Memberships open for SAD or Secret Association of Detectorists

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have been following the many enjoyable posts of Mudd Puppy, and Tom_In_CA and some others for the past year and have come to one conclusion.

We should have our own national secret metal detecting society.
There is only one thing to do and it is to create one.

So far the only name I can come up with is SAD or Secret Association of Detectorists. This is a nice acronym that describes many a hunt where a member was skunked. Or when a long planned hunt at a good permission gets rained out. Or where a good permission gets withdrawn. Or when your new detector has to go back to the factory. Or when your favorite old park now is sporting a brand new “No Digging Allowed” sign.

I nominate Mudd Puppy for President and Tom_in_CA for Vice President or treasurer and he can be in charge of all the member ship fees. No wait, that may be a bad idea. Let Tom be our Vice President and secretary and rules chair person.

For regalia I suggest a black dirt stained tee shirt with a chain of polished pull tabs around our neck. The tee shirt must be accompanied by jeans or tan pants with dirty knees.

Our secret greeting will be “Hello, clad to meet you.” Your response will be “can slaw sucks”, and thus members are easily identified.

We can have SAD chapters and all states and cities. We can have SAD Georgia, Sad Michigan, Sad CA presidents and vice presidents.

Anyone can join who is a member of a metal detecting forum. If you have been suspended or kicked off a forum, you can apply for honorary membership until our rules committee has ruled on you bad behavior elsewhere.

Ok, any other idea for our new secret society will be welcome. I don’t know a lot about secret societies, but I did wake up one morning after a drunken college freshman party to find out I had joined a fraternity. I Felta Thigh. The joining requirement were mainly getting lucky the previous night
As a founding member I stake my claim to the national historian of SAD and as of this moment I will be recording the proceedings of all SAD communications on this and other forums.

In the name of all things sacred this is Banner worthy and then some... I'm dead :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess I'm in Sad Washington

“please accept my resignation. I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member”.....g.m.

And it should have nothing to do with internet forums so like an old soldier, just fade away

Yes. No one can beat puppy-mud's creative writing wit. Thus he HAS to be president. And Maxxkatt : You're no slouch in your writing and leadership skills either. So I nominate you for Sergent at Arms.

There will be a secret handshake to learn, of course.

And all members will get a "Tom_in_CA universal detecting permit". It allows you unfettered md'ing access to all property, public or private. Yup: You can waltz into any sacred monument, NPS, the White house lawn, people's front yards, any cow pasture, etc.... If anyone hassles you, you just show them the permit. They will slink away embarrassed, for having questioned you.

Cost: 30% of everyone's find sent to me. You pay postage ! :cool:

I certainly would be eligible for membership after the day I had at the beach yesterday. Got there a bit before low tide and walked the 250 yards across a flat beach to the water and proceeded to get wet to my knees and the water was a bit chilly. After two city blocks or so my toes were getting numb so I worked a ripple trough. After two hours I was still looking for a target of any kind. Then my Xcal screamed at me It shocked me as it had been so quiet for so long Dug a quarter. Kept searching for another hour and nothing. In over three hours I had six trash targets of light stuff. I did not even find any Felix Pennies and that is deplorable conditions.

Greetings from Sad Michigan (impending doom of an overnight ice storm should put an end to my little 3 day February thaw...). Being State Of the Union night, I’m trying to picture Mud's speech.....

Yes. No one can beat puppy-mud's creative writing wit. Thus he HAS to be president. And Maxxkatt : You're no slouch in your writing and leadership skills either. So I nominate you for Sergent at Arms.

And all members will get a "Tom_in_CA universal detecting permit". It allows you unfettered md'ing access to all property, public or private. Yup: You can waltz into any sacred monument, NPS, the White house lawn, people's front yards, any cow pasture, etc.... If anyone hassles you, you just show them the permit. They will slink away embarrassed, for having questioned you.

Does that mean I have to move to CA to guard your loot?

So far the only name I can come up with is SAD or Secret Association of Detectorists. This is a nice acronym that describes many a hunt where a member was skunked. Or when a long planned hunt at a good permission gets rained out. Or where a good permission gets withdrawn. Or when your new detector has to go back to the factory. Or when your favorite old park now is sporting a brand new “No Digging Allowed” sign.
Or what the wife secretly thinks of this whole detecting business but doesn't say out loud because at least it's not golf or fishing or strong whiskey and loose women 😀😀

I love how Tom always asks for 30% of everyone's finds, but never specifies which type. I'm going to LOVE sending him my trash. :)

I'm in, and I would like a membership card to carry. But, in keeping with the "Secret" part, I think the card should be written in invisible ink.

Back
Top Bottom