Auction find: Civil War Tintype

NHKeith

Forum Supporter
So I went to an auction friday night of an estate of a antique dealer from boston. I got this Civil War tintype photo and frame. I paid 60+12% ~~ 67 $

Its got a uniformed soldier in the photo. I took it out of the frame. to see I could find some more details about who he was, but I didn't have any luck. I just wanted to share.

Here is a photo with the copper crafted frame:

Here is a photo without the frame also

Very cool picture. You might want to see if you can figure out what emblem is on his hat and also his coat buttons. That might help you narrow it down some. Maybe others can give you more tips. That's someone's Great-Great Grandpa hopefully. I know that in my family I had relatives on both sides of that conflict.

here is the best I could do with your pic for the hat, a better picture of the stuff would help

Attachments

• 2573599590094226401S500x500Q85.jpg
    2573599590094226401S500x500Q85.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 136
I have collected 19th Century images for 20+ years. You did very good! With the clarity, exposure, full uniform and bayonet, I would not have let that image go for less than $175-$200.

I am very happy for you!
Doug

I have collected 19th Century images for 20+ years. You did very good! With the clarity, exposure, full uniform and bayonet, I would not have let that image go for less than $175-$200.

I am very happy for you!
Doug

Thanks for the info.

The auction was loaded with good stuff.

i bought 8.50 in silver halfs for 150(+12%) (3 barbers, 3 franklins, 10 Walking, 1 64 kennedy) the third item in. 168 $

and I was shocked the prices were so low on some stuff, I knew those images have some value. I could read the belt, and saw him with a saber, and the price was right where I had wrote on my sheet after looking at all the stuff there.

I would have NOT bought the silver in the beginning and bought some other stuff later on but I brought only so much loot. and set a limit to my buying.

Back
Top Bottom