Where to start looking for gold in Japan?

theinkinjapan

I am based in Tokyo at the moment and would like to find some gold.
I don`t think there is much of a metal detecting community in Japan. I could only find a couple of posts about people searching the beaches.
I prefer to find gold when i have the option.
My new detector will be arriving soon.
I don`t know here to start looking.

The only ideas I have are look in places where alluvial gold was found in the past.

I have found some places online where gold was found in rivers and mined 400-500 years ago, but I have the feeling if i turned up there, I might be okay panning, but perhaps not detecting.

Most of non-urban japan is forested and extremely hilly.

I don`t expect there are many people who can tell me exactly where to look, but if you could that would be great.

If you could tell me how to figure out where to look, that would be great too.

I am a beginner and will be using a GPX5000

If you're only hunting for gold, I'd suggest geological research and any history of mining in the area.

Also, familiarize yourself with local laws on metal detecting. That's all I've got.

:shrug:

I've been to Nagoya 10 times over the last 4 years. I'm not sure where to go for natural gold. The larger cities were heavily bombed during WW2 so going to parks for coins etc. may turn up a ton of junk. I do know that a large chain store called "Tokyu Hands" does carry a metal detector. Not sure if it's a brand we would recognize here in the states. It was hung up on the wall too high for me to get a good look at.

Have fun in Japan! If you get a chance eat some chicken wings at a chain called "Yamachans"!! Incredible wings! And be sure to check out a Japanese baseball game. The Yomiyuri Giants in Tokyo are like the Yankees here. Great fun!!

http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/en/

Back
Top Bottom