end loader "sand scoop" in between sunbathers, etc.....having a second "lower profile" scoop is cool and doesn't intimidate people...but I normally try to steer clear of "established" sand/land owners. Now when they get up? Free for all!!:D

Save the #3 bucket scoop for the late evening hunts when less folks are around....

Yea, if you had a 720i over your shoulder you would look like the grim reaper! They are really intimidating for sure. The only time I shoulder carry is if someone is approaching that may be looking for trouble. :laughing:

Watch out they will try to get you there at night!!! It happened to me. When they seen my scoop was on my shoulder, they back down..

Ha ha.. I detected with this old guy a few times that used a HUGE Rambo type knife to dig up his targets. Someone finally complained about his big knife since he was digging with it in a city park. They accused him of trying to break into a parking meters. I guess they saw him with change in his hands. Of course he wasn't, just detecting along the sidewalk.

I'd highly recommend not using a Giant Rambo knife to dig up your finds :laughing:

Watch out they will try to get you there at night!!! It happened to me. When they seen my scoop was on my shoulder, they back down..
I got a conceal carry so I can summer night hunt and feel safer alone. I can tell you a hand gun with a laser sight in your pocket changes the game. I have seen many people on the beach at night at 3am. Some are drunk, some are not, some are naked, some are not. Some are leaving Trojan wrappers. Most just want to check you out and make jokes with you. One in a thousand want to rip you off and probably have a gun. The small Ruger can be hidden in your hand. Just be prepared and if you carry be legal and trained. You can not take the bullet back after it sparks.

Attachments

• ruger_lcp_lasermax.jpg
    ruger_lcp_lasermax.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 379
I think what Herb is trying to point out is that any hole left on that crowded beach will be immediately blamed on the "a$$hole with the metal detector and the giant shovel" whether he's to blame or not...

There is no issue here in CT... once the lifeguards show up.. metal detecting is over until they go home... find something else to do besides detecting while people are using the beach... :D

Another consideration...

All these are valid points. Here's one more: the sight of a detectorist on a crowded beach *reminds* more people to be careful with their valuable jewels. I've seen folks check their hand to see if their ring's still there. I've seen them take off jewelry and put it in their shoe. I've heard Dad tell the whole family to "take off your jewelry and give it to me" when he sees the detectorist.

We need to realize that hunting a crowded beach reduces our pickin's.

I ma I'm glad you told me about spitin on them VA. beaches!
I like spitin when I'm hunting!! So no VA. beach for me!!!:laughing::laughing:

It wasn't the No Spit'n that got me, it was the No Thongs or Small Bikini Tops!!:shock::D;):laughing:

Back
Top Bottom