Protecting Pro Pointer tip?

Super glue doesn't stick well to plastics, tool grip grip is soft. The best thing is to make sure you clean it well with acetone and then use a slow-cure epoxy. JB Weld is very strong and tough. Stay away from the 5-minute or quick cure epoxies, they are not as tough and don't stick as well.

Great idea Jeff! And AZWHIP thanks for posting the pic, it makes it easy to go right to the hardware store and pick one up.

Super glue doesn't stick well to plastics, tool grip grip is soft. The best thing is to make sure you clean it well with acetone and then use a slow-cure epoxy. JB Weld is very strong and tough. Stay away from the 5-minute or quick cure epoxies, they are not as tough and don't stick as well.

Acetone is a very strong solvent, and will melt plastic. This could be used to do the repair alone, since the acetone will eventually evaporate, and the plastic will harden again.

Solvent-grad alcohol (90% and above) is great for cleaning plastics, and most delicate materials, without harming them. Use it in electronics, and many other things (mostly because it's handy). Cheap, and easy to find in the pharmacy section in many stores. Check the label, there are different concentrations.

I don't use my pinpointer for a probe or digging tool, those I carry and use separately. Really shouldn't wear out. I do push loose dirt around with the tip, but our soil, is basically discolored sand...

A quick wipe with acetone will not melt the plastic, and acetone is the best solvent for prepping surfaces for slow cure epoxies. I've used acetone many times on plastic with no adverse effects. Perhaps if you left certain types of plastic to soak in acetone it may dissolve, but just wiping it down isn't going to dissolve it.

Lots of great ideas! And you are welcome choppa.... Yeah... These tips... Months later... No wear at all yet.... Working great for me... Again thanks folks... Y'all rock!

Cool thread AZ, I may have to get some tips just as a preventative maintenance. I've had my propointer for 2days now, and can't. imagine hunting without it.

Also is it safe to blast the dirt out of the speaker vents? It cakes up in there quick!

Howdy... Ok... I'd put the tips on... They are cheap... Fit like a glove and really protect the tip..this az ground and me... Were brutal lol. As for the speaker... I never blasted mine... But... Almost from day one I wrapped black electrical tape around mine... Helps several ways... Helps keep moisture out... Dirt out... And makes it a bit quieter... All things I found useful.. May want to consider that as well? Just my preferences. Hope this helps.

Ron

Sounds like air bubble from the molding process. If it is under warranty I'd contact Garrett. Maybe they will replace it. If not filling the holes should do, unless you think you have worn the housing thin.

Howdy... Ok... I'd put the tips on... They are cheap... Fit like a glove and really protect the tip..this az ground and me... Were brutal lol. As for the speaker... I never blasted mine... But... Almost from day one I wrapped black electrical tape around mine... Helps several ways... Helps keep moisture out... Dirt out... And makes it a bit quieter... All things I found useful.. May want to consider that as well? Just my preferences. Hope this helps.

Ron

Yep, things got a little screwy tonight.. it started acting all whacky I cleaned out the vent holes gonna let it dry overnight, and then it gets a wrap of gorilla tape in the morning. Dang it Garrett if only you left the speaker port out, you would have the perfect pinpointer!

Back
Top Bottom