Accidental Trespassing

Scooterjim

Elite Member
The city is building a new fire station, there was a story on the news about it. I went to google maps and could see there was a half dozen houses there 15 years ago. I spent about an hour picking some clad out of all the trash. I think they just scattered the houses around with a bulldozer. While I was hunting a pick up stopped and then turned around like a bat out of hell and went to the factory behind me. Several people came out and watched me for a few minutes then went back inside. I puttered around about a half hour and left. Something seemed strange about the way they were watching me. When I got home I went to the fire dept's website and found out the new fire station was being built in the 2900 block not the 1900 block. I'm thinking of going back and apologizing and explaining what happened and trying to get permission. I don't trespass on private property, city property that's not fenced or posted, I will hit until told otherwise.

I would just hunt it again, and if someone advises you it's private property then apologise (act like you're innocent and didn't know). Just my opinion.

You also don't know whether the people watching you had a problem with you being there, they probably would've said something if they didn't want you there.

I don't know what the laws are in your state but here in Connecticut you are not guilty of trespassing unless there's a sign clearly posted that says "NO TRESPASSING" or "KEEP OUT". I'd hunt until you're asked to leave.

I’m thinking about going on a piece of property that I don’t know who the owner is. There’s no signs, all sagebrush. I have a feeling it will have silver from the forties through 64 With clad from 65 through 2004. It was a business from 1954-2004.

... I'm thinking of going back and apologizing ....

That is one option to atone for your egregious sin.

The other option is: Send all your md'ing finds, for the last year, to me. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. No.... don't thank me. It's the least I can do for a fellow metal detecting brethren like yourself.

I wouldn't go back to apologize- theres a decent chance youd stir up more trouble by doing so. Mistakes happen to everyone.

btw, who did own the property? A company or private individual?

I don't know what the laws are in your state but here in Connecticut you are not guilty of trespassing unless there's a sign clearly posted that says "NO TRESPASSING" or "KEEP OUT". I'd hunt until you're asked to leave.

There is an implied consent to enter property for lawful purposes, sometimes even when signs are present. The UPS delivery person isn't trespassing, and neither is the kid retrieving a football, or someone campaigning for elected office.

Entering someone's property for the purpose of finding and removing objects of value is not a lawful purpose. There is no implied consent that it's ok until the owner says it isn't.

You are Assuming a couple of things

1) You are assuming that they owned the property
2) You are assuming they even knew what you were doing.

their initial reaction may have been that you were a government type person and they were curious as to what you were doing. Heck for all you know they thought you were waving around a Geiger counter :shock:

The fact that they didn't come over and confront you semi implies consent if and that is a big IF they owned the property.

If your done digging the said property then put it behind you and move on.. If you want to go back.. don't assume the worst and just hunt it until told otherwise.. that's just my 2 IHP''s worth

You were lucky to get out of there alive! I bet those people were methfreaks! Figured you for some sort of Govt Hazardous Waste Detector! They are not to blame for being cautious....You gotta admit, you stuck out like a sore thumb..

Meth cookers are always on edge and driving like bats out of hell....

I'm sure this is what they thought..."Whats that old B'tard doing over there in the vacant lot where we dump chemicals?" "What the hell is he up to with that fancy ground penetrating radar equipment?" "Is he looking for that body we buried, or is that some old b'tard with a weedwacker?" They had a reason to be paranoid, they cook meth...You dont, you hunt for pennies...and no, I wouldnt make contact or apologize or even try to explain myself...:laughing:

Luckily they were Methfreaks and not dope growers...Dope growers dont take kindly to old B'tards with weedwackers....Although, a fellow can generally out run or outfight a dope grower...not so much a methfreak...

This is what I think what happened..:laughing::laughing:.

Last edited:
You were there, they saw you detecting, they said nothing, implied permission granted. Pretty straight forward to me.

Makes me wonder if they bulldozed the 1900 block by mistake too. :?:
I'd suggest a little research on who owns that block, and why the houses were destroyed, but I would avoid the factory crowd until you have some facts. Maybe none of their beeswax...and Mud-Puppy could be right.

I wouldn't go back to apologize- theres a decent chance youd stir up more trouble by doing so. Mistakes happen to everyone.

btw, who did own the property? A company or private individual?

It's a small privately owned company. I treat small business and individuals differently than huge corporations and government property. I have no problems trespassing on faceless corporate or government land, but if there is a chance of running into the owner I ask first.
It's close enough to the house I want to keep it on my list of places to kill an hour. If I go back I may save the article with the wrong address on my phone and just play dumb. I don't think they care too much or someone would have ran me out or there would be no trespassing signs.

"Playing Dumb" is a really good strategy and an important Life survival skill, its a proven successful survival tactic......Not only in detecting but in all walks of Life..Playing Dumb is better than Playing Smart! If things go bad, You can always flip out the "What did you expect?" card and display the Mentally Handicapped bumper sticker......Smart Folks like to hire the really damned dumb that they consider are no threats...Dot Gov protocols...."Hire somebody Dumber than you"...

As I go through this Life...evaluating the outcomes of my key strategic decisions....The smarter I think I am, the dumber I wish I was..I'd be way ahead being twice as dumb and half as smart as I think I am....:laughing: I should have this nailed and rolling in the green with an awesome Govt job and pension!! Yet this Shangri La of Dot Gov riches eludes me? ...

I'm pretty damned dumb, I've got the degree and experience, studied and tried really hard, but evidently I'm still over qualified? WTH is this?

Oh Well, Starbucks is always hiring Baristas...A guy can make good money on tips, especially in this Idiocracy era.....

Last edited:
.... The fact that they didn't come over and confront you semi implies consent ...

You were there, they saw you detecting, they said nothing, implied permission granted....

Hmm, while I know this would/could result in silly legal semantics wrangling, yet it reminded me of a humorous md'ing incident:

A buddy & I were md'ing an old-town urban demolition tearout after their 5pm cutout time. Lo & behold, some worker came back in the gate to do something. A few minutes later, as he went to exit again, he turned to us and said "Lock the gate on your way out". We said : "ok", and continued hunting.

Was there any Purple paint anywhere, such as on tree trunks or fence post? If so, Missouri law says it is the same as No Trespassing sign.

Was there any Purple paint anywhere, such as on tree trunks or fence post? If so, Missouri law says it is the same as No Trespassing sign.

No paint, and I would have ignored it since I thought the city had just bought it.

I found the right spot, a small 1920's house in bad shape that seems to be sitting on a larger previous buildings stone foundation and a cute little 1950's bungalow with a fairly new treated lumber porch that would look good in my backyard. Nice little home, its a shame to bulldoze it. It looks like there are a couple of small stone foundations in the back. Lots of trash, small bits of heavy auto chrome from when chrome was heavy and brake pads everywhere.
I cherry picked some high tones for a few dimes, and bottle caps, but the lack of quarters makes me wonder if someone cherry picked it before me. It's within cannon ball range of the First Battle of Springfield, and would have been in the middle of the Second Battle of Springfield.
I'm going back with the big shovel to try to clear some trash, but it's tuff hunting, the trx beeps at damn near every handfull of dirt

Maybe the guy peeled out in his truck because he thought you were looking for a gas leak or a bomb...who knows..but I hit any house or recently bulldozed property that the city has taken possession of...any house slated for demolition is fair game..just stay outside and don't even look in the windows..

Back
Top Bottom