First attempt at a coin ring

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I tried my luck at making a coin ring the other day and I must say it's a lot harder than I thought. Good thing I chose to try a 2005 quarter and not a silver one. I learned having the right tools is important. I have ordered a steel ring mandrel and hammer for the next project.

Here is the finished ring. You notice the grip marks on the rim. Another lesson learned. Put better padding on the vice grips.

cr6.jpg

Good first ring...much better than mine would be (for sure).

I wonder though...

Would a silver coin be more malleable than a clad coin? Perhaps some of the gripping issues would be easier to resolve since less pressure would be necessary to hold the coin.

I used a cheap dremel tool I got a Wally World, a steel punch and 2x4's as a hammer. My hand bares the scars from making due with what I had at the time. I got a combo steel ring mandrel/resize that goes from size 1-16 and a mallet(brass & Nylon) for $25 on ebay. It should make the job much easier. I'm hoping that using a silver coin will be easier as well.

Here is a few shots of the process.

Dremel
tool22.jpg

Finding the center
cr1.jpg

Grips that need more padding
cr2.jpg

Drilling I just went from smaller to bigger bit.
cr3.jpg

De-burring the hole
cr5.jpg

Then I put it on the steel punch and used a 2x4 to beat the rim down little by little. I made the hole slightly off center so the date would stand out a little more.

WooHoo, just got my mandrel and hammer in the mail today. On my next attempt I will get step by step pictures so you can see how it goes. No more battered fingers :D

mandrel.jpg

Quite a process...When I was in the Navy, we would do it with a spoon (a lot of time at sea, when not on watch).... we used silver halves and could usually tap one out in thirty days. Then the machine shop would drill it for us...RickO

coin ring

I made one from a sliver halve dollar. By* coining the eage you can make these almost perfectly round. I was in the navy i made some while on watch. my watch was on the generator 4 hrs at a time. we used a table spoon.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 4,152
Great job. Thanks for sharing the how to info. Guess I will have to get some silver off ebay and try it out.

Back
Top Bottom