First Coin Ring! And first dry-sand gold! Sorta...

TK-421

A couple of firsts! Sort of...

I've been doing some late-night dry sand hunting since work (school) is back in session and the tides have been lame and always during work hours. But ya know how it is-- never hurts to check for fresh drops above the tide line, even as the summer season comes to it's end.

I've generally been finding a healthy amount of clad and the odd bit of silver jewelry-- satisfying, but nothing to write home about.

The other night was real slim pickin's (I hunt that beach a lot) but I found a couple firsts!

My first silver coin... is actually a coin ring!
And my first dry-sand gold-- a truly minuscule amount!

Silver Coin Ring-- It's an extremely odd one! It's very large and very thick-- so much so that when I dug it up I thought I'd found a cross-section of pipe. Upon closer inspection I realized that it had a face and part of a shield on it, as well as a 925 and maker's mark on the inside. I also realized that it was definitely not from a currency with which I was familiar.

A short search revealed the unexpected truth-- it's a Maria Theresa Thaler, a huge silver coin from the Hapsburg Austrian Empire in 1780. Whaaaaa!? But don't worry- further searching revealed what I expected: It's definitely not an original. It's a modern re-strike of an old and very valuable european coin. I'll have to check with the coinshooters, but I think turning a true 1780 MTT into a ring would be considered the vilest kind of sacrilege. Anyhow, I did find a couple people online making rings from MTT re-strikes -- they sell for about $80. Definitely one of my weirdest finds and possibly the only silver coin I will ever find!

Dry-sand gold-- Yeah, it's a silver earring with a 14k gold post. Lol. I was surprised to find it with the backing still on it and in very good condition. Even better, it's another "Chrome Hearts" piece! They sell them as individual studs for men at $400 a piece (criminal? yes- i agree) and there are used ones being sold on ebay and yahooauk for $200. If I'm lucky, I might be able to get more for it than if it had been a real gold ring!

All in all, some pretty cool firsts!

Attachments

• File_000 (8).jpg
    File_000 (8).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 628
  • Coin Ring Half.jpg
    Coin Ring Half.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 638
  • File_001 (3).jpg
    File_001 (3).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 630
Very cool...

Yeah, couldn't be from a real coin, because it has features from both sides, on one side...

Congrats on the silver and gold!

<°)))>{

Very cool...

Yeah, couldn't be from a real coin, because it has features from both sides, on one side...

Congrats on the silver and gold!

<°)))>{

Indeed- I was thinking either it was stamped with the images somehow, or maybe it was pieced together from scraps by somebody who makes rings out of the full (restruck) coins. Either way-- pretty weird! :lol:

~Arigato yo!:D

I agree very cool! And a Great old coin, it was..

A couple of firsts! Sort of...

I've been doing some late-night dry sand hunting since work (school) is back in session and the tides have been lame and always during work hours. But ya know how it is-- never hurts to check for fresh drops above the tide line, even as the summer season comes to it's end.

I've generally been finding a healthy amount of clad and the odd bit of silver jewelry-- satisfying, but nothing to write home about.

The other night was real slim pickin's (I hunt that beach a lot) but I found a couple firsts!

My first silver coin... is actually a coin ring!
And my first dry-sand gold-- a truly minuscule amount!

Silver Coin Ring-- It's an extremely odd one! It's very large and very thick-- so much so that when I dug it up I thought I'd found a cross-section of pipe. Upon closer inspection I realized that it had a face and part of a shield on it, as well as a 925 and maker's mark on the inside. I also realized that it was definitely not from a currency with which I was familiar.

A short search revealed the unexpected truth-- it's a Maria Theresa Thaler, a huge silver coin from the Hapsburg Austrian Empire in 1780. Whaaaaa!? But don't worry- further searching revealed what I expected: It's definitely not an original. It's a modern re-strike of an old and very valuable european coin. I'll have to check with the coinshooters, but I think turning a true 1780 MTT into a ring would be considered the vilest kind of sacrilege. Anyhow, I did find a couple people online making rings from MTT re-strikes -- they sell for about $80. Definitely one of my weirdest finds and possibly the only silver coin I will ever find!

Dry-sand gold-- Yeah, it's a silver earring with a 14k gold post. Lol. I was surprised to find it with the backing still on it and in very good condition. Even better, it's another "Chrome Hearts" piece! They sell them as individual studs for men at $400 a piece (criminal? yes- i agree) and there are used ones being sold on ebay and yahooauk for $200. If I'm lucky, I might be able to get more for it than if it had been a real gold ring!

All in all, some pretty cool firsts!

That's fun to find gold and silver like that. It may be small, but I'll bet that post is still worth a buck or two in melt. :)

Very cool ring and an excellent post. Great pictures, great explanation, comparison pictures, the works. Thanks for all the effort.

That's a really nice coin ring:yes:, beats the hell out of my first and only coin ring.....it was made from a clad quarter!:roll:
Got that Chrome of Hearts find on my bucket list, it would be a rare find over here in the states:shock:. Only seen a few that were found and posted here.
You're doing well, Congrats.
DL

Nice find- congrats! Looking forward to finding a coin ring someday. :yes: There are some fabulous gold coin rings out there. :yes:

Arigato!

Oooo, a gold coin ring? Now THAT would be something! :grin:

Very Nice find ... I actually found one of those coins, use it for my user Icon

:shock::shock::shock:
Wow! You really did! That's amazing. From some of the details I can see in your Icon, yours looks either original or a very old restrike. Where did you find it?! What was it's date? That's so cool! :yes:

I agree very cool! And a Great old coin, it was..

Indeed! I basically never find old coins here, so my coin knowledge is very limited. It was quite fun looking into the history of this one!

That's fun to find gold and silver like that. It may be small, but I'll bet that post is still worth a buck or two in melt. :)

True true! That's the wonderful thing about gold, ne! Of course I'm going to see if I can convince someone obsessed with designer jewelry to give me even more for it...hehe. :D

Very nice ring congrats! :cool:

Arigato Iron's-sensei! :grin:

Very cool ring and an excellent post. Great pictures, great explanation, comparison pictures, the works. Thanks for all the effort.

Arigatou! Thanks for reading! :D

Very neat finds, that ring is pretty awesome looking, and the earring isn't ugly either, congrats!

Yeah! Too bad the ring is so big, though. I think the only digit of mine that it could fit would be my big toe (and that would be amazingly uncomfortable).

That's a really nice coin ring:yes:, beats the hell out of my first and only coin ring.....it was made from a clad quarter!:roll:
Got that Chrome of Hearts find on my bucket list, it would be a rare find over here in the states:shock:. Only seen a few that were found and posted here.
You're doing well, Congrats.
DL

Arigato! Yeah-- when I first saw the face on the ring I thought perhaps it was from a quarter, but then I realized it was probably facing the wrong direction (it's been a while since I've used american currency). I knew it wasn't Japanese because we don't have faces on coins over here.

Yeah, the Chrome Hearts was quite a surprise! I figured it was junk until I looked more closely at the markings. Pretty popular stuff over here! :D

Cool finds!

Arigatou! :D

Those are some nice finds! If you ever decide too sell them I would put the Chrome Hearts rings on eBay or Yahoo auction or somewhere. You will get a lot more selling them as rings than for melt value. I still haven't sold any of my jewelry finds because I just like looking at a big pile of silver and gold but I should. Last year I found a gold coin ring made from a 1945 Mexican 2 Peso coin. It is the only one I have ever found.

Cool and interesting ring and congrats on the gold post! More gold than I've seen lately!!!

Hahaha! No kidding! Me too-- until the tides shift I'm mostly stuck on dry sand, so my gold prospects are very slim at the moment.

Nice captures. The ring looks nice.

Arigato! Yeah, I've been wearing it on my thumb (mostly to wear the last of the tarnish off of it), but I had to put two smaller rings on top of it to keep it from flying off. It's heavy enough that I feel like I'm wearing thumb-armor

LOVE that coin ring.. some nice finds TK ... Congrats

Pretty cool, right? It's pretty unusual for such a sparse hunt to yield a couple good targets like that! It could very easily have been a pretty fruitless venture.

Those are some nice finds! If you ever decide too sell them I would put the Chrome Hearts rings on eBay or Yahoo auction or somewhere. You will get a lot more selling them as rings than for melt value. I still haven't sold any of my jewelry finds because I just like looking at a big pile of silver and gold but I should. Last year I found a gold coin ring made from a 1945 Mexican 2 Peso coin. It is the only one I have ever found.

Definitely will be trying that! I'm not very experienced selling things online, but I've got several items that I'm hoping to put up for auction soon. Designer stuff like Chrome Hearts is so popular over here!

That peso ring sounds awesome! Did you find it here in Japan too? I'm guessing this one must have come off of some european tourist (the beach I was hunting is by a huge hotel).

Hahaha! No kidding! Me too-- until the tides shift I'm mostly stuck on dry sand, so my gold prospects are very slim at the moment.

Arigato! Yeah, I've been wearing it on my thumb (mostly to wear the last of the tarnish off of it), but I had to put two smaller rings on top of it to keep it from flying off. It's heavy enough that I feel like I'm wearing thumb-armor

Pretty cool, right? It's pretty unusual for such a sparse hunt to yield a couple good targets like that! It could very easily have been a pretty fruitless venture.

Definitely will be trying that! I'm not very experienced selling things online, but I've got several items that I'm hoping to put up for auction soon. Designer stuff like Chrome Hearts is so popular over here!

That peso ring sounds awesome! Did you find it here in Japan too? I'm guessing this one must have come off of some european tourist (the beach I was hunting is by a huge hotel).

You never know what you will find. I found the Peso ring in Kanagawa. There was a lot of trash and clad coins there. I don't think I will ever sell my old stuff but I might sell the jewelry. It is hard to let go of stuff though. All of my clad goes to my daughters account but everything else goes to my collection. I'm sure the coin is a restrike but they only sell for bullion value anyway. The ring is marked k18 and pt 900 but the coin should be k22 if it is real.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom