Shot down, left on good terms

Dougmeister

Elite Member
Finally got up the nerve to ask about a house nearby that was built around 1730. I knew his brother so was hoping for some brownie points.

*Really* nice guy, but he wants to save the "treasure hunting experience" for his grandkids who are almost old enough to appreciate it.

I smiled, gave him my number, and told him I'd be glad to help anytime (since my AT Pro is probably better than what he's swingin'! :-! ;))

Oh well. Keep on keepin' on...

You gave it a try. Congrats on that !

Had a similar experience with someone who "wanted to purchase a machine" and hunt it themselves. Bet they never did.

Good try. WTG leaving on good terms. Never burn your bridges, right? GL and HH. Matt
Finally got up the nerve to ask about a house nearby that was built around 1730. I knew his brother so was hoping for some brownie points.

*Really* nice guy, but he wants to save the "treasure hunting experience" for his grandkids who are almost old enough to appreciate it.

I smiled, gave him my number, and told him I'd be glad to help anytime (since my AT Pro is probably better than what he's swingin'! :-! ;))

Oh well. Keep on keepin' on...

I had a similar experience with an 1880 home near me. The lady said she was going to borrow her mom's detector and do it herself. I know she'll never do it, and if she does, it's probably a $50 detector and she won't do it right and find nothing.

She was really friendly though, and I offered to help anytime.

That's the way it goes sometimes unfortunately. But yeah good you didn't burn any bridges. I have a few cw sites pretty near here. One place was an encampment. There's acres and acres of farmland there. In years past when the owners plowed the fields they found all kinds of cw relics, even cannon balls. The elderly lady that owned it all passed away and she would have let me hunt it but the heirs now won't let anybody. They do not live nearby but I wouldn't trespass on their property anyway. Just kind of kills me knowing lots of stuff is there but they won't let anyone hunt. I do have a good lead on another campsite about 3-4 miles further up the road though that sounds really promising too. The owners are loaning me a diary book to read about their place that was written by a lady who lived there during the CW. She talks about the soldiers being camped on the creek behind their home and about them killing some livestock and stealing grain. I am anxious to get the book for sure. I am pretty certain I will get permission for this one. Keep your fingers crossed for me and good luck on getting permission in the future.

Back
Top Bottom