bottle & pipe stem

vtbuck223

My wife and I were walking a stream and found these. She found the bottle just resting in the middle of the stream...probably was dislodged from the bank during last years flooding...or this spring. It's amazing that they can survive being battered along the stones of the river...but it is very thick glass. We also found the clay pipe stem...which has some lettering on both sides...amongst which can clearly be made out the word "Scotland"...are there any pipe experts out there that can help to date these....seems strange that we were importing clay pipes from Scotland...weren't they pretty cheaply made here in America during this time?
1829whitney019.jpg

1829whitney020.jpg

1829whitney021.jpg

1829whitney025.jpg

My wife and I were walking a stream and found these. She found the bottle just resting in the middle of the stream...probably was dislodged from the bank during last years flooding...or this spring. It's amazing that they can survive being battered along the stones of the river...but it is very thick glass. We also found the clay pipe stem...which has some lettering on both sides...amongst which can clearly be made out the word "Scotland"...are there any pipe experts out there that can help to date these....seems strange that we were importing clay pipes from Scotland...weren't they pretty cheaply made here in America during this time?
1829whitney019.jpg

1829whitney020.jpg

1829whitney021.jpg

1829whitney025.jpg

Great eye candy! Is that a round bottom bottle, or is it just the view?

I can see why it survived the river. Its hand blown from the looks of it, due in part to the bubbles in the glass.

Are there any maker marks in the glass?

Nice fine!! I would try walking upstream and see if you can find the dump they came from. You might find more great stuff.

To bad the pipe isn't in one piece. :(

Found this while searcing the web.

http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t4953-w-white-co-clay-pipe-from-glasgow-found. Scroll down, because I think I may have found your pipe.

W. White and Sons, according to this page, were in business between 1805-1955.

In an archaeological sense, that narrows down your search. Practically, 150 years is a big range. But it's something.

HH&GL

I can see the words "Scotland" on one side of tube. The other side of tube may read "McDougal."

"McDougal" may refer to the tobacco pipe maker Duncan McDougall (note spelling) who started manufacturing in Glasgow in 1847. After 1891 all goods imported into the US had to be labeled with country of origin which means this pipe came to the U.S. after this date.

Does this help??

Thanks for the excellent info on the pipe....very interesting....we have found stems in the past but never any whole ones like that in the article you posted...that would be a truly amazing find. As far as the bottle....it is a round bottom...no visible marks that I can see....once it gets completely cleaned up it should look great in the window. I have heard all kinds of stories about these round bottom bottles....from them being used as ballast in ships...to being on their side so the corks won't dry out and spill their contents....does anybody know for sure what the story is with them?

Im pretty sure that the bottle was used for carbonated liquids. It was stronger than the squared off type bottoms and could hold the pressure.

Nice find

Nice find. Those bottles were transported on there side, so that the cork in the top of the bottle would not dry out. Its known as a torpedo or cucumber bottle.

Back
Top Bottom