New Metal Detector Confusion

Snocrash

Hello All,
Not Sure if i should be posting here, But i recently started a new hobby hunting for the odd trace of gold, panning on streams in the north here. ( In Northern Canada)
I started looking into metal detectors a few weeks ago, too see if this can help, as lot the terrain is very inhospitable , and hard to access, easiest way i have found is forging our way up a stream bed, as easier believe it or not than the woods. So this lead me to look at the Garrett AT GOLD , which seem to have some nice features.. And waterproof. and like the lcd display , seemed by some the videos; the bomb of detectors.. but wow to my surprise. Now Here's were noob part comes in, i was reading books bought with my gold pans from the Garret co founders, panning buddies; so plugs for equipment came from there. So the first place i looked was the Garrett site; at there detectors. It wasn't till i went to shopping, i realized of course, competition; There lots of other detectors. And then i start looking at specs and buzz words and reviews and wow .. boom my heads a spinning with information perhaps too much information now.
So to get to the point, I am looking for some advice, just like when ppl come to me asking computer advice..
I mainly plan on using this over rocky terrain and water, means need waterproofing , i don't live near an ocean so don't need salt options, but one the areas or hills near buy is sandy , with rocks boulders and shale , completely different earth and composition to the northern area i go which is Canadian shield hard rock..iron galore..
I have looked at whites v3i , Vx3 , but i see waterproof coils but i worried if walking up a stream trip fall in water, sooner or later i'm sure this going to happen. Like idea of 3 different frequencies. , Which also i was looking a review in forums , of a gold at vs minelab's xterra 705 , which once read i had sold myself on minelab's but obviously i cross off the xterra do too worried about falling in water... led me to look at other stuff in there line like safari and Etec, again waterproof coils but i see noting about the consoles or lcd;s , so leads me back to Garrett at gold. But thought as for advice or where to be pointed to read or get a good idea. Thanks all Ahead Time
Sno

Hello All,
Not Sure if i should be posting here, But i recently started a new hobby hunting for the odd trace of gold, panning on streams in the north here. ( In Northern Canada)
I started looking into metal detectors a few weeks ago, too see if this can help, as lot the terrain is very inhospitable , and hard to access, easiest way i have found is forging our way up a stream bed, as easier believe it or not than the woods. So this lead me to look at the Garrett AT GOLD , which seem to have some nice features.. And waterproof. and like the lcd display , seemed by some the videos; the bomb of detectors.. but wow to my surprise. Now Here's were noob part comes in, i was reading books bought with my gold pans from Garret founders, panning buddies so plugs for equipment came from there. So the first place i looked Garrett site at there detectors. It wasn't till i went to shopping i realized of course, competition There lots of other detectors. And then i start looking at specs and buzz words and reviews and wow .. boom my heads a spinning with information perhaps too much information now.
So to get to the point, I am looking for some advice, just like when ppl come to me asking computer advice..
I mainly plan on using this over rocky terrain and water, means need waterproofing , i don't live near an ocean so don't need salt options, but one the areas or hills near buy is sandy , with rocks boulders and shale , completely different earth and composition to the northern area i go which is Canadian shield hard rock..iron galore..
I have looked at whites v3i , Vx3 , but i see waterproof coils but i worried if walking up a stream trip fall in water, sooner or later i'm sure this going to happen. Like idea of 3 different frequencies. , Which also i was looking a review in forums , of a gold at vs minelab's xterra 705 , which once read i had sold myself on minelab's but obviously i cross off the xterra do too worried about falling in water... led me to look at other stuff in there line like safari and Etec, again waterproof coils but i see noting about the consoles or lcd;s , so leads me back to Garrett at gold. But thought as for advice or where to be pointed to read or get a good idea. Thanks all Ahead Time
Sno

Check out the Garrett ATX if you want a waterproof gold specific machine. The v3i, CTX 3030, AT Pro, etc. are all great detectors for coins and relics but would not be most peoples first choice for gold hunting since they will miss small gold and not go as deep as a PI machine.

I guess i was looking to try spend below 1500.00 was all. I didn't research it due to price.. i'll have to look at it specs thanks ...

If you go to this link on Kellyco they have a very nice set up for comparing detectors. You might look at the goldbugs also. I hear alot of good things about them but I'm not sure if they're waterproof. Here is the link for the detector comparison page on kellyco. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/compare/ Good luck. There is a lot of info out there to sift through.

I guess i was looking to try spend below 1500.00 was all. I didn't research it due to price.. i'll have to look at it specs thanks ...

You might be able to find a used or factory refurbished one for less money but it would exactly suit your needs, they're rugged, waterproof, and built for finding gold. Honestly if the area is rich in gold something like the ATX pro will pay for itself quickly in the additional gold it finds vs. normal VLF detectors. I have a V3i and love it, it's perfect for coins, relics, jewelry, however I would not buy one for gold hunting, as all those detectors you mentioned will miss small gold. I also would not use the V3i around water too often since it's a non-waterproof land detector. I'm not aware of any other gold specific detectors that are waterproof other than the ATX.

If you go to this link on Kellyco they have a very nice set up for comparing detectors. You might look at the goldbugs also. I hear alot of good things about them but I'm not sure if they're waterproof. Here is the link for the detector comparison page on kellyco. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/compare/ Good luck. There is a lot of info out there to sift through.

I was having the same dilemma as yourself and almost pulled the trigger on a ATGold but went with the Goldbug ll. actually I have 3 detectors , a Etrac, 705 Exterra and the Goldbug, the Goldbug is my go to machine for prospecting because of its frequency.

Hello All,
I started looking into metal detectors a few weeks ago, too see if this can help, as lot the terrain is very inhospitable , and hard to access, easiest way i have found is forging our way up a stream bed, as easier believe it or not than the woods. So this lead me to look at the Garrett AT GOLD , which seem to have some nice features.. And waterproof. and like the lcd display , seemed by some the videos; the bomb of detectors.. but wow to my surprise. Now Here's were noob part comes in, i was reading books bought with my gold pans from the Garret co founders, panning buddies; so plugs for equipment came from there. So the first place i looked was the Garrett site; at there detectors. It wasn't till i went to shopping, i realized of course, competition; There lots of other detectors. And then i start looking at specs and buzz words and reviews and wow .. boom my heads a spinning with information perhaps too much information now.
Sno

Sno!

Good your doing research! The Garrett AT GOLD sounds from what you described perfect for you.

If you budget allows the Garrett ATX Metal Detector is a more sensitive and deeper detector for gold. It is VERY impressive in our tests.

Holler at us with questions. Love to break them down for you, Bart.

It funny you say ATX is very impressive on our tests.. As i was leaning heavily this way .. towards the ATX with the deepseeker kit.. I stumbled across some fourms in austrialia saying they were having trouble getting good results in the field. which made me hesitate as made me start to look and poke around i havent seen many bad reviews.... just concerns As being mostly new and wondering in shield country if i will be able to do what it, or hope , i dont expect big nuggets round here just due to most geological things i have read say most gold here is deep under ground with a little bit flour gold and tiny nuggets in streams and such.. what i am going for.. But in reading all the fourms i also want to go to some abandoned sites and see what i can find so was worried maybe atx wouldnt do that .. or should i possible just look at one with target id;s and possibility of just wrapping it water proof bag for the walk up the stream .. and then i was thinking gold bug pro , seems a nice vlf machine. But people have told me the pulse will do better in the rocks.
I think i should just buy one and worry about the fall out later... But thank you guys for all the good help --- Sno

Well made the plunge order a gild bug pro will just wrap detector for walk in and detect on juicy spots thanks all for advice will post follow up in couple weeks after I get it an play for a bit
Sno

Get

The ATgold, light and water proof, good for fresh water streams, hands up, a ATX was in my hands on a CT trip, it weighs a ton, wrong choice , also you will not need a pi machine, the ATGOLD is the choice for what you want to do, Earl

Back
Top Bottom