Magnet finds what Equinox could not

Foragist

Forum Supporter
So I was out snowblowing the sidewalk this morning, and the neighbor guy walks up with something to say. He asks if I have a metal detector. (they have seen me detecting my yard before) I said yes, and he asked if I could help him find his keys. He was clearing snow around his place, and he was certain the set of house/car/snowblower keys fell out of his jacket pocket while working out there. (He told me the car dealership charges $600 for replacement remote keys :shock:) In a few minutes, I was out there with my Equinox 800 thinking this should be easy. I tried the pinpoint mode, but it was way too sensitive, so I just used park1 with iron mode on, and worked all along the edges of his snow removal route. There were targets, but they were frozen underground; not his keys. Then I got to his driveway. The nox was beeping like crazy all over the place. I soon realized his driveway was loaded with rebar, and completely undetectable. So he was pretty sad, and gave up hope. I kept trying, but eventually gave up too. Then I thought of the super powerful fishing magnet I have. I used a plastic clamp on the end of a rod to hold it, and went back over to search. He didn't seem too optimistic, but said OK, go ahead and look. He was not tolerating the -5 degree temps, so he stayed inside. I worked around his vehicle and around the edges of the driveway, and was almost done with the whole driveway when I heard the "clink" sound. The sound of the jingle of a set of keys, stopped short by a powerful magnet. :D I walked to the door, knocked, and showed him the magnet, with keys firmly stuck on. He and his wife were so happy, they had a twenty dollar bill out, and kept trying to make me take it. I refused, explaining that I love to find stuff, was happy to do it, and that it was just a basic neighborly favor. We made a deal that I can detect their yard when it thaws, and I'm welcome to ask them a favor anytime. I could hear them in the house laughing and cheering as I walked away. Good feeling.

I'm pretty sure your Box would find them no problem, but too many iron signals drove it crazy. Good job!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hmm, A new fad, SNOW MAGNET FISHING. A new way to spend those long winter days.:p

That was really good of you, another very positive reflection of detectorists and their hobby ! :thumbsup:

…...AND that was VERY smart thinking to use a magnet when your detector was thwarted by rebar ! :hmmm:……...:newidea: :lol:

Great job, not giving up till you found those keys! That magnet was just the thing!

Penny

Great story, and fantastic job persevering! Brilliant to go old school and switch to a magnet when the rebar threatened to ruin the party. And best of all, you were a top-shelf ambassador for the hobby by not only saving the day, but also refusing the cash and negotiating a new permission as your reward instead. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure your Box would find them no problem, but too many iron signals drove it crazy. Good job!
Yes, it would have worked if I could isolate any signal. It was just all noise...even after I lowered the sensitivity way down. Good ol' magnet did the trick.
Hmm, A new fad, SNOW MAGNET FISHING. A new way to spend those long winter days.:p
There's a thought. Maybe put some magnets on a sled and hit the sledding hills?
Best part is, permission to detect the yard in the spring.:yes:
I'm usually willing to work for food or detecting permission. I forgot to ask for food. :lol:
That was really good of you, another very positive reflection of detectorists and their hobby ! :thumbsup:
…...AND that was VERY smart thinking to use a magnet when your detector was thwarted by rebar ! :hmmm:……...:newidea: :lol:
Thank you. It really bugged me I couldn't find some stupid keys. The magnet idea was a light bulb moment for sure. Your emojis nailed it!
Nice save.
Thank you. You should've heard how happy they were!
Great job, not giving up till you found those keys! That magnet was just the thing!
Penny
Thanks. Plan B saves the day!
Excellent Job. Nope the yard gives up something good.
Thanks, I hope so too, even though nothing was built there until the '70s I think.
A good deed gets one in return...….Found keys =permission. Good job.
Works for me! Thank you.
Great story, and fantastic job persevering! Brilliant to go old school and switch to a magnet when the rebar threatened to ruin the party. And best of all, you were a top-shelf ambassador for the hobby by not only saving the day, but also refusing the cash and negotiating a new permission as your reward instead. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I get the feeling you and a lot of the FMDF-ers would've done the same; regarding reward. Actually my first old school thought was to use a garden rake. It would've worked too, but the magnet was more fun. :D
You mean that powerful magnet didn’t rip the rebar out of the driveway? :laughing:
:lol: I did say it was a "super powerful" magnet, didn't I? Thanks for reminding me of the element of danger I left out of the story. :laughing:
Great Job with persevering until you completed the mission! Did you make sure that you can keep what you find in their yard when you revisit it?🤞👌
Thank you. OK, here's the sad truth about the permission: They are trying to sell the place, and he said he wasn't sure it won't be sold by then. But then he said "Have at 'er!" "Any time!". I take that as I keep what I find. :yes:

One never knows what might have been in the dirt for many years. Local park that I call "Clad Park" is less than 15 years old. I have taken three silver coins out of that park. How they got there I will never know but it is always a close place for a quick hunt for a few dollars in clad.

Just remembered I have what I hope will be a powerful magnet, I still need to get it out of the module it's in, it's from an old microwave oven that was going bad that I trashed but remembered hearing about the magnet you can salvage out of it, I took the module out that contains the magnet but still need to remove the magnet from it.

One never knows what might have been in the dirt for many years. Local park that I call "Clad Park" is less than 15 years old. I have taken three silver coins out of that park. How they got there I will never know but it is always a close place for a quick hunt for a few dollars in clad.
Good point. I guess my expectations are based on what I found in my yard; adjacent to theirs. No silvers or really old stuff yet. I always have hope!
Just remembered I have what I hope will be a powerful magnet, I still need to get it out of the module it's in, it's from an old microwave oven that was going bad that I trashed but remembered hearing about the magnet you can salvage out of it, I took the module out that contains the magnet but still need to remove the magnet from it.
I heard microwave oven magnets can be strong. If you get it out, and go magnet fishing with it, post your finds, and let us know how it works.

Good point. I guess my expectations are based on what I found in my yard; adjacent to theirs. No silvers or really old stuff yet. I always have hope!

I heard microwave oven magnets can be strong. If you get it out, and go magnet fishing with it, post your finds, and let us know how it works.

I'll see about getting it out of the module this next week if I get a chance, it has a lot of metal fittings around it so not sure how difficult it might be. Even if I can't try magnet fishing anytime soon maybe I can do a test in the meantime to see about how any pounds it can pick up.

It was an 1100 watt microwave oven, but the module was not that large so the magnet is not going to be that big, but hopefully it will still be strong, I'll see about taking a pic of the module and then the magnet after I get it out.

Edit to add: Just took a pic of the module for now -
microwave_module.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom