Hunting The Hood

Captin Scrap

Elite Member
ok, I tried to look up via search on advise on hunting some not so good neighborhoods, and I could not find any.

One can make an argument that there is a good chance that hunting the hood might be rewarding.

I don't think that there are allot of us going into these areas.

In NJ, you just can't pack a weapon in an urban area. Besides hunting with someone, what else do you guys recommend?

My hunting buddy would never go into the hood. He just won't. Too me, I was raised in NYC, "Da Bronx" to be exact, and I am not afraid of confrontation with anyone, but as I get older, I have become more conservative in my ways.

Besides packing, what else would you all bring? Mace ?

What I would pack...

Common sense...

Nothing dug up is worth getting jacked up...

ok, I tried to look up via search on advise on hunting some not so good neighborhoods, and I could not find any.

One can make an argument that there is a good chance that hunting the hood might be rewarding.

I don't think that there are allot of us going into these areas.

In NJ, you just can't pack a weapon in an urban area. Besides hunting with someone, what else do you guys recommend?

My hunting buddy would never go into the hood. He just won't. Too me, I was raised in NYC, "Da Bronx" to be exact, and I am not afraid of confrontation with anyone, but as I get older, I have become more conservative in my ways.

Besides packing, what else would you all bring? Mace ?

I just changed my list to include mace!
Got run off by 2 pitbulls, almost bitten before the owner got them out of the street.
Dropped my Lesch and freaked out:mad:

go very early in the morning and be aware of your surroundings........oh and stay outa Camdem :lol:

I think I've read where someone mentioned that it helps to wear a flourescent utility vest and carry a clip board. I believe it could go either way on that though, you wouldn't want someone thinking you're turning their water or power off. wainwright

I've been hunting a "hood" park for the last week. Look up some of my posts if you wanna see my finds. Tons and tons of clad, mostly from homeless people sleeping. Quite a bit of jewelry as well.

I was raised on the street, so I'm pretty comfortable around "shady" people. Had a gang banger come up to me this week and asks me some questions about my metal detector. I had my fiskars in my hand so I was pretty sure he wasn't going to try anything stupid. He asks how my detector works and if I can tell if some if the stuff he has is real. So I stood there for a good 5 minutes testing various (and probably stolen) jewelry he kept pulling out of his pockets. His "gold" chain was obviously fake but I told him I wasn't sure.

He was pretty cool, thanked me for my time and moved on. Def keep an eye on your surroundings. I look both sides and glance over my shoulder every time I kneel down to make sure no one can come up behind me and tackle me, that's my biggest fear, being pinned. As long as I'm not pinned under a guy twice my size I'll throw down dirty and fight for my life if it comes to it. First area I'm going for is his throat.

First rule of the hood. Mind your business and keep to yourself. If you can do that you should avoid problems.

Be safe and HH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there done it..

Put some duct tape on parts of your MD to make it look like a POS...

When they ask, and they will for sure, how much it costs, tell them you bought it at a garage sale for $30 and all it seems to work on is pennies and #@^&# bottle caps :mad:

Be social when approached, wear a gray or tan shirt, NOT a red or blue one for sure. Look like you belong there and feel comfortable.

I also carry a sampson shovel on my hip, I don't care what anyone thinks about that.

<*)))>{

Those 'bad' areas, aren't really that bad most of the time. Violence breaks out sort of randomly, and extreme. Most of the people living there have better sense, than to rob and steal close to home. Usually, the only ones in those neighborhoods, who have anything worth stealing, are drug deals, product or proceeds... Really not as bad as on TV, just people trying to get by. It's the visitors, from nearby 'bad' neighborhoods, who cause most of the trouble. You also have a lot of people, family, some of which have some delinquent issues with the courts and police. Most people there don't want to attract a lot of attention, they don't want to be the one who got an uncle or cousin pinched, over a few bucks.

Thanks all, being from NYC myself, I am familiar with the criminal element and their MO's. (Modus operandi). Nor do I fear them, but I am getting older now, and I can't defend myself like I used too.

I will not hunt in Camden unless it's a group hunt and there must a darn good reason for it.

Thanks all, being from NYC myself, I am familiar with the criminal element and their MO's. (Modus operandi). Nor do I fear them, but I am getting older now, and I can't defend myself like I used too.

I will not hunt in Camden unless it's a group hunt and there must a darn good reason for it.

I think you will be fine if you wear your sumo outfit from your avatar.

I also carry a sampson shovel on my hip, I don't care what anyone thinks about that.

<*)))>{

I recently purchased a sampson. It certainly could do double duty as a weapon. Thing is heavy and solid. I keep my Lesche in my left hand at all times, not sheathed, and I think that is what saved me as a woman hunting alone recently as a guy approached me and demanded my treasure pouch. I held my Lesche up and talked myself out of situation. I have been harassed several times while hunting and able to get out of the situation unscathed. If anyone ever seriously bothers me they will get a shovel to the head and/or a coil to the head just sayin.

go very early in the morning and be aware of your surroundings........oh and stay outa Camdem :lol:

yeah they don't wake up til like 3pm anyway. :)

I've hunted the ghetto.....when I first started out. Now when I have to go back to said ghetto to visit a coin dealer I work with frequently, I see all these awesome potential spots...buildings/parks/schools from the 1800's just surrounded by drug dealers and unemployed ghetto trash. As much as i'm curious, it's just not worth it. LOL @ hunting Camden.

When you get a minute, google "Camden prom police" and tell me that's an area you want to visit. LOL

Friends that have hunted the hood say the totlots are filled with coins because no one ever hunts there. They tend to deal only in cash thus they and their kids carry more coins than most folks today who are switching to debit cards. If you notice a lot of hoodrats also wear more gold jewelry than other folks.

Back
Top Bottom