Suggestions for detector under $350.

Renee

I am looking to get a new detector. As I mentioned in an intro post on this site, I am not really new to metal detecting as I had done it in the past (1980s). But I am not up to date on all the recent models, what they can do, and how they may differ from the older (1980s) models. I want to mostly search for coins and jewelry in areas such as yards, fields, parks, and an occasional outing to fresh water beaches. As the title of this post says, I am looking for something under/around 350. I am considering the Garrett Ace 250 or 350. They seem almost identical to me except for frequency. How much of a difference does that make? I was even considering maybe a Fischer F5, although that is slightly higher in cost. I would love to hear what peoples experiences with these detectors is like. Or if anyone has suggestions of other detectors I should take a look at.
Thanks for taking the time to read/answer this post. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! :-)

Plenty have found much with the Ace's, a couple very popular models are the F2 which you can get with multiple coil packages at a great value price, and the newest and most advanced detector on the market at it's price point the Euro Tek Pro.
Both of those have VDI numbers on the screen, not just icons.
Very helpful information when you learn what they are trying to tell you.

The Pro has some surprisingly advanced features and abilities for it's price that no others have in this range, and seems to be very productive for newbies and veterans alike.
I have used the F2 for the last few years, learned it well and found a ton using different coils.
These $200 range units will still leave you room for the purchase of an upper end hand held pinpointer.
Not every hunter uses these but a vast amount do, and for most they have become indispensable as a tool to greatly increase speeds on recoveries.

There are many other detectors in your price range, for instance the Tesoros are used by many but most have no screen so you need to learn to hunt using sound only which for me is very fun and productive but in a different way than when I hunt with screen units.

Just about everything in the $200 range and up is more advanced than those 80's era detectors, many even below that popular starting price range, but some of those older detectors still are used and have their place even in our more technical world in certain situations.
I always own and sometimes use a Compass Judge 2 so I have a clue about that, also.

I have an Ace 350 for sale. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and used it about 5 times before I upgraded to an AT Pro. I paid 300 for it. I'm asking $275. It's a great machine and I found quite a bit with it. I just really wanted the ATP and got a good deal on it so I bought it. There is nothing wrong with the 350 I still have the box it came in. As well as the headphones and a dust/rain cover.
6yrupuqu.jpg
7uqaraga.jpg

Chris W.

I'd jump on that Ace 350 if I were you. I love my 250 but the AT pro is highly recommended. The 250/350 will give good depth and I think have a good resale value if you decide you want to move up.

You should be able to get a Fisher F2 with two coils and headphones for about $200 from a forum sponsor. With the remaining $150 you can get a Lesche digging tool and a Garrett Propointer. That would be a bulletproof starter kit that will carry you as far as you want to go.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center (MCC)

The Teknetics EuroTek Pro is a very good detector and is very reasonably priced. They have been a popular seller for me, I also used one myself most of last summer and really enjoyed it. They are light as a feather, get good depth, accurate meter, easy to use, and have a 5 year warranty. If you would like a price on any of the Teknetics or Tesoro detectors give me a shout.

I have an Ace 350 for sale. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and used it about 5 times before I upgraded to an AT Pro. I paid 300 for it. I'm asking $275. It's a great machine and I found quite a bit with it. I just really wanted the ATP and got a good deal on it so I bought it. There is nothing wrong with the 350 I still have the box it came in. As well as the headphones and a dust/rain cover.
6yrupuqu.jpg
7uqaraga.jpg

Chris W.
See Chris, it paid to listen to Mother when she said make sure that you always put on clean underwear and socks, couldn't help but notice your bright white socks with no holes in them :p;):lol:. Sorry buddy couldn't resisit.

See Chris, it paid to listen to Mother when she said make sure that you always put on clean underwear and socks, couldn't help but notice your bright white socks with no holes in them :p;):lol:. Sorry buddy couldn't resisit.

Lol I noticed that too after I posted it. At least I had socks on instead of showing my ugly toes!!! Haha

Chris W.

Tesoro compadre with the bigger coil and a whites TRX Pin pointer and you will have an amazing combination! and you'll be right around $300! I'll take a compadre over any ace, or an F2. I've never used a Europro, but I would pick the compadre over the Delta 4000 I have.

Don't let the simplicity and lack of screen stop you from considering it. It discriminates well and is hot and goes deep for the money!

Tesoro compadre with the bigger coil and a whites TRX Pin pointer and you will have an amazing combination! and you'll be right around $300! I'll take a compadre over any ace, or an F2. I've never used a Europro, but I would pick the compadre over the Delta 4000 I have.

Don't let the simplicity and lack of screen stop you from considering it. It discriminates well and is hot and goes deep for the money!

Those Tesoro Compadres are super popular for good reason; they work extremely well. The new one with the 8 inch coil should be what doctor ordered.

beephead

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Chris, I am not ready to buy just yet. I really want to do a lot more research before I jump on anything. But thank you so much for the offer.

I live in Northern AL and the ground here is pretty hard and mineralized. Which of the detectors mentioned, or any other, would do better in such a situation?

If you have 'hot soil ' I would look used for a machine that has manual ground balance instead of fixed, jmo though. If you can find 1 a Fisher F4 has manual ground balance which is the same thing as the F2 but with a few more added features. Good luck /Happy Hunting.

Hey Renee, I'll be in Ft. Payne this week swinging my Ace 250 at my families 1895 homestead. I'll let you know how it does in that soil.

Hey Renee, I'll be in Ft. Payne this week swinging my Ace 250 at my families 1895 homestead. I'll let you know how it does in that soil.

I just recently did some detecting on Sand Mountain. That soil is much harder to detect in than the mild soil around here in West Tenn. A detector with a ground balance is probably the best choice.

beephead

To Firebird

That is right around the area I am in! Will you be on the mountain or down in the valley? Will be looking forward to hearing what your results are!

To beephead

Yea, the mountains in the area seem to be high in minerals that is why I am curious on how some of the detectors work in such conditions.

Thanks to everyone!

A big thanks to all for all the help and great suggestions!

That is right around the area I am in! Will you be on the mountain or down in the valley? Will be looking forward to hearing what your results are!

On the mountain. Lickskillet area. Near Dogtown.

I know of that area!

Always loved the name of that town too....Lickskillet. :-) Happy hunting there! Will look forward to hearing how your hunt goes.

Back
Top Bottom