Need detector to replace DFX (reasonably $$)

NoIronMan

Discovered today that my little used DFX has a depth problem. (Would only detect a quarter @ 5-6" (bench air test).) and a dime @ 4".
Last time I checked it would do at least 9".
Now I need 2 detectors. One for me that performs as well as the DFX ( used to): Programmable for beach environments, inland in moderate to low mineralized soils, I and has better than average depth. Like 10" min. on a quarter.
Needs to have visual display with common settings like discrimination, sensitivity, tone i.d., all metal and non-motion pinpoint, etc. $600 max.

Since my post yesterday, I've pretty much decided on either a Fisher F2 or the Garrett Ace 350, since both of them are light, good performing machines with a fairly easy learning curve.
I have to have both by Friday May 1, before leaving for our MDing beach trip.

Discovered today that my little used DFX has a depth problem. (Would only detect a quarter @ 5-6" (bench air test).) and a dime @ 4".
Last time I checked it would do at least 9".
Now I need 2 detectors. One for me that performs as well as the DFX ( used to): Programmable for beach environments, inland in moderate to low mineralized soils, I and has better than average depth. Like 10" min. on a quarter.
Needs to have visual display with common settings like discrimination, sensitivity, tone i.d., all metal and non-motion pinpoint, etc. $600 max.

Since my post yesterday, I've pretty much decided on either a Fisher F2 or the Garrett Ace 350, since both of them are light, good performing machines with a fairly easy learning curve.
I have to have both by Friday May 1, before leaving for our MDing beach trip.

Possibly an MXT? But for beach hunting you will want a multi-freq machine. I'd suggest a used VX3 since it's a DFX on steroids and then some, with a color HD display, and plenty of user adjustability, though even used they're more than $600. I use a V3i and air test quarters at 14in with stock coil, I could probably get another two or three inches if I maxed out the sens and was in a lower EMI environment. I've seen videos online of guys getting 17" on quarters with their settings. You might want to look into a used CZ7a pro, CZ70, or Minelab Explorer II.

You could send the DFX back for repair. White's have a maximum fee for repair (used to be $150), and that would be considerably cheaper than buying another detector. Course, having 2 detectors is nice, too! Curt

I don't think that for me White's is a solution. I didn't tell u about the new Coinmaster GT I bought last year. Out of the box it had a bad HP jack and a busted coil. They repaired those things for free of course but the VDI display, discrimination and tone I.d. are all erratic. All the techs say to just reduce the sensitivity, but then when it stabilizes you have practically no depth. It's a great looking detector, but you can't hunt with it.

Hey there. Try getting your DFX tuned now or later. As for adding another detector, my vote is for a new AT-Pro or a used Explorer SE. Best of luck to you with whatever you choose. HH. Matt

Youre not gunna get a min of 10" on a f2 or ace 350 thats a pretty significant down grade from a dfx .. The best machine in the $500-$600 price range is an atpro Imo

I would get the DFX fixed !!! If you want to get a cheaper detector as a backup I understand but the DFX is a better detector than anything you can get in your price range IMHO. If you want to get into the $800 - $1000 range that might not be true.

I'd say your DFX is not broke but the settings need adjusted, a friend has one and there is a ton of settings to change around, AC gain, DC gain and all kinds of stuff, go to Whites Forum for help with your settings, that machine will get deep if setup right
http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/forumdisplay.php?60-DFX

That could be the case, try some adjustments like surf said, especially Ac Sens, and Pre Amp which are the main depth settings. Also check your disc settings. I could even be a coil issue, which could be solved with a new (cheap) 9.5 coil.

Wouldn't recommend an ace 350 for a salt beach. May work for you? Didn't for me:no: I own a lot of high end machines for the beach. Only two I own two of are the DFX and sovereign gt. Own a CTX too. Some days it's the DFX's turn to earn its keep. I may get rid of most my detectors since it appears our parks have people who decided to take it into their own hands not to allow detecting. DFX is still one of the best beach machines ever made. I'll be keeping my DFX's:D

SurfChunker and CoiltoSoil, you both were right. Unbelievably the ring I was using for testing had an alloy content that was discriminating out over the 14k gold in the std. C/J factory setting anyway. The local dealer proved this when he used his wedding band nearly identical to mine hitting it at 9-10".
Everything is good now! Thanks!

SurfChunker and CoiltoSoil, you both were right. Unbelievably the ring I was using for testing had an alloy content that was discriminating out over the 14k gold in the std. C/J factory setting anyway. The local dealer proved this when he used his wedding band nearly identical to mine hitting it at 9-10".
Everything is good now! Thanks!

Good to hear, I normally run open disc and use my ears, and the screen to decide what to dig, especially when looking for gold and relics. You might want to lower the disc level in the C/J program knowing that it can miss some gold alloys now. With the money you saved you can get a Super 12 coil for it now. :D

I would get the DFX fixed !!! If you want to get a cheaper detector as a backup I understand but the DFX is a better detector than anything you can get in your price range IMHO. If you want to get into the $800 - $1000 range that might not be true.

+1

The DFX is hard to beat unless your willing to spend some $$$. Have you tried a hard reset? Turn the DFX on and once it is booted up pull the battery out while it is on. Should reset it back to factory.

Yes, a hard reset was done but no improvement seen. Like Graybeard said, I guess you could consider it operator error, but how many of us would have realized that not every thing with gold is not gold according to the DFX? One of the senior White's Forum members said it was caused by being stored for a few months without a battery installed? Really? Come on. The owners manual states to remove the battery before storing for long periods.
Whatever, it's working now!

Back
Top Bottom