Got permission then asked to leave

WildDigger

Elite Member
I was calling on a house for sale and after the owner said no for now but he would call me back later, a lady across the street asked for some help. she needed help hanging a big picture so I helped. Then she asked what I was doing if I was going to buy the house across the street. I told her no I was trying to obtain permission from the owner to metal detect it. She asked about the hobby then said you can detect mine. :D Cool. so I started in the front yard and her son in law came by and asked what I was doing. I told him what I was doing and she offered me to do it in her yard after helping her. Well I guess that did not go over well with him. He left but I guess he called her (he never went inside):mad:. After about 45 min she said he did not want me to dig any more even though you can not see where I was. I said ok and thanks for letting me do what I did.
At least I got a wheat and a 1943 Merc. :yes::yes:
A51A0A93-446F-48E0-BF77-B7F5B3104A4A-14770-00001145500EC8C2.jpg

Well some good finds, and you did get to keep them too. But that sucks otherwise. :no:

Yeah not mad but I was hoping to be able to hang around till some neighbors came home in hopes of be able to get permission at those houses also.

I have had this happen at least 5 times to me with, son in laws or sons, they assume your taking advantage or an older person and try to run you off. Frickin people just need to keep their noses out of other peoples business!

I have had this happen at least 5 times to me with, son in laws or sons, they assume your taking advantage or an older person and try to run you off. Frickin people just need to keep their noses out of other peoples business!

I agree. Heck she offered and I did not ask. I was just going to help her out then hit some curb strips.

At least you did get a silver out of the deal. Sorry about the rest of it. Think the worst story I heard was when the owner granted permission then kept the finds. Always a lesson in human nature to be had reading this board. Both good and bad.

At least you did get a silver out of the deal. Sorry about the rest of it. Think the worst story I heard was when the owner granted permission then kept the finds. Always a lesson in human nature to be had reading this board. Both good and bad.

LOL we had one do that to a few of us the other week. well she let us keep the trash. I stopeed detecting after she took a 1976 dime I found...:laughing::laughing:

There wasn't a hidden camera any where was there? They wasn't doing an episode of "You've Been Framed!" Only in your case, picture framed! It is unusual for a relative who is not the house owner to cause controversy! Unless he was just trying to protect the mother-in-law? I think I would have asked the reason for the about turn!

There wasn't a hidden camera any where was there? They wasn't doing an episode of "You've Been Framed!" Only in your case, picture framed! It is unusual for a relative who is not the house owner to cause controversy! Unless he was just trying to protect the mother-in-law? I think I would have asked the reason for the about turn!

She said he was the one that did the yard work and I was going to mess it up. :laughing::laughing:

That's a shame.

A similar thing happened on one of our club sites a couple of years ago.

The farmer let us go on his fields, and we used them for about three years.
Then he had a problem with his brother who decided he didn't want us back.

He never gave a reason.

A great shame, as that's where I found my only gold coin.

Something very much like your experience happened to me. After receiving permission to hunt her property the land owner gave me a plant to take home. At that time I promised her a couple of bars of homemade soap. When it was time to hunt, a son showed up and would not allow access to the property.

About ten days later I stopped at the home and fulfilled my promise and delivered the soap. The son was not there and the home owner welcomed me to hunt. I guess it was timing. Jack

If the son-in law was so concerned about the old lady, why does she have to invite a total stranger into her house to do a simple handyman task? I think the son-in law was just being a you know what. Stay in touch with the old lady, son-in laws tend to get recycled pretty frequently these days and his turn will come pretty soon. hambo

Your story sounds like deja vu for me. I spoke to this guy in a town where the whole town is on the national register of historic places. He said he bought this house for his son and daughter in law and that I could detect it. The house had a sign out front saying it was built in 1740. I was thrilled to hunt it. After 90 minutes I scored my first and only SLQ. 20 minutes after that his daughter in law came home and said " I know my father in law said you could detect here, but I dont feel comfortable with you in my yard. Please leave." With that i left but John, her father in law, gave me permission for his house. I just started it last week and even though his house is only from 1995, the property is old and already scored two IH's and a silver dime. I feel for ya and know exactly how it feels. I so badly want to get back to that 1740's house...

Back
Top Bottom