Florida Beach Hunting

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
I am looking for Fl east coast beaches that hold some targets. I hunt the NE of FL from Jax beach to the Ga border. I want to try Sebastian Inlet or other treasure coast beaches well south of me. I am ready to take a road trip and stay 2 or 3 days along the coast south of Canaveral. Do any of you MD friends have some great advise where to hunt? Any good but cheap motels? I am looking for jewelery but mostly the chance of some old wreck coins. I have done some research but your advise is almost always better. If you have personal knowledge if this and can help me out then I thank you.

I am looking for Fl east coast beaches that hold some targets. I hunt the NE of FL from Jax beach to the Ga border. I want to try Sebastian Inlet or other treasure coast beaches well south of me. I am ready to take a road trip and stay 2 or 3 days along the coast south of Canaveral. Do any of you MD friends have some great advise where to hunt? Any good but cheap motels? I am looking for jewelery but mostly the chance of some old wreck coins. I have done some research but your advise is almost always better. If you have personal knowledge if this and can help me out then I thank you.

If you only have 2-3 days, you're better off looking for modern stuff, which means going to the beaches where the tourists go, Daytona, New Smyrna Beach, Melbourne Beach,Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, Stuart. Finding a shipwreck coin, especially now with all the sanded in beaches, would be like winning the lottery. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the odds are way against you. On the treasure beaches, you can hunt for hours and hours without even getting a hit. It get's very monotonous. If it was me, I would definitely give a whole day to Daytona, and then probably New Smyrna. Smyrna has a lot of tourists, and their history goes back to the 1500's. I would even look for some dry land places to hunt. Do some research on Smyrna and you will be intrigued. Actually, you would probably have a better chance of finding a spanish coin/relic on dry land in Smyrna than on a treasure beach. Good luck.:cool:

Having just traveled up the east coast of FL in our motor home and hunting along the way....all I can say is....all of the beaches were sanded in BAD!

Been about 3 years since i hit Villano beach in St. Augustine. But i hunted there for a couple of weeks with a DFX.... didnt have a water machine, but ended up with 10 rings, a couple gold. I only hunted the wet and dry sand. If you havent went down there id say its worth a trip.

Dew

Thanks for the tips. I am hoping for some good erosion this fall/winter and that is probably my time frame. I hope to take a road trip with my RV but at 8 mpg, towing my motorcycle and paying for an RV hookup costs about the same as staying in cheap motels. I can drive my car and get 25 mpg and it is easier and faster so until, or if ever, the gas prices go down I would lean toward motels. I may take some day trips to St. Augustine since it is not that far but I am thinking way south of there.

In any case thanks, guess I just need to research more. I have seen the online maps for the known wreck areas and have read everything Google shows. Having said that, there is no better advise then from the experienced, Google can not give you that. Like you all said, the beaches are sanded in. Believe me I know that every time I go hunting. :no:

Daytona around the pier is probably the most populated and its closer to you.
Do you know if the sand has been replenished there in the last few years? Jacksonville is sanded in thick. I would like to day trip Daytona. From my house it is an hour and a half. My guess it is sanded in but there is a lot of beach there to hunt. Maybe I just need to head there and find out. :D

head on over to Vero

. Then when your done there. Keep heading south. Way South. Down to the Keys . Like Islamorada. . Take a boat and head straight for the Sand Bar. . $$$$ Enjoy:D

Daytona has a natural hard packed sand, I don't think it has been renourished. I was just over there a couple weekends ago but didn't have any luck.

As for the treasure coast, Irene was no help at all. While there is always a chance of finding a shipwreck coin, without any significant erosion, you'd have a better chance at winning the lottery.

Like Scoundrel said, focus on the modern stuff at the more populated beaches. I've hunted Daytona several times this summer and had no luck on jewelry although I am convinced that with cars allowed to park on the beach and people changing at their cars and what-not, the yellow stuff has got to be there.

Back
Top Bottom