What might do this to a tree?

Great pics showing growth around objects , the original looks like part was chopped out , no objects showing on either side or in the middle of the tree. IMO
HH

Sometimes parasitic vines that grow from the ground will wrap themselves around a tree and cause the tree to grow misshapen. I have some I've cut down in the early stages that the vine twisted and made spirals out of the tree, they make cool walking sticks.

Google "tree burl", the tree produces excess wood to try to isolate something that is bothering the tree itself. Some burl wood is very nice and VERY expensive, like amboyna burl or thuya burl...
Yep, and I've heard of a funny one - Milton Burl.

I am more or less an expert on trees with over 20 years of field experience..

IMO.. That tree looks to have suffered from mechanical damage, maybe an ATV ran into it some time ago (years)?

It also could have been a co-dominant (two trunks) tree, and one side of it died, with the living half still trying to compartmentalize the area where the damage occurred...

It could be a malformed burl as well, caused by a burrowing insect larva...

Looks to be a red elm from here....

<*)))>{

I looked at it again, and it just looks like someone started to cut it down and stopped a 1/4 of the way through it.

I learned a lot more on this subject than I would have ever thought... Thanks team

It's amazing how plants and trees adapt to their environment. You should check out how phototropism causes extreme abnormal growth of trees, such as the Crooked Forest in Poland. The tree in the picture below grew this way as a result of phototropism. I would hate to mow around that in my yard. :shock:

Attachments

• 9Ck1C[1].jpg
    9Ck1C[1].jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom