Minelab E-Trac Fake / Knockoff?

dmulk

Hi all,

I stumbled over this link in another thread:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/112449919/Minelab_E_TRAC_Metal_Detector.html

I assume people purchase these to try and resell to make a profit, but I'm just curious....is there anyone out there that has knowingly purchased one of these knock offs for actual use? :?:

If you have, did it work?

I use a *genuine* DFX and am quite happy (with Whites as a company, also)...just curious.

Cheers,

<D>

Interesting...

Though having been to the middle east, and knowing how the people there don't appreciate the term ali baba (at least not in Iraq or Kuwait they dont) due to the implications of being a thief... so I wouldn't purchase from a place using the name either.

Be curious to know if anyone has one as well. If you search online the Alibaba Group does work in "business-to-business international trade, online retail and payment platforms and data-centric cloud computing services." So who knows.

Yeah, there seems to be quite a few places to purchase "knock offs" of this detector...I'm just curious if anyone has knowingly purchased one of these $400 E-Tracs and have it work?

I mean...do they turn on and work?

This peaked my interest, because I am working with a dentist that just ordered a $3000 oral camera online for about $150 and it appears to work just like the original $3K version he has at his other office.

I'm in the process of finding out if these are fake or real. I have sent E-Mails to a person from a different company where they are selling them for 780 a piece if you order 5 of them plus I believe a 120 shipping price for all of them. I have requested serial numbers and have gotten a few responses back. I will post the conversation here.

This is a response for the first time I asked for serial numbers.

Hello,

Mr. Peter do you expect us to unbox a sealed item and give you the serial number? what is the guarantee that you will purchase them afterwards? Please if you want to do business with us, place your order and if you are not ok with our terms, I wish you good luck.

Regards

Eddy

This is a response for the first time I asked for serial numbers.

Hello,

Mr. Peter do you expect us to unbox a sealed item and give you the serial number? what is the guarantee that you will purchase them afterwards? Please if you want to do business with us, place your order and if you are not ok with our terms, I wish you good luck.

Regards

Eddy

That response alone is enough reason to not even bother :yes:

That response alone is enough reason to not even bother :yes:

This was my response :D

You do not understand, I will not buy counterfeit Minelab Metal Detectors. I need proof these are real, any genuine distributors would not mind unpacking a box and giving me a serial number. You say you are one of the biggest online distributors or electronic equipment but you wont unbox a package which will take 5 minutes to box back up? I need to know that I am purchasing the REAL deal and if it is, I have no problem ordering large quantities from you. Can you at least tell me how you get the Minelab detectors? If they are fake copies, it is illegal to produce and sell them by law. For your sake I would recommend just telling me the serial number of just one detector so I can verify they are real and if they are, I will buy them from you. I don't understand your unwillingness to do this, its a simple favor that will give you lots of great business.
I don't mean to come off as an ass but, I just want to know how you acquire these and if they are genuine.

Thanks, Peter

Most new detectors that I have seen also have the serial number on the box also.....Garrett,White's, even my old Troy Shadow X5 has it on the box...........

Please logitek, don't bother with the crooks. You won't get the response you want. It's simply too good to be true. (I know I'm sick of the cliche too). Sucks, but thanks for checking this all out for us.

Interesting...

Though having been to the middle east, and knowing how the people there don't appreciate the term ali baba (at least not in Iraq or Kuwait they dont) due to the implications of being a thief... so I wouldn't purchase from a place using the name either.

Be curious to know if anyone has one as well. If you search online the Alibaba Group does work in "business-to-business international trade, online retail and payment platforms and data-centric cloud computing services." So who knows.

(AP) -- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba says two of its top executives are resigning to take responsibility after a probe discovered more than 2,000 suppliers had defrauded customers, sometimes with the alleged collusion of its sales staff.

Alibaba said in a notice Monday to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange that its chief executive and chief operating officers, who were not implicated by the investigation, were resigning to take responsibility for the company's "breakdown in integrity."
The company said 100 sales representatives, out of a total workforce of 14,000, allegedly involved in defrauding customers were fired. Some supervisors and sales managers had either intentionally or negligently allowed the creation of fraudulent "storefronts" by letting some 2,326 suppliers evade authentication and verification measures, it said.
Most purchases involved offerings of popular consumer electronics at bargain prices with low required minimum orders. "The methods of the perpetrators suggest that they have engineered an organized and systemic attack on the integrity of the Alibaba.com platform for illegal gains," the company said.

:roll: Always remember, If it seems to good to be true… It is!
http://alibabascam.com/
http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/46835/OFFICIAL_LIST_OF_FRAUD_SCAM_COMPANIES_IN_ALIBABA.htm
http://report-online-scams.com/blog/2009/08/how-do-alibaba-scams-work/
http://www.complaintsboard.com/bysubcategory/alibaba-scams.html
http://www.moneybluebook.com/how-i-got-scammed-by-a-seller-on-alibaba/

Thats BS, detector boxes are not sealed, they could easily open the lid and look at the # without even removing it from the carton. The Minelab Serial # is right behind the control box. Obviously they are fake. As for performance, they may look like an E-trac from the outside but I am sure the electronics are sub par. Does anyone have an E-trac? Does it label the serial # on the box? I know Fisher does. If so I would send them a message back and remind them that all E-trac's list the serial on the box so it should not be necessary for them to open the box. I'm tired of these 2nd and 3rd world countries leaching off the west and even when they steal our technology they find a way to water it down and cheapen it. I know Minelab was having a problem with their gold machines being counterfeited and Teknetics with the T2, I have also seen Garrett 250 knockoff's online. If I ever do buy used again I will only do so with proof of purchase from an authorized dealer or verification of the serial #. It's only a matter of time before the use knockoff's hit the classifieds if they have not already.

Thats BS, detector boxes are not sealed, they could easily open the lid and look at the # without even removing it from the carton. The Minelab Serial # is right behind the control box. Obviously they are fake. As for performance, they may look like an E-trac from the outside but I am sure the electronics are sub par. Does anyone have an E-trac? Does it label the serial # on the box?

I'm at work but if this isn't answered when I get home I'll be sure to tell you!

The one I have is labled on the box. Its made in Ireland. I don't know about the Malasia models, but I would almost bet the day they have the same thing. The number on the box should correspond with the number on the rear side of the control housing.

NebTrac

Even if they work like a genuine E-trac, I wouldn't buy a copy. They're copying a copyrighted design, and probably violating the patents that Minelab has on the model. That's the whole point of trademarks and patents, if you come up with a design, someone can't freeload on your work. If the public continues to buy knockoff products, they make it less likely that anyone will do the R&D to develop new technology.

The one I have is labled on the box. Its made in Ireland. I don't know about the Malasia models, but I would almost bet the day they have the same thing. The number on the box should correspond with the number on the rear side of the control housing.

NebTrac
Mine is a Malaysia model and it is on the box as well, both coil and detector serial # is on the box. No un-boxing would be necessary, sounds like a sham to me.

Here is the response I got to the last thing I sent him about checking the serial numbers.

Hello,

You must also understand that no one will buy unboxed product, if you are willing to buy only 1 unit to see the quality then we are ready to sell only 1 to you for the verification purpose. Nothing will make me open a box for you to see the serial number.. I have been in business long enough to know what unboxing a product means.. With all due respect we are selling original minlab detectors only..

and my response

I am aware that Malaysian made Minelabs have the serial numbers written on the outside of the box as well as the E-Tracs made in Ireland. If you would be so kind to just look at a box and tell me the serial number, it would be much appreciated. You don't even have to open the box!

Thanks, Peter

and my response

I am aware that Malaysian made Minelabs have the serial numbers written on the outside of the box as well as the E-Tracs made in Ireland. If you would be so kind to just look at a box and tell me the serial number, it would be much appreciated. You don't even have to open the box!

Thanks, Peter

Haha, I would be curious to see how well they work but not for that much money. I wish someone who has bought one of these detectors from this company would post a field report. Obviously the guy know's he has been found out.

Back
Top Bottom