Harbor Freight CenTech pinpointer modification

JunkInTheTrunk

Elite Member
NOT so Alpha Romeo 1 5 friendly California :(
I was bored last night and couldn't sleep. PLUS, I needed to get ready for work the next morning. Okay, I hope you guys don't get mad at me for doing this:roll: This is my version of doing it. I'm eventually going to put on two slide switches in place of the jumbper blocks. IF you guys want to see the "end result" with the slide switches then I will post that part. Other than that... I used a small cell phone vibrator motor, but NOT knowing exactly what voltage to put across it. So I hooked it to my power supply and started turning the knob and watching the current draw. It SEEMED to run smooth at around 2V @ 0.16mA. I'm THINKING about POSSIBLY bumping it up to 3V??? The mounting holes for R14 on a fresh 9V battery gave close to 8.8V so I just rounded up to 9V and calculated roughly 43 ohms. There is NO "43 ohm" resistor so you have to either use a 39 ohm OR a 47 ohm. I used the 47 ohm because that is what I had available. Anyways, gotta get going to work, but... again... I hope you guys/gals don't get mad for me posting this... "my" version??? HH \_

btw, let me know if you want to see the slide switch mods??? THAT'S IF you guys don't complain to the mods in telling them to delete this post:lol::laughing::roll:

Attachments

• headers_configuration.jpg
    headers_configuration.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,913
  • headers_ziptie.jpg
    headers_ziptie.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,876
  • motor_raised_description.jpg
    motor_raised_description.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,656
  • motor_trace_description.jpg
    motor_trace_description.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,720
  • R14_motor_labeled.jpg
    R14_motor_labeled.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,804
Being as I am techno-stupid, I will have to wait for the movie to come out. :lol: I couldn't tell you what this things would do if my eyes were good enough to read them because my brain doesn't work that direction!:lol:

Being as I am techno-stupid, I will have to wait for the movie to come out. :lol: I couldn't tell you what this things would do if my eyes were good enough to read them because my brain doesn't work that direction!:lol:

DNJ, if you're refering to the "small text"... I'm sorry that it came out that way:no: The only thing I can think of is:

1) right click and copy and save to your computer OR
2) tmp increase the magnification of the screen, which is usually on the lower right corner or your display, which is usually displaying a little icon with 100% next to it. Using this to increase it accordingly. Then when you're done reading just put the magnification downto 100% or wherever it was originally sitting.

All the mod does is add a vibrator motor to the CenTech Pinpointer with or WITHOUT the buzzer. The jumpers show what enables/disables the motor and/or sound. On the circuit board there is a "Motor" output port, if you will. This output port (i.e. "header/via") and the R14 resister "header/via" is to control the voltage/current going to the motor. That's it.

Right now, the motor is setup to "run" off of 2V at about 0.16A and I didn't have the specifications of the motor let alone being able to some sort of apprecialble measurements while in the cell phone. The cell phone was "dead" anyways, AND I don't have the charger for it, etc etc etc. Just a "paper weight" with usable parts:D:laughing::roll: I THINK it can be bumped upto around 3V without burning the motor:?::?::?: This was just my version on how to go about putting vibration on the CenTech pinpointer. There are other threads on this forum about this mod... tried the search... was NOT very successful at it. Circuits I'm NOT too bad with, but searches... well...

I REALLY didn't want to "add a thread" as I wanted to add-on to an already existing thread. Hence, my apologies for starting another thread on a CenTech mod:roll:

Anyways... I hope this helps SOMEONE add a vibrator motor to the CenTech pinpointer as it is VERY EASY to do. So far it is working like it should and I am going to "field TEST" the thing during lunchtime at a local park that I goto for *cough* "lunch":roll:;):laughing:

HH \_

Help with mod Please

If i may request, could you upload or e-mail me full resolution pics of you motor mod, its too hard for me to make out the mod, unless you can explain something about it then im good. First, where can I get jumpers, would HDD jumpers suffice?
there are six solder holes, 3 right 3 left, top two right are soldered already, bottom isnt, none on left are soldered, what do i solder or un-solder.
Here are 2 pics of my pinpointer with current mods, no motor now, just LED and buzzer. First is inverted so you can see areas better, second is normal.
Any help is appreciated, currently I cannot attack my motor due to voltage issues when LED and Buzzer are hooked up

picture.php

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom