Allow myself to introduce...myself

proliance

Hi everyone.

I stumbled across this forum while searching for a metal detector for my son for Christmas. Metal detecting sounds like a great way to get us out of the house and doing something together.

About 20 years ago I bought a Garrett metal detector (not sure what kind) after I saw a guy loose his ring at the beach. I went back the next day and after about 30 minutes I found the ring. Unfortunately there was no way to contact him, but I was hooked.

After marriage, job changes, moving several times and three kids, metal detecting took a back seat to everything else and the Garrett was eventually thrown out.

I started out just looking for a simple metal detector for my 13 yr. old, but the treasure hunting feel is back with a vengeance. So now I am looking for a new detector for myself as well as one for my son.

Did I see an ad or post somewhere that showed a detector for sale which included a less expensive youth version also? If someone could point me to that it would be great.

I'm in Middle Tennessee and the last time I went out detecting was near the Stones River National Battlefield. I looked at some maps of troop movements (just outside of the park) but we had such a drought the ground was too difficult to dig into. I'm dying to go back and try again.

So, if anyone has suggestions on a good "father and son combo" metal detector it would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard Proliance... good objective you have there... a bit of Dad/son bonding over a common interest/hobby. Check with Nate of Kellyco here on the boards... he can help you a great deal. RickO

Welcom to the forum from a fellow middle Tennessee'er.
I'm in Crossville up on the plateau.

I am also fairly new to the hobby, just recently picked it back up after a few years.

As far as recommendations on detectors there are several different possibilities depending on your budget. The Ace 250 seems very popular. I personally bought a Fisher F2. Very happy with it so far. I also have a Tesoro Compadre which my 8 yr old daughter uses. The compadre is a VERY simple turn on and go machine. One knob operation, small and light, plus Tesoro's have a lifetime warranty.

Ther Compadre runs around $150, and I got my F2 from Kellyco for $199 and it came with 2 coils, an 8 in and a 4 in.

Welcome! It really depends upon your budget and what features you are looking for in a metal detector. I have had pretty good luck with my Garrett ACE 250 as a beginner machine. It cost about $212 for a new one. There is quite a few mdr's out there that are under $300. White's, Garrett, Tesoro, and Minelab all make good metal detectors. I don't know much about Bounty Hunter machines, but most of them are under $200. There is plenty of more experienced people on this forum that can help you pick out a good metal detector. GL and HH

hi yea its easy to get hooked. i dont know if im a dirt junkie or a coin addict. but i know that i can quit any time i want (not).

A new Garrett Ace 250 is on the way for me. I'm not sure what I'll order for my son, but it will likely be something from Wal-Mart since I have a few gift cards from work that I was planning on using for Christmas shopping.

I have a 10 yr old daughter who is jealous of everything my 13 yr old does, so she will very likely want to join us in md'ing. My other kid is 17 and too busy with honors classes and girls, but who knows.

Thanks for all the advice and wish me luck searching for that next gold ring.

Welcome to our detecting family. It is a great family hobby. Good exercise and great discoveries. But I should warn you, it can become habit forming!!:D Good luck and enjoy the time with your children.:yes:

...Welcome to MDing. It is great family fun and many fine outings will follow if you approach it correctly! Just make it enjoyable for your children,even if you need to seed the area (just a little) to step up their confidene and enjoment! JMHO......... Jan

Welcome

Welcome From Texas. Great To Have You And Your Son On Board. Its Nice To Have Someone To Hunt With. Good Luck And Happy Hunting To You Both. Keep Us Posted On What Detectors You End Up With.

Back
Top Bottom