F2 and bleed-through iron signals...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
This one is for the little more advanced users and a good example on using all the clues and your instincts no matter what the screens and tones are telling you.

Why I bent down to dig this thing is hard to explain because it was more about a "feeling" than anything else but I will try.

This signal was a false one when I ran over it, I got one false tone that was pretty solid and a 79 on the screen at first pass which fooled me but more passes over it the signal went away so I knew it was false.
I turned and hit this thing from another angle and nothing was there so I knew there was no real high tone target here but I turned back and tried to find it again.
I usually would forget this and move on but that first tone did seem to have something a little more solid in it then I usually hear on the many others I usually come across hunting on max sense in my sites with lots of iron.
When I turned back I got many more false tones that repeated almost in the same place and I could tell this was a small iron object because of the way I moved my coil over it and got those false tones in that small area.
The false tones only happened when the edge of my coil was over the target, not the center of the coil.
I notched iron back in and got a solid 08 so I knew this was definitely iron and using the pinpoint button to find the exact location I realized it wasn't really big just as I suspected.
The false tones I heard were accompanied by false numbers but instead of being in the 80's, 90's or higher like most large iron these were still in the high 70's...also something very unusual for most iron I come across out there.

I instantly processed all this information and I got real curious so I dug it and came up with this nice pocket knife with an unusual metal jacket instead of the plastic sides that I find on most of the knives I dig up.

It was 08 iron and solid when I air tested it.

Regular size iron nails and other small iron targets won't false like this so I knew this was larger than those but still not a huge chunk of metal.

This was all about instinct and about hearing something even in that false tone and those weird numbers and the strange small size on a falsing piece of iron that triggered my impulse to dig.

Watch the video, this all happens pretty fast but all of this stuff was going through my mind when I picked up and then examined this signal a little more closely.
It wasn't just one thing it was all these things that added together that made me curious.

Sometimes instinct means more than anything you hear or see on the screen.

I am getting a little better with the editing stuff, not quite great yet but getting closer.

You can change to 1080p HD or go to youtube and full screen to see a little bit more of what is happening on my screen when I rolled over this thing.

Attachments

• metal pocket knife.jpg
    metal pocket knife.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 277
I have been breaking in a F2 the last few days and I am seeing this too. First few times I thought maybe a dime or quarter next to a nail, dug where the high tone was to find iron target in sidewall of hole. (used to running compadre, so I usually pinpoint without the pinpoint function). Now when I run into this multi tone target, or seeming good next to bad the pinpoint function quickly reveals the truth by centering the coil over the actual target. ( And I'm impressed the F2 calls big rusty iron for what it is once centered most of the time). Bought this machine based on your posts and this thing is one hot unit! I still need to put tons more time in with this thing to hear everything it has to say. Many thanks to Digger27 for his time spent and sharing the lessons learned.

I have been breaking in a F2 the last few days and I am seeing this too. First few times I thought maybe a dime or quarter next to a nail, dug where the high tone was to find iron target in sidewall of hole. (used to running compadre, so I usually pinpoint without the pinpoint function). Now when I run into this multi tone target, or seeming good next to bad the pinpoint function quickly reveals the truth by centering the coil over the actual target. ( And I'm impressed the F2 calls big rusty iron for what it is once centered most of the time). Bought this machine based on your posts and this thing is one hot unit! I still need to put tons more time in with this thing to hear everything it has to say. Many, many thanks to Digger27 for his wisdom as following his tips has net me good results.

Thanks...but I don't post all this stuff so you can get good results.
The object is to give you some insight so you can get GREAT results!

Now keep practicing and go out and find that target that rocks you back on your heels and takes your breath away for a moment.
They are out there, and there is nothing better in this hobby than the feeling you get when you roll across one of those...and you will.

I think you're right, not precious metal (if there is no hallmark I can't tell) but I was suprised by the depth especially given it was less than a foot away from a steel support post and I'm running the 8 inch coil. Funny thing though the F2 turned off by itself several times during the hunt this morning. I swapped the batteries around and it still did it. Pulled the batteries when I got home and checked the voltage 8.08 volts a piece. Battery scale showed full and flickering one of the bars on beeps. Hunted for two hours strait with it this afternoon and could not duplicate the problem since having the batteries out to check voltage. Maybe having the batteries out for a longer period reset it? This ever happen to you?

I think you're right, not precious metal (if there is no hallmark I can't tell) but I was suprised by the depth especially given it was less than a foot away from a steel support post and I'm running the 8 inch coil. Funny thing though the F2 turned off by itself several times during the hunt this morning. I swapped the batteries around and it still did it. Pulled the batteries when I got home and checked the voltage 8.08 volts a piece. Battery scale showed full and flickering one of the bars on beeps. Hunted for two hours strait with it this afternoon and could not duplicate the problem since having the batteries out to check voltage. Maybe having the batteries out for a longer period reset it? This ever happen to you?

Not me, but others have.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=149722

That was happening to me too, figured out that when I bent down to dig a signal my shovel that was hanging on my belt was hitting the power button on the F2. That thing turns off easily, I put the shovel on the opposite side and it fixed the problem :)

I even wonder if the emi was doing it, as there was a part of the place I was hunting that was really strong as I had back the sensitivity down to 3 bars and was having to double swing everything to tell targets from emi falses. The closer I got to source of emi, the less time it would go before shutting itself off. When I finally gave up on the site it was running about 30 seconds at a time. I left it on all evening and would go swing around the back yard every hour or so and it never missed a beat. Going to hunt in the morning and see what it does.

Back
Top Bottom