The forum new guy

Navyguy

Hello all, today is my birthday and I am finally getting approval from the wife to purchase a metal detector! I am really excited to get started and I hope the rest of the winter here in Maine is as nice as it has been thus far. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and also say that after reading several posts there seems to be a lot of friendly persons here that don't get aggravated with questions that newbies like myself have.
David

Welcome Navyguy & Happy Birthday!
I'm somewhat new to this forum also and you are correct, everyone on here has been very helpful. Feel free to ask any questions regarding your upcoming purchase of a detector. I look forward to seeing some of your finds in the future.

Welcome NavyGuy! I'm new in here too. I was a Navy Guy till "85, Brown Water Sailor, you? Seems to be a real friendly bunch in here and I've enjoyed the info in here too.
Good Luck hunting for stuff!

welcome and happy b-day to ya. I hope you lots of luck with your mding. If you have any questions about detectors. Tony would be the man to talk to. happy hunting (HH)

Welcome, David. Nice to see another Maineiac join us. :lol:

thanks for the replies...

River Rat.....I am a Senior Chief Corpsman, blue side but now on my twilight tour on the shipyard in Portsmouth, NH. This shipyard is the first in the US (founded in 1800) and I am hoping to be able to bring my new detector (yet to be purchased) here on the yard but I have to get permission from the shipyard commander first.
Now for my first question! Where do we go to find out if we are permitted on property such as battlefields, etc.... There is an old fort right by my house in Kittery, ME that I would really like to take my new detector into and the last thing I want to do is something illegal or unethical. Thanks,
David

Welcome aboard, David, happy birthday, and good luck with the hunt there on the shipyard!

OH

Welcome to the forums ,Happy Birthday and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask. Lots of great interaction here with knowledgeable people. Good Luck on your detector purchase.

Well, I wish ya the best of luck, Chief!
You wouldn't have happened to have met a Chief Fanning QM,huh? Short guy with an old 50's chopped ford truck

Thanks to each of you

I am off to the local trading post. I have decided on the PRIZM II as my first MD. I seriously believe that my 4 and 7 year old daughters are just as excited, if not more so, than I am about this. They think that Daddy is buying a treasure chest detector! I can't wait to take them out with me. What a great time that will be: I get to have fun and spend quality time with my children. Not to many hobbies can make that claim! Thanks again for making me feel welcome in this forum.
David
PS. River Rat...sorry but I do not know a QMC Fanning.

Welcome navyguy. OK on the PrizmII, it will find them. Be carefull on the sounds and ID on rings, as mine shows up as pulltabs, at least that is what it does when I put my wedding ring down to test it. Have never found a gold ring with a metal detector but it's out there. :yes:
pop

Wellcome navyguy! We are starting to get a lot of mainiacs here! :D Looking forward to hearing of you finds. Cladius.

Hiya David, happy birthday, and of course WELCOME! Good to have ya on board with us here. Good luck with the new machine. Hope to see lots of pics from you real soon.

Welcome and happy birthday. You're in for a great ride. This can be a very addictive hobby, just thought I would warn you. :D Glad to hear you're daughters are so interested. All National Forest, Parks and Historical sites are off limits. Most State Parks and Historical sites are but ask a ranger and they will sometimes let you hunt swimming and picnic areas. If the battlefield is on private property and is off the disignated park site then ask the owners permission.
Always get permission and good luck.

Happy Birthday and Welcome! This a great forum and if you want some reading material there is a lot of stuff that was left on the "old" forum... You can hit that from the main page of GoMetalDetecting.com or just ask!

Kat

Ready to go!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I purchased a PRISM II last night and am ready to go but of course mother nature is not very compliant today. It is pouring the rain and very windy here in southern Maine. I can't wait to get out and start learning how to use my new MD!

Back
Top Bottom