HELP A SOLDIER AT Fort Meade, Maryland

radryan505

I have recently joined the Air National Guard and will be up at Fort Meade, Maryland for 4 months for training. I will have weekends off so I am DEFINETLY going to be packing my detector. I don't know much about the area at all, but to hunt some colonial area, it would be an absolute dream come true! It will be a LONG 4 months away from my wife and kid over the holiday/winter months, so I am banking on some help to kill the time!

Would anyone be willing to help me out and either point me in the right direction or let me tag along with you somewhere to get to some places to swing near Fort Meade? Soldiers have some off-base travel restrictions, which means staying within 20 miles/1 hour of base radius. We can exceed that with permission, but I am not sure how often or how easy it will be to get that special permission.

ANY INFO WOULD BE WONDERFUL! THANKS!

Since you just joined the Air Guard, you are no longer a soldier but an Airman.
There, I just helped a soldier:lol::laughing:
Good Luck and happy hunting

ChrisMD

Took me for a hunt their one time, i found 3 button's, also pulled 2 ticks off of me, one was a deer tick, they are heavy at Fort Meade, it looked like a tiny seed on my inner leg, scratched it off, put it under a 10x jewelers loop , sure enough it was a deer tick, had a good time , but could have been a lot worse , if i didn't catch those ticks, happy hunting Earl

I went to photo school there then ended up moving back there because wife got stationed there. If you can, make it to the ghost town of Daniels. Patapsco Valley State Park 8162–8196 Alberton Rd Windsor Mill, MD 21244. There are some old ruins there from when the town was flooded.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/06/21/flooded-1972-ghost-town-daniels-lives-collection-memories/

If you get a chance you can come out to West Virginia 1 1/2 hours away and you can hunt some of my permissions with me. One spot is a Farm house and property that was built in 1824 where I just found a 1796 liberty cap large cent. Another one is lots oft Farm land where a house once stood in the late 1700's/early 1800's. The last place is an old civil war hospital site the only problem with this place is the people that owned it in the 50-70's buried a lot of cars and car part throughout the property.

Rob

Hey vfxdaddy, that sounds awesome! I have got lot of awesome advise on hunting locations and it sounds like all of them are about an hour or so away. Which if I can make it happen you can count me in WITHOUT QUESTION! but I am not sure how well I will be able to get around out there. but I am thinking a day or 5 of renting a car will be in order! I will definitely get ahold of you before I get shipped out. I have 2 months of training in San Antonio before I get sent up to Fort Meade, but once I get my dates I will have a better idea of when I will actually get up to MD. But I am a rain or shine type so you can count on me.

It seems like an awesome area for beepin. I question if I ever get back in the area so I want utilize my time up there as best as possible. so thank you SO MUCH! for the offer. I am going to PM you my contact info so we can stay in contact.

PS whats your wives AFSC? (MOS?) just out of curiosity... I am a Broadcast Journalist for the AF

Surf - how old were those buttons you found? and did you find them actually ON the base?

I am assuming I will have a difficult time finding transportation from base to anywhere I will want to beep, so I am doing a lot of research on the base, and the properties on the base since they are within walking distance. But I am praying to find some colonial finds. (NOTE: I know the buttons you found are prob not colonial, that was a general statement heh)

Come to the MARS club meeting the last weds of the month. There are a couple members who are stationed at Fort Meade. Also a few regular members that hunt there also. They do O.K., if you do come mention as a visitor at the meeting your agenda.

Come to the MARS club meeting the last weds of the month. There are a couple members who are stationed at Fort Meade. Also a few regular members that hunt there also. They do O.K., if you do come mention as a visitor at the meeting your agenda.

THANKS! ill have a look! sounds like it would be an awesome resource!

THANKS! ill have a look! sounds like it would be an awesome resource!

If you know any of them/are buddies with them on the forums, could you send them my way? I don't have my dates yet, but I know it will be over the fall/winter months. So I have some time, but I want to get this locked down and to know some names prior to me getting up there would be AWESOME!

Thanks again

If you know any of them/are buddies with them on the forums, could you send them my way? I don't have my dates yet, but I know it will be over the fall/winter months. So I have some time, but I want to get this locked down and to know some names prior to me getting up there would be AWESOME!

Thanks again
I don't think any of them are on the forums, and since they are land hunters I really don't know there names since I mingle with the water hunters only. Just drop by when the time comes at the club meeting and let us know your there and I'm sure several will be more then happy to help.

Ww1

If you go their spray down for ticks, and have your wife scrub you down with a bar of soap in one hand, and a magnify glass in the other howboutit :shock: happy hunting,, Earl PS LOL OBN :lol: on the dirt section, i bet you haven't hunted dirt since we last hunted dirt howboutit :laughing:

Attachments

• P1000653.JPG
    P1000653.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 301
  • P1000655.JPG
    P1000655.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 295
I don't think any of them are on the forums, and since they are land hunters I really don't know there names since I mingle with the water hunters only. Just drop by when the time comes at the club meeting and let us know your there and I'm sure several will be more then happy to help.

So I finally made it to Fort Meade! I got in a couple days ago. Would you be interested in getting together to do some treasure hunting?

you can PM me. Now that I am finally here I am going to be doing all I can to get some hunting off base. I know that it will be a very rare thing for someone to let me join in on a nice honey hole, but as a beginner hunter I am very respective of property and such, I just want to have some fun, make some memories and kill time while away from my wife and kids.

thanks!

So I finally made it to Fort Meade! I got in a couple days ago. Would you be interested in getting together to do some treasure hunting?

you can PM me. Now that I am finally here I am going to be doing all I can to get some hunting off base. I know that it will be a very rare thing for someone to let me join in on a nice honey hole, but as a beginner hunter I am very respective of property and such, I just want to have some fun, make some memories and kill time while away from my wife and kids.

thanks!

You can shoot me a PM, I work on base and have detected Ft. Meade for the past 4 years. I would have chimed in sooner but had to head overseas without any notice a little over a month ago and just got back.

I used to be a MARS member and used to sponsor a few MARS members , but haven't been back since my last long term deployment because work was always hectic. MARS is a good club, but might be hard for you to get to with your on base situation if you don't have a car. I need to renew my membership and get back, I miss most of them badgers, and OBN's monthly ring and jewelry blast.

Not sure if you remember me OBN, I haven't been to a meeting since late 2016 before I deployed. I think my last meeting I put on the class on how to use Historic Aerials.

Here are some Ft. Meade finds. I haven't detected Meade much this year, I've been hitting old farm houses around the area, but Ft. Meade is the detecting gift that keeps on giving, I seldom have a busted day on base. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5

I dont have any suggestions , but you brought back some memories. I was in the Air National Guard and trained at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland. Good times , that was some of the best fun Ive ever had.

You can shoot me a PM, I work on base and have detected Ft. Meade for the past 4 years. I would have chimed in sooner but had to head overseas without any notice a little over a month ago and just got back.

I used to be a MARS member and used to sponsor a few MARS members , but haven't been back since my last long term deployment because work was always hectic. MARS is a good club, but might be hard for you to get to with your on base situation if you don't have a car. I need to renew my membership and get back, I miss most of them badgers, and OBN's monthly ring and jewelry blast.

Not sure if you remember me OBN, I haven't been to a meeting since late 2016 before I deployed. I think my last meeting I put on the class on how to use Historic Aerials.

Here are some Ft. Meade finds. I haven't detected Meade much this year, I've been hitting old farm houses around the area, but Ft. Meade is the detecting gift that keeps on giving, I seldom have a busted day on base. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5

Chris I remember, I still belong to the club but I've not been to a meeting in months. I'll catch a meeting before the years end. Great bunch of guys just no water hunters.

thanks!

We can go out sometime, but your going to get wet!

Ah....DANG you killed it that year Chris! Nice...love being back on the east coast for hunts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5

So update! Chris brought me out yesterday and I had an amazing time! I couldnt be more honored or grateful to Chris for:

1. Letting me use his gear
2. Coaching me through some techniques (being that I am a "beginner")
3. Taking me out to his stomping grounds
4. Bring an America bada**, brother in arms

I had a freakin blast yesterday! We found some amazing relics! (Pictures coming soon, cant get the forum to upload them properly). We got a cool old lock, my first 3 Rigner, my first Mercury Dime (1945), and first WWI era coat button! ...and a good handful of modern coin. It was a blast!

Chris I look forward to my pin pointer getting here and heading out again! Wife says it should be here monday! Thanks again man! You honestly made my week. I have missed my family like no other and this little mental vacation has completely changed my mind set about being up here. I am working with the admin to get the pics up, ill post them as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom