Banks getting salty...

I found a Wells Fargo that seems to be pretty cool about coins lol. The manager is all about collecting coins so it worked out. Gonna go try to buy some here in a little bit and hopefully have a few coins to go through. I sure miss metal detecting tho!

I found a Wells Fargo that seems to be pretty cool about coins lol. The manager is all about collecting coins so it worked out. Gonna go try to buy some here in a little bit and hopefully have a few coins to go through. I sure miss metal detecting tho!

That's neat, just hope the manager hadn't already checked all the coins first :lol:

That's neat, just hope the manager hadn't already checked all the coins first :lol:

LOL! Thats exactly what I thought! It worked out pretty well tho! Found about 6 or 7 Wheaties, 2 of them were 20's and 30's. Hopefully this bank doesnt get tired of talking coins LOL. Ill eventually choose another bank to open an account with, most of them have different types of accounts that are set up for military or prior service. Just gotta look around I suppose. Im gonna choose the one with the oldest coins! HAHA:laughing:

LOL! Thats exactly what I thought! It worked out pretty well tho! Found about 6 or 7 Wheaties, 2 of them were 20's and 30's. Hopefully this bank doesnt get tired of talking coins LOL. Ill eventually choose another bank to open an account with, most of them have different types of accounts that are set up for military or prior service. Just gotta look around I suppose. Im gonna choose the one with the oldest coins! HAHA:laughing:

:laughing: …...ask the teller how old their coins are and see what look you get :?: :lol:

Congrats on the Wheaties !!!!

I wonder how many people who work at banks ever get the idea to do coin roll hunting themselves.

I searched roughly $150k in coin between 2008-2014. Road trips, cold calling and box orders. I had a great relationship with my accounts, over a half dozen at a time. They (banks) made plenty money off of me in the form of interest rates and misc fees, I did not cost them money, so I plead not guilty.

Truth is, bank personnel are tired of roll hunters creating extra work for them, but they won’t admit it, it’s their job. They’re tired of dealing with hunters that are unaware of the etiquette required to keep bank employees content. They’re tired of dealing with whiners that complain about short roll and bag counts, tired of parking lot hunters that dump rejects on premise, tired of those that eat where they dump...and no-accounts that demand to be catered to. A bank is not a coin shop, but sometimes we treat them as if they are. I can go on and on with more examples, but you get my point.

I really enjoyed hunting coin but after six years straight, I had to face the fact that the cost in time and gas outweighed the fun, so I finally quit. I haven’t been in a bank in five years.

I've not done any CRH except when I pick up a couple rolls of quarters for laundry but I do have a question for those that do this.

When you bring the coins back to the bank do you have them rolled or loose? This may be a stupid question but inquiring minds want to know.

Cliff

I've not done any CRH except when I pick up a couple rolls of quarters for laundry but I do have a question for those that do this.

When you bring the coins back to the bank do you have them rolled or loose? This may be a stupid question but inquiring minds want to know.

Cliff

I NEVER bring them back loose. I either suck it up and pay the couple dollars at a coinstar or some other means of turning them back into paper.

I searched roughly $150k in coin between 2008-2014. Road trips, cold calling and box orders. I had a great relationship with my accounts, over a half dozen at a time. They (banks) made plenty money off of me in the form of interest rates and misc fees, I did not cost them money, so I plead not guilty.

Truth is, bank personnel are tired of roll hunters creating extra work for them, but they won’t admit it, it’s their job. They’re tired of dealing with hunters that are unaware of the etiquette required to keep bank employees content. They’re tired of dealing with whiners that complain about short roll and bag counts, tired of parking lot hunters that dump rejects on premise, tired of those that eat where they dump...and no-accounts that demand to be catered to. A bank is not a coin shop, but sometimes we treat them as if they are. I can go on and on with more examples, but you get my point.

I really enjoyed hunting coin but after six years straight, I had to face the fact that the cost in time and gas outweighed the fun, so I finally quit. I haven’t been in a bank in five years.

I would agree, especially about the having them do extra work and re roll them and all the reject coins being found in the parking lots... HOWEVER, when WE go to the bank, we never ask for them to cash in our coins, we already have them in paper form, we dont ask for weird numbers or anything. Just a box of pennies and maybe a roll or 2 of quarters. The last one tried to tell me they were "out of pennies....:roll: " Some of them are more than happy to take our cash and trade them for coins as long as we dont ask them to open a new box or cash in our coins. Since we walk in with cash, I cant think of a single reason (other than them being @@@ holes) that they wouldnt sell me coins. Its not like were homeless asking to trade in our pan handling money for cash... quite the opposite..... were asking for coins, not cash and already have the cash....

Cliff
Cliff, I used to sometimes dump thousands of dollars in coin at a time, but never at the same location that I bought them from, even if I was only cashing in 20 or 30 dollars. It’s just poor roll hunting etiquette. Now, if you only do it once or twice a month in a very small amount, it may not be that big of a deal. If your bank has a coin counting machine, it should be free to account holders, if not, pony up the fee or just change banks. There are too many out there to pay any kind of fee. If your dump bank doesn’t have a counter, they may or may not accept rolled coin.

One more thing, if your bank charges any kind of maintainance fees period...it’s time to look for a new bank, or better yet, credit union.

Good luck!

I would agree, especially about the having them do extra work and re roll them and all the reject coins being found in the parking lots... HOWEVER, when WE go to the bank, we never ask for them to cash in our coins, we already have them in paper form, we dont ask for weird numbers or anything. Just a box of pennies and maybe a roll or 2 of quarters. The last one tried to tell me they were "out of pennies....:roll: " Some of them are more than happy to take our cash and trade them for coins as long as we dont ask them to open a new box or cash in our coins. Since we walk in with cash, I cant think of a single reason (other than them being @@@ holes) that they wouldnt sell me coins. Its not like were homeless asking to trade in our pan handling money for cash... quite the opposite..... were asking for coins, not cash and already have the cash....
No offense, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I doubt that I'll be doing any CRH in the near future. I was just curious on the etiquette of returning the coins. The couple of rolls I get every couple of weeks go into the laundry machines so I don't have to worry about it. I have brought several years worth of change to the bank a while back and used their machine. It sure was easier than having to roll them all. Lol

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom