HF, Delta 4000, Minelab 705 - Did I make the right decision?

EightInchesDeep

Hello all,

I am new to the forums and metal detecting. I'm glad to be a part of the community!

About three months ago, on a whim, because it was a shiny new object, and my A.D.D. needed a new obsession to hyper-focus on, I bought the Harbor Freight 9 Function detector. I already had the HF pinpointer for woodworking, but I took it and modified it to put in a vibrating motor and some of the other mods I had seen online. I started in my front and backyard (my wife is a Saint) and got to know the HF machine. It did fine and I felt I quickly got to know its personality. The pinpointer worked, but the common button issue happened and it wasn't holding up. The detector was pretty awkward to use, ergonomically. I though about modifying it, but that would be another rabbit hole I'd probably never come out of.

Instead, I did some research and decided on the Teknetics Delta 4000 for a good beginner machine. I ordered it on Amazon for $215 after taxes and a day before it came, I found someone selling a Minelab 705 in near mint condition with Koss headphones, the Minelab digging tool, the 9" 7.5kz concentric, the 5"x10.5" DD 18.75kz coil, and the minelab carrying bag for $350. So, I decided to get it because of everything I have read about it and the amazing reviews. I also upgraded to the Garrett Pro pinpointer (the price is a hard pill to swallow, but that really is an amazing tool). So I now have that, the HF 9 Func, the Delta 4000, and the Minelab 705 Gold Pack + extras. I haven't really used the Teknetics yet and a buddy of mine used it and offered to buy it for what I paid. I am definitely not keeping all three.

The Minelab bundle for $350 seemed like a good deal and I felt that if I didn't take to it, I could always sell it for near that if not more than that. I was aware there would be a learning curve but figured I could grow in to it more than the Delta 4000. I've already read the manual 10 times and the Randy Horton guide a few times. I understand it all, but am finding when tinkering with it, putting the concepts in to practice is obviously a different beast. I have been going out in various areas for 3-4 hours a day before/after work to practice (with the Minelab). It seems awesome, but it has frustrated me a lot more than the HF one did. Trashy areas, figuring out if I should dig, just digging everything, etc. I found a lot more coins/etc with the HF. And I went with my buddy, who borrowed the HF and had never detected before, and he found much more on the same field than I did with the Minelab. I've spent a week or so using both of the Minelab coils, tinkering with settings and it is making more sense, but in "trashier" areas, it beeps like 15 smoke detectors all needing a new battery at once.

So, did I make the right decision on going with the Minelab and returning/selling the Delta 4000 at this point? Was the Minelab deal too good to pass up? If you were a beginner, would you sell/return the Delta 4000 and keep the Minelab and go through the learning curve? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

EiD

(Note: This is a copy of a post I put on another forum before I found this site and this seems to be a lot more active for MDing than the other one. Sorry for the cross post)

Never used the Minelab, but have heard good things about it. I have owned the 4000. Great machine! I don’t believe someone should own only one detector. Just my opinion.
Having a few keeps it fun and make you an all around better detectorist.

I can't help you regarding those models, but I can tell you are on the right track. You learned the basic "how to's" with the cheap machine, in your own yard. This is a good start. Then you are right to seek improvement with better equipment. Unless there is some kind of issue with the Minelab, you can tame that beast. Again, you are on the right track: practice, research, practice. When you have your "aha!" moment, and start really grooving with your machine, then decide which one to sell, if either. GL & HH!

Back
Top Bottom