Cen tech pinpointer

John W.H.

Elite Member
Just bought a pinpointer at harbor frieght and tried it out in my yard. Works surprisingly well for a $17 unit. I've heard some people say they have had trouble with dirt/sand getting into the on off switch, it comes with a pouch that covers the box, I think if I just keep it on it may eliminate the problem. You can still operate it with the cover on.:yes:

Did you find that with the pinpointer you almost had to actually be touching the object? I tried mine in the yard and that's what it seemed like.

It sounds off about an inch or so away. Try turning the sensitivity knob until the unit sounds off, then back off the knob just till it goes silent. I think I would not like it to alert me till it's right next to the target, that narrows down your search area.

I tried to set the sensativity that way but maybe I'll try again. My pinpointer almost has to be touching the object.

Replace the battery. I had the same problem with mine. I found that the battery, that came with the pinpointer, left a lot to be desired. I replaced it with a Duracell and it's performance really improved.

Also do a search. There are threads here that you can follow to modify that CenTec and make it much better, for little cash. I did mine and it works very good. Replaced the button with a better one, Disconnected the speaker and wired in a vibrating motor, adjusted the sensitivity inside the unit, etc........check it out.

I just got one. For $17 bucks it works as good as any $50 dollar plus pointer. Adjust the sensitivity like stated. Mine is working fine with the crappy battery that was included. Anyway how many toys can you buy these days with the battery included?
I bet some bright spark could buy a bunch of these; pretty them up and sell them for $50 bucks on ebay.:lol:

I just got one. For $17 bucks it works as good as any $50 dollar plus pointer. Adjust the sensitivity like stated. Mine is working fine with the crappy battery that was included. Anyway how many toys can you buy these days with the battery included?
I bet some bright spark could buy a bunch of these; pretty them up and sell them for $50 bucks on ebay.:lol:

Yep! Try punching a hole in the pouch it comes with for the sensitivty knob to stick through. That way you can keep most of the dirt out of it!;)

I found a little rubber boot at the boat store for the push button. Some glue and presto dirt proof.

Back
Top Bottom