• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

UPDATED: 20+ homes from early 1940's now vacant lot

602punch

I am STOKED!! Living here in a major metropolitan city it's tough to find good hunting spots. This is my first researched, mapped planned hunt and I am very excited. I found several aerial maps of my neighborhood starting in 1930 all the way to 1969. At one point there was a whole neighborhood at this location. It is ginormous, not sure how long this is going to take me.

e3unupy2.jpg

UPDATED:

Here is what the map looks like after today's 2 hour hunt.

kRoz3fR.jpg

The black box is what I planned on hunting when I got to the location, but low and behold a soccer match was in progress. So I looked at the maps again on my iphone and decided to take a different approach to stay away from everyone on the field. The pink box is where I envisioned the road continuing since it clearly does on the original image from the 40's-50's. I started at the tree in the middle where the black boxes double up and I headed down, within the first 10 minutes and about 5 yards I hit several pieces of jewelry. The gold plated earring, the shell pin, the old broach and the 25 year Bell Systems pin were all within a couple swings. I would of taken a picture, but if you can imagine a scene out of Charlie and the Chocolate factory I was literally just jumping from one to the next like an excited little kid. I actually dropped everything and called my wife. All surface finds.

Sadly that was it for the jewelry, all the coins were found after that, $2.10 worth, not sure what a good majority of them are yet but wanted to update here.

Also, I took a couple pictures of the surroundings and it looks like the entire place is sunk about a good 8-10 feet down from the rest of the area. That makes me pretty sad in finding anything original from any of the home sites. But, on the other hand, I found a nice little park right next to my house that seems to have plentiful jewelry and an abundance of soccer matches :)

That was my 2 hours today, ill be back to this site just about an hour everyday for the next week covering more ground.

qajutyry.jpg

ysyha2u4.jpg

sazaganu.jpg

Looks good. But just a question to ease my curiosity, why did they demo all those houses? Storm damage or something?

Looks good. But just a question to ease my curiosity, why did they demo all those houses? Storm damage or something?

No clue. Indian burial land and poltergeists?? Nah j/k. A major freeway passes nearby, possibly demoed for that and then realized it wasn't actually needed to be torn down? My best guess.

So if you know a place like this with more than likely bunches of mixed trash and hopefully goodies. What's your strategies? I would think grid off a area 10x10 to 20x 20 feet and small coil with low to moderat sensitivity and raise it after each direction until maximum sensitivity without falsing. Then go bigger on the coil and proceed like first coil. ??

Looks like a sweet place good luck.

that's about the newest ages of houses I'd hunt cause that will only give you about 20 years for silver to have been dropped .... expect lots of scrap and a lot of fill also ... think I'd do the drunken search method first, just bouncing around here and there and figure out where it's super junky and where I found goody's and not too trashy and hit those area's gridded out first ... pay attention the bigger tree's ... do they look like there has been fill put there ... no roots showing but just a straight trunk coming out of the ground .... or lots of roots meaning no fill ... no AC back then so people liked shade trees

Back
Top Bottom