This is just strange...

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
I was sitting here thinking about where I'd like to go detect if it warms up enough tomorrow, and it occurred to me that everything really good with the exception of a few wheaties and one silver ring, I've found less than a quarter mile from my house.

I've tried a flea market site, an 1890s hotel site in town, half an empty block of downtown real estate, all of the downtown alleyways and open lots that I could get permission for, several really old rural school sites, two other lakes (I live on a little lake that was just farmland until the 1950s), three city parks, several school sites in town that have been schools since the early 1900s, some old rural church lots, and several vacant residential lots both in and out of town.

And although I've found some neat relics and other odds & ends, I have never found silver anywhere else. I can't explain it but it's really just strange.

I've tried a flea market site, an 1890s hotel site in town........ I can't explain it but it's really just strange.

Are you at least digging wheat back pennies and older nickels? If you are getting the older coins, but no silvers, there has to be silver around. No place is ever hunted out. Be persistent at the sites which are bringing in the 50 year old coins.

Hang in there. Sooner or later you will hit pay dirt. :yes:

are you at least digging wheat back pennies and older nickels? If you are getting the older coins, but no silvers, there has to be silver around. No place is ever hunted out. Be persistent at the sites which are bringing in the 50 year old coins.

+1
hh

Are you at least digging wheat back pennies and older nickels? If you are getting the older coins, but no silvers, there has to be silver around. No place is ever hunted out. Be persistent at the sites which are bringing in the 50 year old coins.

That's what I've been thinking. I have an empty half block (the downtown one) that they're getting ready to put a store up on in the next 6 months or so, I've only gotten 3 wheaties out of it in the past year, no old nickels at all... but there was a horse stable and old house on one corner of it and two old houses on the other, plus it's right in a common foot traffic area that sure should have some silver on it. I may work that one some more just because it will soon be under a stinking parking lot. I've recovered some household trash relics there from around the late 30s to the 50s... But the it's in a town that was founded in the late 1880s...

Makes me wonder too, since this part of Oklahoma was in the dust bowl how much dust actually blew in and covered the pre-dust bowl era stuff deeper than it would have been otherwise. Maybe that makes some areas give up less old stuff when it sure as heck should be there.

I did order myself a DD coil for the F2 just for that lot since I've scoured it with both the stock and sniper coils. It should be here by this weekend which might make it a different ballgame. At least it will be interesting to give it a try.

Just a follow-up on the DD coil... Got it finally a few days ago but haven't had it out to that particular site in town yet. I can tell I have a little learning curve pinpointing the target with it but am starting to get the hang of it. It's definitely a huge change from using the little sniper coil, that one had me spoiled!

Another update on the DD on the particular lot... I took it out a few times and hit that lot hard. I did manage to pick up half a snaffle bit and a saddle cinch ring, and another ring thing that my dad says was dragged behind a harrow... all of these in the middle of town.

But.. not another single coin on that whole half-block lot. Just went back today and put the sniper coil back over it since it's pretty trashy and nothing else found worth digging up. I did clear out a few more flat beer cans...

I guess my next DD project will be the old family farm that we no longer own, but I have permission to hunt. Maybe it will be put to better use there.

When I bought my f2 a couple weeks ago I bought it with the dd coil so I don't have anything to compare it to in regards to a standard concentric one but I do like the dd. I have only found clad thus far in the few hours I've had to search but I would say the majority of what I've found has been fairly deep with many of my dimes and copper pennies being 8 inches or more. I do have the sniper coil now, but the weather and my work schedule have not allowed me to take advantage of it yet. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in to let ya'll know what I thought of the 11" dd. HH!

When I bought my f2 a couple weeks ago I bought it with the dd coil so I don't have anything to compare it to in regards to a standard concentric one but I do like the dd. I have only found clad thus far in the few hours I've had to search but I would say the majority of what I've found has been fairly deep with many of my dimes and copper pennies being 8 inches or more. I do have the sniper coil now, but the weather and my work schedule have not allowed me to take advantage of it yet. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in to let ya'll know what I thought of the 11" dd. HH!

I appreciate it! I'm going to take it out tomorrow to re-hunt a site I hit today, I know there has to be deeper silver there that the sniper may not have found me. I'm eager to see how it does on a site that I know should give up the old stuff...

Back
Top Bottom