To sharpen or not to sharpen

sharp tool

[/B
sharpen slow to not heat the metal, ( loss of temper)
then add a plastic T handle to make it easy to push in the ground
I cut off the tip on the plastic tool belt holder to let dirt & sand out.

for Lesch use non threaded T
for gator use threaded T
cut a small amount of the rubber handle off
then epox. glue the T to the tool where the rubber handle was

rancherJL

I like to keep a nice edge on mine, it does make a difference in soil, roots and
turf. I use a hand file only. You don't want it to be like a razor or it will dull easy
just a nice edge and give it a coat of lite oil after each hunt so it does
not rust. It seems a lot of the ones on the net that have broke at
the base (first serration), rust might be the blame. I have the RH (right hand)
model even know I am left handed it seems to work better for me. One of the best
tools in our hobby next to a pinpointer.
:imo:

Depends on what your definition of sharpen is. You are usually cutting into sand , gravel , and whatnot. Some people like to keep a good sharp blade but realistically just a crisp beveled edge makes more sense ultimately , for any digging tool. You will probably see some replies here by some who prefer to keep theirs super sharp so they can cut through stuff , but atleast in my opinion keeping a tool sharp that you use to cut sand seems more trouble than its worth. But I guess its just a personal preference , everybody does things a little different.

There are 2 things I do to my digger after each use. After wiping it down with a damp cloth removing all dirt I first use a steel to re-edge the digger. Then I wipe on some teflon lubricant. Takes about a minute. The digger cuts well, seems to slide into the dirt easier and dirt doesnt stick as much to the blade.

i like to keep a bit of an edge on my digger. i don't shave with it, but a sharper digger will cut a cleaner plug rather than tear at the grass. i do search a lot of privately owned and manicured lawns and neatness counts to me. :yes:
of course, all it takes is hitting that first rock and the edge starts getting dull again, but i run a file across mine every few hundred targets and i think it helps.
a sharper edge is helpful when woods hunting too, cutting through roots or hacking at brush or branches with a dull knife is no fun at all and can get to be very time consuming! :yes:

I don't keep mine super sharp for the most part as digging will just dull it sooner. I do however file the leading edge of the teeth on my Lesche digger so it cuts through roots better. What ever works for you is good. ;)

The lesche is made too brittle that's why it breaks easy and why it wears down so easy. I professionally make digging tools for detecting and have tested our stuff against the competition and we went with high grade stainless steel because it holds an edge, wears better and will bend before it snaps off and causes harm which has happened with certain other manufacturers which I wont name. You can sharpen the lesche but you will have to keep doing it. I've seen some that are just a few months old that have lost a large percentage of overall size from normal use.

Back
Top Bottom