Banks getting salty...

ChrisnAmanda1

Elite Member
Anyone else run into issues trying to buy coins for coin roll hunting?? I've gone to a few Banks wanting to buy coins and they seem to be very irritated by this. It'd be one thing if I was trying to cash in coins and then get coins back, but I'm walking in with cash..... I don't get it.

Also, they might not mind as much with businesses that gets rolls of coins occasionally to resupply their cash registers as likely those businesses also have an account with that bank.

I would think as far as the bank you have an account with that they would be required to let you withdraw cash from your account in whatever form you wish, bills or coins.

I have a friend that many years ago got a job as manager in a small store. One day he was short on change so closed shop and walked down the block to a small bank. They wouldn't sell him change because the store didn't have an account with them. So he goes back to the store and puts a sign on the register that they wouldn't accept checks on that bank.

Wasn't too much later the VP of the bank came in and apologized and said they'd be happy to sell him change, even brought some with him.

That's one way to handle a snooty bank....

So I know I will blasted for this, but just offering another perspective. And just for clarity I've never worked for a bank nor has any of my family.

Banks are private entities. And essentially when CR hunting, we are asking them to perform services for no fees, actually as Wolf-Dog suggest a loss. Realistically what business would be interested in performing services for a loss. Even if its minute, it takes time to service and exchange and time is money to a business.

So I know I will blasted for this, but just offering another perspective. And just for clarity I've never worked for a bank nor has any of my family.

Banks are private entities. And essentially when CR hunting, we are asking them to perform services for no fees, actually as Wolf-Dog suggest a loss. Realistically what business would be interested in performing services for a loss. Even if its minute, it takes time to service and exchange and time is money to a business.

Considering the "private business" aspect you do have a point, especially if many people are asking to exchange bills for coins at the same bank.

Instead of simply taking cash (bills) to ask to be exchanged for coins, I would think if you were making a cash withdrawal from your account, and simply asked for it to be in coins instead of bills, that seems like a more reasonable request that they should be willing to fulfill. (but even then I'd try to avoid doing it every week. week after week)

See thats the thing, We go to multiple banks to avoid them having to continuously trade coins. Today I made the snotty lady feel like !!!!, and about opened up a prior service military account and then told them since they have such a problem swapping coins for cash once in a while id gladly take my money somewhere else instead. Theres a few banks around here that are ok with it as long as its not multiple trips a day LOL. Ill have to open a new account somewhere here in town.... winter time stinks...id rather be out swinging my MD anyday

Considering the "private business" aspect you do have a point, especially if many people are asking to exchange bills for coins at the same bank.

Instead of simply taking cash (bills) to ask to be exchanged for coins, I would think if you were making a cash withdrawal from your account, and simply asked for it to be in coins instead of bills, that seems like a more reasonable request that they should be willing to fulfill. (but even then I'd try to avoid doing it every week. week after week)

I'd agree, getting coins as a withdrawal I wouldn't think would be an issue. Apparently where they get "Salty" is when its repeated many times.

I would think the better customer you were the more they would be apt to overlook it. Unfortunately some banks don't get it when they get snotty with their customers. My local bank has a lady who is a B#$&@ and they have just barely enough of my money so I can get a occasional check cashed or something notarized. Anything more than that and we drive 15 miles to our main bank

How many coins are we talking about? When I was into CRH, I'd get $50.00 in dimes at three or four banks in one day. Not too many banks care if you're just asking for 10 rolls of dimes.

How many coins are we talking about? When I was into CRH, I'd get $50.00 in dimes at three or four banks in one day. Not too many banks care if you're just asking for 10 rolls of dimes.

Typically, we go in with 30 bucks or so, maybe a little more, and ask to trade it for a 2 rolls of quarters and 20 rolls of pennies, Most of the time we just ask to buy a box of pennies and if we have the extra a couple rolls of this or that. Never anything ridiculous, and never at the same banks..

20 rolls of pennies might be the issue. Not too many businesses need 1,000 pennies! I'd cut back on the pennies and get an even balance of coins. Ask for two rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies at a time. That way, it looks like you're getting them for your store and not just checking them out and returning them later on.

I wish 2 rolls or pennies was enough. We are trying to fill a couple lincoln cent books, we have it narrowed down to a couple 40's and 50's left. It would be impossible to find them only buying 1 or 2 rolls of pennies at a time. We buy 20 rolls or so and wind up with a handful of wheats, and I just found a 1936 today as well but it took every bit of 20 rolls. Banks just dont like it much around here cause the bums out there pan handling is my guess. EVEN THO we pull up in a giant flashy lifted truck......

Yup, my bank said if I kept doing it they'd start charging a fee. One of the reasons I quit CRH.
That's too bad. :( I'm thankful my main credit union only charges a fee if I order halves and my secondary bank (which is farther away) doesn't charge a fee at all. :woot:

20 rolls of pennies might be the issue. Not too many businesses need 1,000 pennies! I'd cut back on the pennies and get an even balance of coins. Ask for two rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies at a time. That way, it looks like you're getting them for your store and not just checking them out and returning them later on.

I'm sure each bank is different, but the 2 that I go to don't care when I take out coins or how much I take out, sometimes I've done a box each of pennies, nickels, & dimes, equaling $375! :D I've done 2 boxes of dimes for $500 before as well.

KingTotsalot on this forum goes through $2,500 in half dollars weekly. :shock:

But like I said, I'm sure each bank is different. :)

I wish 2 rolls or pennies was enough. We are trying to fill a couple lincoln cent books, we have it narrowed down to a couple 40's and 50's left. It would be impossible to find them only buying 1 or 2 rolls of pennies at a time. We buy 20 rolls or so and wind up with a handful of wheats, and I just found a 1936 today as well but it took every bit of 20 rolls. Banks just dont like it much around here cause the bums out there pan handling is my guess. EVEN THO we pull up in a giant flashy lifted truck......

I know what you mean. :yes: What I did is start with a roll or 2. After a few weeks, I went to about 5 rolls. A few weeks later do 10. Then 20. Then 30. Then 40. Then a box (50). Then add a few rolls of other denominations. Slowly increase. You of course don't have to do exactly, but maybe try doing increases little by little. :yes:

I'm sure each bank is different, but the 2 that I go to don't care when I take out coins or how much I take out, sometimes I've done a box each of pennies, nickels, & dimes, equaling $375! I've done 2 boxes of dimes for $500 before as well.

I used to ask for $100.00 in dimes, but got grief over it. They either stated they didn't have that many dimes available (right) or they asked me why I needed that many dimes (not kidding). The credit unions were usually the ones who were the problem, but Citizens Bank and Santander Bank also busted my chops every once in awhile. I eventually got tired of the nonsense and stopped CRH completely.

Yep, I did a little CRH back around 2007, using the bank that had/has my checking account. I bought no more than $100 dollars in halves at a time. The tellers were good with it, probably because I have been a good customer for a long time. But if I had started asking for boxes of coins on a weekly basis, I'm sure they would have started charging me a fee, and that would have been understandable.

This was a branch of a large national bank, you might be able to get away with it at a small local bank.

I used to ask for $100.00 in dimes, but got grief over it. They either stated they didn't have that many dimes available (right) or they asked me why I needed that many dimes (not kidding). The credit unions were usually the ones who were the problem, but Citizens Bank and Santander Bank also busted my chops every once in awhile. I eventually got tired of the nonsense and stopped CRH completely.

Oh I wont get tired of the nonsense.... Im going to keep CRH and they can just get right with it. I was talking to my lady about starting a bank account at one of the rudest of them using a prior service military account. Lets see them not only be rude to a customer, but a prior service account holder with a pretty big chunk of change! (pun intended)

That's too bad. :( I'm thankful my main credit union only charges a fee if I order halves and my secondary bank (which is farther away) doesn't charge a fee at all. :woot:

I'm sure each bank is different, but the 2 that I go to don't care when I take out coins or how much I take out, sometimes I've done a box each of pennies, nickels, & dimes, equaling $375! :D I've done 2 boxes of dimes for $500 before as well.

KingTotsalot on this forum goes through $2,500 in half dollars weekly. :shock:

But like I said, I'm sure each bank is different. :)

I know what you mean. :yes: What I did is start with a roll or 2. After a few weeks, I went to about 5 rolls. A few weeks later do 10. Then 20. Then 30. Then 40. Then a box (50). Then add a few rolls of other denominations. Slowly increase. You of course don't have to do exactly, but maybe try doing increases little by little. :yes:

LOL slowly increase over a month! I like it!

Back
Top Bottom