Upside down metal bowl or pot

didymus

A few weeks back I was MD'ing and got a hit. I started digging, and digging and digging. Couldn't find anything, pinpointer says "yeah somethings there". So I kept digging. At about the 8" level I hit a flat surface. Dug around about 2/3's of it and found that it appears to be an upside down bowl or pot. I couldn't get it out, there is a 2" root grown across the top. It would have to be cut away to remove the pot and I didn't have the right tools..

The pot or whatever is not thick. I would guess it's about the thickness of old granite ware. There is about a 1" hole rusted though it. I probed through the hole with about an 8" screwdriver and only felt soft dirt. I was able to dig around one side of the pot and about 5" down there is a rusted edge, not sure if it is the rim or if the side has rusted away.

The pot is about a foot or so away from a live oak that is about 20" thick. The pot had to have been there before the tree. There are also some live oaks planted in a line within a hundred feet that are probably 5' or more in thickness, so there's some history going on at the site.

I asked my wife why she thought someone would bury a pot upside down and she thinks it was to protect something.

And then there's this old legend that I came across...
Early in the 19th century, nine slaves of Breaux Bridge, St. Martin Parish, killed their master, Narcisse Thibodeaux, and made off with this hoard of gold. Captured by a posse, the slaves were set to digging their own graves. When the job was completed, a volley of shots rang out, and the slaves toppled into the ditch. One bag of gold was not recovered, and it is believed to be buried on the old Thibodeaux plantation.

I don't know where the old Thibodeaux plantation was located so I don't know if this has anything to do with that story, but it makes you think
:yes:

I probably won't have the opportunity to get back there for a couple of weeks.
Yeah, I know this has been kind of long, but what do you think?
Anyone had any experience finding an upside down pot with something of value beneath it?

I found an old bucket like that. I dug a huge hole, on private vacant property with permission ;), and came up with nothing... just a rusted bucket and a sore arm. Hope yours is better!! I just couldn't give up just in case there WAS something at the bottom!!!

why not

I would have to know! If it is just a pot it would still be a good story and conversation piece. Good luck. HH:roll::roll:

could be a dog dish that was left there.I once saw some odd piles of dirt around a tree dad a hit dug up an old snap at 8 in then went around this big tree another hit dug n cut my way down thru 12 in of roots to find rovers bowel. just dig it anyway or its gonna haunt ya..

LMAO@rovers bowel.............................

bowl

Could be a dog dish that was left there.I once saw some odd piles of dirt around a tree had a hit.. dug up an old snap at 8 in down.. then went around this big tree another hit dug n cut my way down thru 12 in of roots to find rovers bowel. just dig it anyway or its gonna haunt ya..

Could be a dog dish that was left there.I once saw some odd piles of dirt around a tree had a hit.. dug up an old snap at 8 in down.. then went around this big tree another hit dug n cut my way down thru 12 in of roots to find rovers bowel. just dig it anyway or its gonna haunt ya..

Rover may be needing his bowel back. Or even more likely, he isn't going to be needing it at all anymore.

Found under overturned bucket

In an old logging camp site I found a rusted out, overturned bucket and quit with just the inverted bottom showing in the hole. The whole area was full of old broken bottles and rusted out speckleware. I just couldn't get it out of my mind and went back at the end of the hunt and dug the whole bucket up. It turned out that the bucket had covered and protected a little brown jug from harm. A friend suggested it was a syrup jug but I suspect, that in a logging camp, it may have held a liquid that was a lot stronger. By all means, dig the whole bowl up! If you don't, it will always haunt you. metalwrkr

Attachments

• 002 (800x600).jpg
    002 (800x600).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 388
cool jug!

Been checking on this occasionally to see what you found out. Never know what you're gonna find and where you're gonna find it! HH

Back
Top Bottom