• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Made a PVC Sheath

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Let me begin by saying, this was NOT my brainchild, so I want credit to go where it's due.

I was lurking on Finds while having morning coffee, and saw where a member had made one. I thought it was a pretty slick idea, and decided to make one myself, but added my own twist to it.

I made it to for both my diggers (the Fiskars, and True Temper), I also made it longer than the original designer, to completely cover the blade of both differs, and also added a spot for my ProPointer.

Still needs de-burred, and cleaned-up a bit.

IM004339.jpg

IM004340.jpg

IM004342.jpg

IM004343.jpg

IM004345.jpg

Thanks, but again, not my idea, so the credit goes to the guy who thought it up. I thought it was a great idea as well, which was why I decided to follow his lead.

Credit where it's due, but this is a good looking execution of someone else's idea. Are you able to post a link to the original idea/instructions? I wouldn't mind trying this out, but I haven't played with forming PVC before.

EDIT: nevermind - I found the original. I still like yours better, though. I'd worry about cutting myself with the business end of the digger with the original, shorter sheath.

Sometimes an idea someone posts is just sort of an experimental one. The Originator may have just put his idea to use, maybe to refine it later, or just made something that served his purpose (I have no idea which).

That said, it's easier for someone else (me in this case) to add something to anothers idea, since the hard part was done ;)

I added added some color and clear coat

IM004346.jpg

Awesome! I was just looking at some scrap 1 1/4 inch PVC this morning, wasn't wide enough for the Fiskars, hadn't thought to melt it. I was thinking of just bolting a 8 in section to the side of a 2 gallon paint bucket, I've been using for hauling the gear, finds, and trash.

how did you get it squished down?

I only date Big Gals ;)

OK....soften it with heat

Awesome! I was just looking at some scrap 1 1/4 inch PVC this morning, wasn't wide enough for the Fiskars, hadn't thought to melt it. I was thinking of just bolting a 8 in section to the side of a 2 gallon paint bucket, I've been using for hauling the gear, finds, and trash.

Sheath is 1.5", PP holder is 1.25"

that's SO cool! i love how the silver flake turned out!

Rustoleum "Hammered" Paint for Plastic

Had some extra pipe left-over, so I went ahead and just used it up. Kind of neat, because you can actually bump the digger into the sheath, and it will lock itself into place. You can invert it, and shake it, but it won't fall out.

IM004348.jpg

That's neat! A practical and lower cost alternative to leather sheaths. :yes:

We could be witnessing a paradigm shift in the making. :wow:

Worst thing about it all is....I can't take the credit :laughing:

Best part, when it gets muddy, just hose it off.

I'm kind of surprised someone hadn't thought of this before now, unless I hadn't run across the post until this morning.

If anyone is on Finds, send the OP a thumbs-up for me!

Is there direction on making them? how did you attach the PP to the digging tool sheath?
Thank's

Is there direction on making them? how did you attach the PP to the digging tool sheath?
Thank's

Not really, cut it, soften it (heat, just be aware PVC will gas, so ventilate), form it (I just pressed it). I used plastic weld epoxy to attach the PP holder.

Back
Top Bottom