Safari id question. Settings?

JIM BL

MINELAB SAFARI.I LOVE THIS DETECTOR. I AM DIGGING ALOT OF PENNIES LATELY,WITH ID#S OF 37,38 AND 39. I HAVE DUG INDIAN PENNIES AT 34, BUT UNTIL RECENTLY,PENNIES WERE USUALLY A 35,DIMES WERE 37 AND QUARTERS WERE 38 OR 39. SETTINGS OF HIGH TRASH DENSITY,AUTO SENSITIVITY, 0 THRESHHOLD. I DO NOISE CANCEL ON THE GROUND,EVERY TIME I CHANGE SOIL LOCATION OR SENSITIVITY SETTINGS. MAYBE SOME SAFARI OWNERS HAVE SOME IDEAS.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!:grin:

MINELAB SAFARI.I LOVE THIS DETECTOR. I AM DIGGING ALOT OF PENNIES LATELY,WITH ID#S OF 37,38 AND 39. I HAVE DUG INDIAN PENNIES AT 34, BUT UNTIL RECENTLY,PENNIES WERE USUALLY A 35,DIMES WERE 37 AND QUARTERS WERE 38 OR 39. SETTINGS OF HIGH TRASH DENSITY,AUTO SENSITIVITY, 0 THRESHHOLD. I DO NOISE CANCEL ON THE GROUND,EVERY TIME I CHANGE SOIL LOCATION OR SENSITIVITY SETTINGS. MAYBE SOME SAFARI OWNERS HAVE SOME IDEAS.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!:grin:

Ground minerals, soil dampness and 500 other things effect reading. Don't worry about the #'s as much as the audio. Audio is always the best thing to go by.

I had the exact same problem. At first my Safari was I.D-ing pennies, dimes and quarters correctly, but as time went on more and more pennies began reading like dimes (38) and a few as quarters (39) while at the same time some dimes began reading as high reading pennies (37) including an occasional quarter. I have found the higher reading pennies to mostly be of the pure copper type (pre-82), while others were surface finds. It still doesn't explain why they were they originally I.D-ing correctly, nor why some dimes and a few quarters are now reading lower (-38) part of the time. I had thought that it might be because I had gradually used more sensitivity as time went on, but that can't be the problem as I see you use auto-sensitivity. As far as the audio goes, I really haven't noticed much difference when the pennies are reading up in the dime and quarter range, admittedly my hearing isn't the best. I really like how hard the Safari hits on coins and its excellent depth, but with the improper I.D-ing of different denomination coins, being a coin-shooter I can't waste time digging pennies I.D-ing as dimes and quarters and vice-versa. As a result I have gone back to using the XT-70 for the most part. By the way I have tried using factory resets with no change in results, was wondering if you by chance also use a cross saving program?

Have either of you done a factory reset? It might help. I know that other MineLab's benefit from it when they go a bit off. No experience with a Safari though.

Doing a factory reset on my XT-70 has done wonders for it when it starts acting up a little. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case with the Safari, I've seen no difference after doing a reset on the Safari. Like I said previously, it hits really hard on coins. It's just frustrtating never knowing for sure what kind of coin is going to be under the coil, especially when being strictly a clad and silver hunter for the most part. If anyone else has any other ideas, sure would like to hear about them.

Most pennies were coming up around 34 for me, but just the other day it read 37 on an 1800's large cent and again in a different field on a King George halfpence. I'm guessing the pure form of copper pushed the number up to 37.

I seem to be getting in the habit of digging only things that come up between 32 and 39 { only because most everything else has always been trash } but it dawned on me, what if I am missing gold rings, etc? I have no idea what number a gold ring would come up as on the safari. Gotta break that habit but when on the beaches I do dig most every solid signal above 6 but in the cornfields I guess just knowing the chances of a gold ring are kinda slim , I'm ignoring anything below 32

Thanks for ideas and comments

minelab safari.i love this detector. I am digging alot of pennies lately,with id#s of 37,38 and 39. I have dug indian pennies at 34, but until recently,pennies were usually a 35,dimes were 37 and quarters were 38 or 39. Settings of high trash density,auto sensitivity, 0 threshhold. I do noise cancel on the ground,every time i change soil location or sensitivity settings. Maybe some safari owners have some ideas.
Thanks in advance!!:grin:

thanks so far,for ideas and comments! I have cross saved all settings to relic mode. It is frustrating tho,getting a solid 37,38,39(should be a dime or quarter) ,to dig another memorial penny.
Oh well, it is only a hobby,it is good up and down exercise and like fishing,you never know for sure what you caught. I do wonder why this is becoming the new normal. More ideas?

Been getting a lot of rain lately? Soggy ground often results in unusually high TID's.

And not that it matters much if you're not paying attention to the null, but your threshold should not be 0. Zero is essencially off. It needs to be "barely audible" at least.

Also, noise cancel should be performed with the coil 18" or so above the ground, not resting on it.

Sorry i dont agree

Sorry longhair,but i don't agree with you. According to andy s's book on the safari, there is no reason to use the threshhold at all.the ground balance is to be done on the ground. This is different than the operator manual,but is supposed to be the new and better way. The ground being very wet,could be a factor. Thanks

In your original post, you said that you noise cancel on the ground. That is an incorrect method.

And if you don't use the threshold, you can't hear the null or other tone breaks and variations. If that's OK with you it's OK with me.

Have been just told that using the "Low Trash Density" on the Safari will help it I.D. various coin denominations better, but haven't tried it out yet to see if it makes a difference.

In your original post, you said that you noise cancel on the ground. That is an incorrect method.

And if you don't use the threshold, you can't hear the null or other tone breaks and variations. If that's OK with you it's OK with me.

He's saying that andy's book tells you to noise cancel on the ground, and it does. Andy says minelab is wrong telling you to raise it. His argument is that you hunt on the ground not a foot off the ground. He claims when you noise cancel on the ground it takes the ground minerals into consideration

He's saying that andy's book tells you to noise cancel on the ground, and it does. Andy says minelab is wrong telling you to raise it. His argument is that you hunt on the ground not a foot off the ground. He claims when you noise cancel on the ground it takes the ground minerals into consideration
And I can buy that.
I just couldn't believe that Andy would say that "0" threshold was best, or even OK.

Back
Top Bottom