Just checking in

Dusty Eagle

Forum Supporter
I thought I might drop in to let you all know, I'm still alive and kicking. I even got a chance yesterday to go metal detecting with my neighbor. He had gotten us permission to search an area of the historical Sante Fe Trail on private land, where wagon ruts are still visible. We didn't find much. :no: but had a good time anyway. I think artifacts may have settled in deeper than my Ace150 could detect. I was getting hits in "All Metal Mode" but deeper than I wanted to dig. I was the first time in couple of months I've had the chance to get out to do some detecting. I think the 'bug' has re-bit, and with the weather turning cooler, I may drop in a little more often.:tumble:

I hope all has been well.

Dusty Eagle

You might try going back there after this rain ends, and dig some of those deep iron targets--I'd be curious to know what they were.

Sounds like an interesting place..... wish we had something like that around here.... keep us posted on how you do....

so far...

So far.. a length of barb wire fence..about a foot long, a couple of peices of wire, a possible slug from a rifle maybe.. I plan to post a "what-is-it" picture of that one... and did covered wagons.. use wheel weights??? :roll:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=25&pictureid=3075

The picture I added to the first message, is the area that was taken of a 'fly-over' that I went on with my neigbor. He owns his own plane and is a pilot. :spin:

Dusty Eagle

maybe next time

Maybe next time.. we chose to go east.. (to the right of the road shown in the first picture) because about a quarter mile east of the path is the location of the area known as "Camp Coral", a historical Calvary Post on the Sante Fe Trail. We're working on getting permission to search that area too!

Hey Booker!.. I don't tell ALL my secrets! ;)

Dusty Eagle

As you know Custers 7th Camped out in Council Grove. Lot of history there. There is a tree by the river they say his headquarters was

Sante Fe trail

By the signs at the area of the the Coral, Custer had stayed here too.

Dusty Eagle

There is a lot of potential in an area like that... sure, lots of trash too... but the possibility of significant finds is great.. let us know.. HH RickO

Back
Top Bottom