So why not extra-virgin olive oil?

samandnoah

Forum Supporter
I've seen many folks recommend the olive oil soak for coins to help clean them. But almost invariably they add, "but don't use extra-virgin olive oil, just plain".

Why is that? What am I missing?

Also, what do you most of you do after you take it out of the olive oil to clean that off? TSP? Dish detergent & water?

Thanks!
Rich

Although this has never been described in detail, I think it is a matter of expense. Plain olive oil is cheaper than extra virgin! I just blot the coin with a paper towel after the oil bath and then pick at it with a toothpick to remove the small particles of dirt.

The organic acids contained in olive oil are the cleaning agents and they are a complex mixture of fatty acids. Their relative concentration varies depending on the pressings of the olives. Extra Virgin oil, being the first pressing, has the lowest concentration of acids, so it is not a good agent for cleaning corroded coins.

The organic acids contained in olive oil are the cleaning agents and they are a complex mixture of fatty acids. Their relative concentration varies depending on the pressings of the olives. Extra Virgin oil, being the first pressing, has the lowest concentration of acids, so it is not a good agent for cleaning corroded coins.

Thanks Rudy,
That really clarifies the differences.

Thanks Rudy,
That really clarifies the differences.

When I said "complex mixture of fatty acids", I wasn't kidding. Here is a list, together with the variability of their concentration based on the ripeness of the olives, their variety and the pressing: :shock:

Saturated fatty acids
Palmitic acid: 7.5–20.0%
Stearic acid: 0.5–5.0%
Arachidic acid: <0.6%
Behenic acid: <0.3%
Myristic acid: <0.05%
Lignoceric acid: <0.2%

Unsaturated fatty acids
Monounsaturated
Oleic acid: 55.0–83.0%
Palmitoleic acid: 0.3–3.5%
Polyunsaturated
Linoleic acid: 3.5–21.0 %
Linolenic acid: <1.0%

Oleic acid is the most prevalent and you can see how it can vary depending on the pressing.

Yes, Rudy, thank you very much! That explains it quite well. I was concerned that somehow the extra virgin olive oil could be more damaging to the coins rather than less effective! Now I understand.
Thanks!
Rich

Thanks for this question and to everyone who answered! I have a few coins that I was going to soak but was going to ask "why olive oil?" and if plain old vegetable oil would work. Olive oil it is then!

How about transmission fluid??
If a HAVE to work on a car and my hands won't come clean I use ATF.
Clean Clean Clean!!!

Mineral oil, being non-organic, is a better choice.

My experience is that a hot peroxide bath and then olive oil soak really darkens copper coins, so I stopped using this method.

I use a pressure washer and that really gets any grime out of all the fine details of my coins. I take a towel and lay the coin on it and you have to start the washer on top of the coin so it won't move and presto no more dirt and it leaves any patina on the coin

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom