• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tesoro Vaquero Users - Please Advise Your Settings !!

Hacksaw-BoB

Forum Supporter
Hello Tesoro Vaquero Users.

When sweeping in grassy areas, such as parks, mainly looking for coins:

(after setting ground balance)

1. Do you operate in All metal or Discriminate mode ?

2. What is the Sensitivity setting you are using ??

I would really appreciate your feedback.

Many Thanks . . . Hacksaw-BoB from So AZ

The river.It doesnt disc iron but with the large coil will go deep.Just on the L of foil is best.Turn it up to supertune.Threshold at about 1 o clock.

parks= coin hunting

Discr. mode,
Discr. on two or iron, after finding target thumb up to past four for coins or just under four for trash and hopefully nickels and rings.

Once Ground balanced,I fold the threashold over to max.Sensitivity all the way to boost depending on TV signals. In town, a 9 /10 may be max..discrimination to iron, ONLY....You notice, I DIG EVERYTHING..Didn't used to. Then when playing with the coils, rings and distance,,,,, all those "bad sounds" may have been good targets at depth...I'll suggest you do air testing on targets all over your coil, not just the maximum position.LISTEN to the difference in sound at distance..:).Depths are not uniform on the 8 by 9 std coil, and the over lap may need to be tighter than you have been doing...Just love all those videos where "Detectorists", tip toe through the fields 6 inches off the ground, rapid swinging, and missing 50 percent of the area on each pass. Seems to me I did that, and when I go back to a" hunted out" spot, always manage to find good stuff..I know one field that may have more left than I dug. If you don't slow down now, don't worry, old age will do it for you, Cordially Nad

Many, Many thanks for all the advice.

When I go out on Saturday, I'll do some fine tuning to the Vaquero.

I am finding coins, surface to 4 inches in the ground and the usual junk. The sites are also from the 1950s and perhaps the coins would not be any deeper than 4 inches anyway. I just want to make sure I am not missing those targets a little deeper. . . .

BTW, I find the pinpointing on the Vaquero very impressive !!

Thanks again . .. BoB

I set my Eldorado to whatever the ground balance needs to stay humming, then I use 7-8 for sensitivity and I use discriminate mode.

Thats what the gentleman who sold it to me said to do, and so far I am doing ok.

Learning to tune out stupid gum wrappers was my first lesson...

:lol:

I've seen this question many times "what settings do you use ?" The truth is what someone else uses in his or her location may not be right for you and the particular location your working. I think a rule of thumb would be use the least amount of disc. and the most sens. you can get away with in any given site.

For instance; in a farm field where there is little to no junk to annoy you, you would use much different settings than you would at a busy park where there might be half dozen signals in every square foot. This is why the machines have controls in the first place.

About your 4 inch deep coins, most (not all for sure) will be within 4 to 6 inches. I have dug arrowheads that many hundreds of years old they are no more than 6 inches deep (again in MOST cases)

Back
Top Bottom