• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Masked by Square Nails - Many pics

Wildcat1750 (nyjrbethelct)

Forum Supporter
While detecting the field across the road from my house with the Ace 250 in ALL-METAL mode I came across a high concentration of small targets with several RELIC signals mixed in. Almost every plug I opened had a layered concentration flat nails, as well as metallic relics and even non-metallic targets of interest. There was evidence that some of these items may have been burned in place or burned elsewhere, like a fireplace, and dumped here afterwards. :?:

It was easier to just turn off my metal detector, get down on my hands and knees, and use my pin pointer and sand scoop. I didn’t want to miss any of those embedded non-metallic relics! I am impressed by the large number of buttons and utensils, as well as clay pipes (all the fragments piece together to form 2 almost complete stem/bowl combos), and flaked scraping tool. I’m thinking that the piece of horn tip (at 1st I thought tooth or antler) is from an ox, either broken off to fasten the ox knob or to use as a button. I was also happy to find not just one but four :DNew York Militia Buttons.

There was just so much there that I’ll just let the photos tell the story. From the looks of it there is much more to find just beyond the 3 foot square area I sifted today. I shall be returning for more goodies.

Thanks for looking!
Nick

Attachments

• 101_1840_mask2.jpg
    101_1840_mask2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 603
  • 101_1860_mask.jpg
    101_1860_mask.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 557
  • 101_1875_mask.jpg
    101_1875_mask.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 617
  • 101_1835_mask2.jpg
    101_1835_mask2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 579
  • 101_1834_mask2.jpg
    101_1834_mask2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 603
  • 101_1885_mask.jpg
    101_1885_mask.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 101_1633.jpg
    101_1633.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 563
  • 101_3949.jpg
    101_3949.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 554
  • 101_1850.jpg
    101_1850.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 556
  • 101_1855.jpg
    101_1855.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 552
  • 101_3967_crop.jpg
    101_3967_crop.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 577
  • 101_1877.jpg
    101_1877.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 556
  • 101_1892.jpg
    101_1892.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 562
  • 101_1481.jpg
    101_1481.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Way to dig through the iron. That's why I never believe when someone says an area is hunted out, there is always something hidden by all the iron trash.

There's gotta be some old coins there too. I doubt that site had ever been hunted judging by the amount of miscellaneous items you found there. You should expect to find some real goodies there, in addition to those you already have.

You got all that in one day...in one 3 by 3 area? Holy wow! Should be in eye popping category. That is real something!:shock: Is the site associated with a cellar hole? Congrats on finding a really great site.

You got all that in one day...in one 3 by 3 area? Holy wow! Should be in eye popping category. That is real something!:shock: Is the site associated with a cellar hole? Congrats on finding a really great site.
Thanks. Yes, all in one 3x3 area, in the edge of an open field, near the road. It is directly across the road from where a 1750s house and tack room once stood. It lines up with an opening in the stone wall. There was also a blacksmith shop on that side of the road, which may explain some of the odder pieces of iron.
wow some awesome stuff! a coat musta got burned with all them ny buttons
I think that's exactly what happened. I'm hoping there's more.
Wow you must be beat. Well worth the effort for those buttons..
wow, you must be tired from digging. Just the amount of nails is amazing.
I am. My back is killing me from kneeling and hauling out a bucket of iron and my hands are sore from the clean-up!..but it sure is worth it.:D
There's gotta be some old coins there too. I doubt that site had ever been hunted judging by the amount of miscellaneous items you found there. You should expect to find some real goodies there, in addition to those you already have.
That's what I'm hoping. I've found 2 Liberty Seated Dimes and 2 IH Cents close by, so I know they're out there.
Way to dig through the iron. That's why I never believe when someone says an area is hunted out, there is always something hidden by all the iron trash.
So true, especially when the iron is mostly square nails.
Wow, that's a lot of loot! Nice job with all the digging, nice buttons,etc.
Every time I hit a button I did the happy dance.:D

Last edited:
Those are some awesome finds & you are very knowledgeable by being able to ID all of that stuff you found.... :yes:

A lot of interesting finds. Must have kept you busy. And you say out of a small part of the area you have available to search. Hope you find a lot more goodies there.

M6 Mike

that's an impressive pile of loot!!! :shock::shock:
and all of that in such a small area? wow, you can retire by the time you finish up with that piece of land. :lol:
thanks for the post! (and i learned from your post that an item i dug last weekend is indeed one of those ox knob things. i wasn't quite sure about it until now, lol.)

Pete

That is great! How big did you say the rest of that field is? Your either going to be in great shape or in the hosptial with a bad back by the time you're done digging the entire area.

I have found some of them white glass type buttons. Do you know how old they are and what they used them on? Great job on finding all them goodies.

awsome bunch of cool finds,when are you going back. Blev
ASAP ;)
I have found some of them white glass type buttons. Do you know how old they are and what they used them on? Great job on finding all them goodies.
I believe they are made of china but I'm not sure how old they are. I think that china buttons printed with indigo patterns were produced in the 1840s.
That is great! How big did you say the rest of that field is? Your either going to be in great shape or in the hosptial with a bad back by the time you're done digging the entire area.
It is part of a very large field where I've hit many good targets but this spot seems to be particularly target rich.:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom