Anybody hunt at night?

Good thing about the Nox 800 is the low light setting isn't bad. I can still see my grid lines....

Yes: If there is a super low setting, that will help alleviate the problem of your pupils adjusting to that . But the problem is still somewhat there, even at the low settings.

I was night-hunting with a buddy once, who had a machine where the backlight could be set to low. And he also set a red film plastic thing over it, so that it was dull red as well. And as the night progressed, I could always tell where he was in the field, by simply looking around at the landscape, and I could see him unmistakable red glow in the distance somewhere.

Yet I noticed, that each time I would look at his red glow, then return to look at the ground in front of me, it took a few seconds and blinks of the eyes, to bring the ground back into focus (to see rocks, shrubs, etc...). Thus I still think absolutely no light at all (and simply pick a full-ish moon night) is preferable.

I enjoy hunting at night especially this time of year. I'm just more selective with the parks I hunt for safety. I won't be going into south central LA at night :laughing:

Interesting question. I have hunted at night but with the Garrett I have to use a light to dig and find my targets. I’m just not accurate enough to do it any other way.

Generally I will hunt early morning, right at dusk. I have hunted at night but I dont like it as much. Its certainly a different feeling and I like to see better in the day.

I hunt my hillside (my property) but still armed just in case at night. I’ve found silver and gold but always bring a light.

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Good thing about the Nox 800 is the low light setting isn't bad. I can still see my grid lines. Set on high you can't see your hand at night:lol:

No joke, the 600 with backlight on is like staring at the sun.

Nox 600

Not a chance hunting at night where I live, you would either get jumped or the Police would coerce you to leave. Although, I would like to.

No joke, the 600 with backlight on is like staring at the sun.
Nox 600

Yes it is. I cant see using it for very long, you would have to charge up every hour. LOL.

Not a chance hunting at night where I live, you would either get jumped or the Police would coerce you to leave. Although, I would like to.

Yes it is. I cant see using it for very long, you would have to charge up every hour. LOL.

The battery lasts forever yours eyes don’t

Nox 600

I do it all the time, often it's the only time I have a chance to get out and swing. Like alot of others I don't use any lights other than that one of the carrot for retrieving targets. I do however wear a headlight like a necklace but only for those times I put my digger or something else down and can't find it in the dark. Happened to me a few times, once I had to drive home to get a flashlight and back to find my digger. Seem to have my best hunts when I'm not able to look at the screen.

I would love to, especially since I’m used to third shift schedule for work. However, I always feel vulnerable when I am out by myself as a petite young woman, so I tend to stick to hunting in the daylight. That, and it attracts less cops/attention.

This is an Audio Primary sport! You dont need your oculars except to get you from one place to the other via car...Once on site, you fire up your rig and go dead dark and hunt audio...Its way better and super safe and easier to hunt at night, enshrouded safely in the cloak of invisibleness that darkness affords...the ambient white noise of the bustling World is more muted at night and nobody can see you if you are hunting completely dark in the dead hours from 3am to 6am...

Its amazing how sharp your other senses get when you are deprived of the visuals we generally rely on, a guy can feel by feet, a guy can feel by sound and smells.....Embrace the darkness...Never trust your lying eyes...Flashlights and headlamps and backlights are relatively new contrivances...Hunt full dark in the dead hours...

Attachments

• night.jpg
    night.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 109
Not my cup of tea. I have done it, but I prefer to be able to see my surroundings in the light. I like to hunt wooded areas here and don't care to try and stare down a black bear looking for something to eat. Besides, this is northern Michigan and we grow some very big, hungry skeeters here.

Not my cup of tea. I have done it, but I prefer to be able to see my surroundings in the light. I like to hunt wooded areas here and don't care to try and stare down a black bear looking for something to eat. Besides, this is northern Michigan and we grow some very big, hungry skeeters here.

Gladly trade bugs with ya. I thought they were bad there til i moved up here. Up here they are soo big i have to tie counter weights on the kids so they dont get carried off:laughing:

Gladly trade bugs with ya. I thought they were bad there til i moved up here. Up here they are soo big i have to tie counter weights on the kids so they dont get carried off:laughing:

Oh I hear ya Yooper. Oh Black flies, that fill the skies, and buzz around my head. To go outside with no OFF to hide, will surely turn me red.:pullhair::surrender:

I enjoy hunting at night especially this time of year.
I'm just more selective with the parks I hunt for safety. I won't be going into south central LA at night :laughing:

I would love to, especially since I’m used to third shift schedule for work. However, I always feel vulnerable when I am out by myself as a petite young woman, so I tend to stick to hunting in the daylight. That, and it attracts less cops/attention.

You have to be careful to know what parks/areas might be okay and what areas to definitely avoid :laughing::laughing::laughing:

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3068598&postcount=2155

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2915127&postcount=22

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=2934843&postcount=345

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3020943&postcount=1606

I just bought the Nox and it’s backlit. Seems like a night hunt might be in order after special events. Anyone hunt beaches or parks at night?

I have to stay away from parks (it's illegal in them), but schools have no night rules, so I detect them all the time!

I use a really great headlamp:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FZG845/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These headlamps are the BOMB. it's like bright as day in the field at your feet. I never feel unsafe with them, because if you put them in someone's face, they absolutely cannot see anything else.

I wear them over a ball cap, and they're super comfortable.

Cheers!

Skippy

I wear a Springfield 9mm at night. If anyone tries !!!! they usually back down. Never shot anyone but have deterred many

Nox 600

I just bought the Nox and it’s backlit. Seems like a night hunt might be in order after special events. Anyone hunt beaches or parks at night?

Used to hunt nightcrawlers in the park at night. Someone called the cops because they saw someone(me) hunched over in the park at night. :laughing:
I used a green lens on the flashlight. Didn't spook the quick, skittish crawlers as much as clear or red light.
The backlight on the 800 is perfect in the low setting when it starts getting dark out. I doubt I will ever need the brighter settings.

Back
Top Bottom