I think I stumbled onto a virgin site, and my first Buff nickel EVER!

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
I finally decided yesterday to go check out a site I've had my eye on for a while now, and boy, am I glad I did!

Yesterday I dug 15 quarters, 12 dimes, 4 nickels, and 16 pennies. It took me a while as this site is about 10 acres more or less... and it's been in use since before statehood. I didn't get a picture, just washed them off and put them in my change jar.

Today I went back for another go at it. I found 2 Kennedy Halves, 12 quarters (the oldest today 1967) 4 dimes, and 6 nickels. One of the nickels is all green and I can't quite get the date on it, but think it may be 1960 or maybe 1940. Just can't see it well enough to say.

picture.php

The big surprise of the day was my first Buffalo Nickel Ever! Finally! It's a 1935 and in relatively good shape all things considered.

picture.php

picture.php

After two days of just about non-stop digging I've decided this site must be one of those rare critters, a virgin spot. I'll be hunting this one until I get down to the silver, it's a pretty trashy site as well! I dug a lot of trash to get those 76 coins...

picture.php

Congrats! Bet you'll end-up with plenty more finds.

If I field hunt, I take along an old 5 gallon bucket to dump my trash pouch every to often and keep it semi close to me.

Excellent finds ! Good luck out there!

Thanks!

Congrats! Bet you'll end-up with plenty more finds.

If I field hunt, I take along an old 5 gallon bucket to dump my trash pouch every to often and keep it semi close to me.

Thank you, I think so :yes:
I have a bucket that I used to keep in the truck for that purpose and think I took it out a while back when I cleaned out the truck, thanks for the reminder. I need to put that thing back in. I'm gonna dig a lot more trash out there, and just about all of it is ringing like dimes so I can't just ignore it. :lol: Holy cow...

It took me a while as this site is about 10 acres more or less... and it's been in use since before statehood.

Looks like you have a nice place there.

It will take you longer than quite a while depending on trash. I have spent 2+ hours clearing out one 10'x10' patch of ground. That is only 100 square feet of area. You are looking at 435600 square feet. That will take quite a while of whiles ;)

As fare as use goes, it has likely been in use since before statehood. A lot of people on the forums think for some reason that since a city or town was incorporated on date X, they won't find anything earlier than that. Or, since State Y wasn't a state until date Z, that nothing old can be found there.

The British, French, and Spanish have spent a good many a year criss-crossing the country and have no doubt left a lot of lost things in their wake. I drove through a town today that was incorporated in 1877. They were farming in the town in the late 1600's/early 1700's as it was once part of a town settled/incorporated in 1655.

When looking for places to hunt, look not at the incorporated date, but instead the settlement date.

Looks like you have a nice place there.

It will take you longer than quite a while depending on trash. I have spent 2+ hours clearing out one 10'x10' patch of ground. That is only 100 square feet of area. You are looking at 435600 square feet. That will take quite a while of whiles ;)

As fare as use goes, it has likely been in use since before statehood. A lot of people on the forums think for some reason that since a city or town was incorporated on date X, they won't find anything earlier than that. Or, since State Y wasn't a state until date Z, that nothing old can be found there.

The British, French, and Spanish have spent a good many a year criss-crossing the country and have no doubt left a lot of lost things in their wake. I drove through a town today that was incorporated in 1877. They were farming in the town in the late 1600's/early 1700's as it was once part of a town settled/incorporated in 1655.

When looking for places to hunt, look not at the incorporated date, but instead the settlement date.

I agree, it could be a site that I'll be able to work on for the rest of my life if I pace myself :lol: I know that it had people on it as early as the 1830s, at least crossing it, and my own family first stopped in Oklahoma a few miles north of that area in about 1886 where they lived in a half-dugout, so yep, there's more history to places than we sometimes think!

Good job Gal o' BB's! :grin:

Sounds like you have found yourself a nice prospect

Thank you! I think so :yes:

That is so awesome!! I never cared about old coins until I found my own first one! Congrats on the buffalo!

That is so awesome!! I never cared about old coins until I found my own first one! Congrats on the buffalo!

I know what you mean, I didn't care about them either but now I have a special little jar for my oldies! Thanks my friend! :yes:

Congrats on your first Buff and the other finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your first Injun Nickel:lol::laughing:
I don't know why everybody refers to it as a buffalo nickel, the buffalo is on the back!
Hunt the snot out of that place.

Congrats on your first Buff and the other finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Will be monitoring your progression with more hunts in your site.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice Buffalo.

Thanks, I'll keep track of all the finds out of there now that I know I'm onto something good.

Those buffs are so cool looking! Hopefully someday I'll get one too. Congrats on your spot!

This first for me was a long time coming, thanks! You'll get one, just keep on hunting. :yes:

Congratulations on your first Injun Nickel:lol::laughing:
I don't know why everybody refers to it as a buffalo nickel, the buffalo is on the back!
Hunt the snot out of that place.

Haha, I was thinking about that when I dug this buff, then we call IH's Indian heads when it's not an Indian at all! Crazy... I'm gonna hunt it until I can't anymore!

Grats on a rare nickel!

Thanks!

Congrats! Have you ever hunted the old Doyle school site? My family is from the Bray / Doyle area.

Thanks!
No, I haven't. Not sure where that's at, but I'm not far from Bray, just out at Lake Humphreys. I'd sure hunt the old school site if I could find it though... :yes:

I'd like to find the old town of Pearl too, my gg Grandpa lived there for a bit and I guess it was where Doyle is now kind of ??? I know there's Pearl Church, that may be about all that's left. And didn't they move Doyle when they put in Clear Creek Lake?

Way to go BB!! I've found a few of those and they sure are a lot of fun to hunt.
never no 10 acres though:( Congrats!!

Lucky

Wow, you are so lucky to have found such a site. I know there's some pretty cool finds there just waiting for you to come along and dig them up. I remember my first Indian Head Nickel, I was so excited, and proud, it was about six inches deep. Do you need a rock tumbler to clean your finds?
Good Luck

I know you don't want to give the actual site away, but what "type" of site was it? An old school, playground, abandoned town, riverboat landing, fairgrounds? Just curious, and I promise I won't look for it--I live WAY too far North! Feel free to be vague :-)

Also, anyone who watches the History Channel knows there were very likely people crossing back and forth over this country for the last 1500 years, regardless of what our History books said. Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom