CTX sensitivity

MarcS

Hi all!
i just have a quick question regarding the sensitivity on the CTX.
I was out the other day hit a signal at about 5", the numbers were all over the place, i heard iron grunt, but i also heard some nickel tones (set to higher tone on my program), and the signal was somewhat repeatable in both directions, including the grunts. I decided to dig it and was lucky enough to pull out a V-Nickel. However, there was no other iron or junk in the hole, and as i swept over the plug after i closed it, there was no more iron grunt either. Why did a 5" Nickel sound so badly? Why did i hear iron, when there was no iron left after i retrieved the Nickel? i had my sensitivity set to manual around 22.
On a different situation, sensitivity was set to +3, heard a very very faint signal, switched over to manual (around 23) and the signal was loud, but also very bouncy. Dug it up, and got a buffalo at 6". I'm a little stumped that +3 barely barely hit it..
What are your experiences with sensitivity? My nickels, if they are 4" or deeper, are all over the place number wise, the tone makes me dig them though, even though it usually sounds pretty crappy as well.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Marc

What's your auto+3 run at?

Minelabs FBS depth is greatly affected by sensitivity level, much more so than other machines. Anything under 19 sensitivity will have your machine really struggle with 5-6inch targets, especially a Nickle because it's lower on the conductive scale. I have sites where I cannot get above 18 in auto+3 and leave the CTX home and use my Teknetics T2.

Some detectors like the Fishers/Teknetics don't seem to have nearly as much depth loss with lower sensitivity levels.

What's your auto+3 run at?

Minelabs FBS depth is greatly affected by sensitivity level, much more so than other machines. Anything under 19 sensitivity will have your machine really struggle with 5-6inch targets, especially a Nickle because it's lower on the conductive scale. I have sites where I cannot get above 18 in auto+3 and leave the CTX home and use my Teknetics T2.

Some detectors like the Fishers/Teknetics don't seem to have nearly as much depth loss with lower sensitivity levels.

On that particular site, +3 is around 15 if I remember. That's why I switch it to manual. Could the mineralization be the reason why nickels almost always sound like craap when they are +5 in deep? Combined with their low conductivity, I guess it's making sense. Thanks man, that was very helpful!

Marc

Auto sens at 15 is really low. Your CTX will really struggle on any coin at 5-6 inches deep that with that low of a setting. It's as if your machine is running at 50% of its potential. You likely have a site with badly mineralized ground.

I run my CTX on Auto +3 and all of my V-Nickels bounce around and kind of give a gurgle sound. I have found it does the same thing with deep clad nickels. I am hunting a site with a number of V-Nickels and have learned to identify the gurgle sound and have dug several. My sensitivity on the site is running between 17 and 18. Maybe I need to go 22 manual and see if it is any better. By the way, I have had the same experience on my Etrac on nickels... a very sloppy gurgle sound. Thanks for posting... I was wondering if others were having a similar experience.

I am a firm believer of auto +2 or +3. Every soil condition and hunting situation is different. Even at sensitivity of 15 I have pulled many a coin an 7-8-9 inches with proper ID on the Minelab CTX 3030. A stable machine is how I prefer to hunt. Running sensitivity to the ragged edge in my situations doesn't not improve depth much at all. As I said... My situations. Everyone and every place is different.

Your setting have a TON to do with how the audio and Visual ID work. I highly recommend Gone Huntings settings.

Back
Top Bottom