Newb looking for first MD

st00ge

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase my first MD and do a little prospecting with my son.
I will only be looking for gold, just weekends in the bush so i don't think i will be looking for coins or jewelery etc.
From what I have been reading, I think my best option would be a PI machine?
I'm leaning towards a Whites Tdi or garret infinium. But would like to get the opinion of more experienced people. should I pay a little more and go for the tdi or will the infinium do all i need? or, should i be considering other detectors?
(cant really afford the minelab prices)
Really just want to get a serious gold machine for a reasonable price.

I know you guys get flooded with these types of questions so thanks for any replies.

Just a suggestion , but look into the other gold hunting detectors out there. Whites has a few other models , Fisher has the goldbug. Maybe there is something out there that you havent considered that would do what you need it to do but cost a bit less.

Thanks for the reply ohiochris,

Yeah i have looked at other models and this is where im having trouble deciding: I have never used a MD so I don't have anything to compare to.
The Vlf machines are cheaper, if say, the gold bug or an mxt would find as much gold as a tdi well id definitely go for that.
Im a bit confused, the only reason I was thinking to go for a PI was because im not worried about any discrimination. The places id be searching would have very little trash. But having read about the gold bug for example, it sounds really sensitive, so maybe that would be a better option?

Ooor .. maybe im thinking to much about it and should just buy one and find out? :D

After reading and reading, I think I'm more confused :lol:

Id like to hear some experienced peoples opinions.
For straight gold detecting in the bush, is there going to be a real difference between a GMT or gold bug and the more expensive TDI?

Last edited:
I'm not in your field of interest......

Don't just buy and try. Unless your cash loaded, and even then it's not wise.
Keep on with the forum questions. Anyone near you with similar interests ? You are in the right place for sound advice. Patience will pay off in this hobby.
Good luck !
Marty

I wish I was cash loaded! :grin:

But seeing as I'm not... basically I would like to buy my last gold detector first.
So any input/suggestions from members would be great.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom