Got a 1950 $10 Bill from My Bank Yesterday!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Withdrew $200 from my bank yesterday and asked for 20 ten dollar bills. Nineteen of the bills were boring with no star notes or errors, but there was one beat up bill that stuck out. It's a 1950 E bill! It's been a long time since I've gotten a pre-1970 note at a bank or in my change. It's only worth ten bucks, but I'm going to hang onto it for awhile.

Attachments

• DSC00398.jpg
    DSC00398.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 738
  • DSC00400.jpg
    DSC00400.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 496
It'll be worth much more than that, if you ever find yourself stranded back in the fifties. ;): :lol:

Roger

Cool! 70 yr old bill! Makes you wonder where that one has been hiding all these years? Could be some old guy had a wad of bills around the house and for some reason they recently made it back into circulation?

Those old bills are cool. Nice $ave !
Maybe its the different style of print, ink or the art work?
I have a few older ones in my coin collection.
I don't know what their value is but, they're nice too look at.

As mud-puppy said, " You wonder where it's been hiding for all these years?"
or some old guy had a wad of bills laying around the house, and decided to put it back into circulation?"

Sort of like catch & release of a rainbow trout, or setting monarch butterflies free to go on their life's journey....:laughing:
Interesting to know & wonder :?:

Other interesting bills can be found on that www.wheresgeorge.com
(1's, 5's, 10's, 20's, 50's, & 100's)

Neat !!!!!

Now if it was a "Gold Certificate" it would be fun to see the look on a tellers face if you handed it to them and asked for it to be redeemed in gold, they might look something like :?: or :shock: …….:lol:

(of course we know they no longer honor the promise to redeem those certificates for gold like they once did, but it would be neat to see what response you would get :lol:)

Should be fun when I try to spend it. I actually saw a cashier at my local Stop & Shop refuse to accept a 1950's $20 bill last year! She was just a kid and thought it wasn't legit. She called the manager over and he refused to accept as well! It was in very rough shape, but it was still legal tender. The guy trying to spend it was around 70 years old, so he didn't make a scene over it. Trust me, if they do that to me, I'll be making a BIG scene! Lol!

Been a while since I've seen a Henry Fowler, it may only be worth face value but fun to get. I remember seeing that treasury secretary's sig. a lot years ago, but mainly on the 1963 series bills.

Why is it called an E Bill?
I believe they do that to signify a change in the design of the bill. A bill with a 1950 date may not have been printed in 1950. They keep the date the same for a few years.

When I did a search on eBay, there are zero 1951 and 1952 ten dollar bills, so I'm assuming they kept the date the same until the 1953 printing.

Why is it called an E Bill?

I believe they do that to signify a change in the design of the bill. A bill with a 1950 date may not have been printed in 1950. They keep the date the same for a few years.

When I did a search on eBay, there are zero 1951 and 1952 ten dollar bills, so I'm assuming they kept the date the same until the 1953 printing.

+1 you seem to be correct based on a search I just did, here is a quote:

"Each time the design on our paper currency notes changes, a new series date appears on the face of the bill. This shows the year that the design change occurred. The series date on currency notes does not change each calendar year as it does on coins, but only when there is a major revision in the basic design. The capital letter following the series year shows that a minor design change was authorized in a particular series. Such a change occurs after the appointment of a new Secretary of the Treasury or Treasurer of the United States. At this time, the signature(s) found on the notes also change. A change in only one signature is a minor revision."

Here is another web site with more interesting info -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_ten-dollar_bill

Cool! 70 yr old bill! Makes you wonder where that one has been hiding all these years? Could be some old guy had a wad of bills around the house and for some reason they recently made it back into circulation?
The bill is old but not necessarily 70 years old. it's a SERIES 1950 which was printed for many years after 1950. Still older than most you find in circulation though.

The bill is old but not necessarily 70 years old. it's a SERIES 1950 which was printed for many years after 1950. Still older than most you find in circulation though.

True, it was probably printed until 1955 or so, but that's still a 64 year old note.

Looks the same as the 70,80s
There are a couple of big differences between this note and notes from the 1970's. You just have to be observant to spot them. There's no "In God We Trust" on the reverse, for example. "Will Pay to the Bearer on Demand" is not on 1970's notes either.

Also noticed that they shorted the blurb on the left side of the note. The 1950 note states "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private and is redeemable in lawful money at the United States Treasury, or at any federal reserve bank."

The 1970's note only states "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

Also noticed that they shorted the blurb on the left side of the note. The 1950 note states "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private and is redeemable in lawful money at the United States Treasury, or at any federal reserve bank."

The 1970's note only states "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

The part they now omit "......and is redeemable in lawful money at the United States Treasury, or at any federal reserve bank."

is admitting that the paper note itself is not lawful money, basically the paper bills (notes) we use are basically "IOU's" :lol:

…..and I guess they had to remove that part because these "notes" are no longer redeemable in lawful money at the United States Treasury, or at any federal reserve bank :lol:

Back
Top Bottom