sad sad day for are hobby

ETdigger

Treasure hunters have damaged pristine ruts of the Oregon Trail near Burley, according to the Idaho Bureau of Land Management Burley Field Office.

Apparently using metal detectors and shovels, the individuals located and removed hundreds of items from a few miles of trail, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The damaged ruts are part of a westward migration corridor used by pioneers during the 1800s. "This was a significant event in American history, and we are asking anyone with information about the recent damage to contact us," said BLM Burley Field Office Archaeologist Suzann Henrikson.

“It is important that the public understand that shows like 'Diggers' on Spike TV and 'American Diggers' on the National Geographic Channel do not always convey important information regarding the laws associated with damaging archaeological sites or removing artifacts from public land,” said to Henrikson in a press release. “Although owning a metal detector is not illegal, be aware that using this device on lands under federal management may result in a crime. If you sink a shovel in an archaeological site on public land, you could be convicted of a felony.” She said the collection of arrowheads is not considered a felony. However, under federal law, it is theft of government property punishable as a misdemeanor.

The ruts, located on public land managed by the BLM Burley Field Office, are protected under the Archaeological Resource Protection Act (ARPA) passed by Congress in 1979 in an effort to curtail destruction of our nation’s heritage from illegal excavation, damage and theft of cultural resources on federal lands.

Anyone convicted of violating ARPA may be subject up to a $20,000 fine and receive one year in prison. Second time offenders may be fined $100,000 and receive up to five years in prison. ARPA also prohibits selling, purchasing and trafficking artifacts removed from public land. "It is the BLM’s responsibility to protect and preserve any sections of the Oregon National Historic Trail under its jurisdiction," said Henrikson. "The recent damage to the trail near Burley has resulted in a significant loss of history for the American public."

Anyone with information regarding the recent damage to the Oregon Trail ruts near Burley should contact BLM Special Agent Linden Schlenker at (208) 524-7590.

Plain and simple things like this are just going to ruin our hobby !! In reading another post today I also noticed a guy was yelled at because ONCE AGAIN he had a SHOVEL IN HAND....no matter how big or small when people see a shovel you are asking for nothing but trouble....I have a small Lesche digging tool that I have on my belt and I keep my tshirt over the top of it so its not even visible. People must use a little common sense....I go out at sun up and usually leave a park at around 10am latest or when people start showing up so as not to cause any problems or even let somebody see me digging a plug no matter how neat I am. Also, people should know to STAY OFF OF AND AWAY from state and or federal land !! Thats a no brainer....

Last time I watched American Diggers and Dig Wars they both posted a statement about following the law and getting permission. Kinda like blaming everyone with a car because one was speeding.

Although I want to protect historic sites, I don't have much love for the government either. It hoards vast stretches of valuable land and resources, only to raise taxes anyway.

Last edited:
Last time I watched American Diggers and Dig Wars they both posted a statement about following the law and getting permission. Kinda like blaming everyone with a car because one was speeding.

Although I want to protect historic sites, I don't have much love for the government either. It hoards vast stretches of valuable land and resources, only to raise taxes anyway.

agree 100% with this Statement Maybe there should be some more investigation before the Blame is put towards a person Metal detecting was there an eye witness ! this is why everyone wants to give this hobby a black eye JMHO

Out here in Idaho we like are vast stretches of public land. I don't have to pay any one to hunt on it. And that's with a gun. Now back to what happen is theirs allot of newbies out there that get a dime store detector from some mom and pop wholesale detector shop without a bit of training on what you can do and what you should not do. Then throw in some of the most stupidest TV shows that are so @##$%$# staged, that its sicking. And you have recipe for disaster. I hope they find these people and hang them.

Might just be the economy, people just see some free money potentially hidden underground. Protected land, just means easier pickings for some. Last year, it was civil war battle sites, think before the TV shows. This story is really unfortunate for our hobby, but there are many different way people are finding free money, which could land them in trouble. We have a real problem with scrap metal hunters locally.

Really don't think our economy is any better than 6 years ago, the problems have just been shifted around, different groups feeling the pinch. A lot of people doing better, but still way behind. Companies are hiring more employees, but cutting back on hours. Got a hunch the Affordable Health Care Act, is really going to change employment and income in America.

Personally, I believe that if there are relics, etc. on public land and the government (by any means) has not expressed a desire to recover them, it should be open season for all. I have a feeling the government will sell them anyway, and as wasteful as the government is the money won't benefit me or anyone outside the government.
Perhaps they could do as they do in England. You find something, call a local government representive to see if they are interested. If interested they buy it from you. Something to that effect I believe.
It's a shame that so many relics and whatevers, are left in the ground to decay to dust because the government can't get around to finding them.

saw that coming after seeing that Digger show they said nothing about asking, law's and on an on,and that was only one show

Ther are more than a few thing about this that piss me off but this (in red) really gets me..

She said the collection of arrowheads is not considered a felony. However, under federal law, it is theft of government property punishable as a misdemeanor.

Anyone with information regarding the recent damage to the Oregon Trail ruts near Burley should contact BLM Special Agent Linden Schlenker at (208) 524-7590.

Who sold them the arrowheads that are unknown in the ground, how do they own them? They belong to you and I as much as the government and even more to the native people who's past family lost them.. This whole dang country is stolen property, who are they to judge?

What a bunch of jealous, greedy, selfish thieves, the government that is...

<*)))>{

Last edited:
HUH? Arrowheads?

Ther are more than a few thing about this that piss me off but this (in red) really gets me..

Who sold them the arrowheads that are unknown in the ground, how do they own them? They belong to you and I as much as the government and even more to the native people who's past family lost them.. This whole dang country is stolen property, who are they to judge?

What a bunch of jealous, greedy, selfish thieves, the government that is...

<*)))>{

What setting do I use to find ARROWHEADS with my METAL detector?? :?:

Hey, around here they can be metal...

I wonder if it is about arrowheads? That would be funny there!

I just picked the arrowheads out because I don't know how the government could own them :?:

<*)))>{

It happens!

I spend a lot of time in these MD forums reading a lot of posts. These posts about Treasure hunters destroying sites and stripping historic sites of archaeological treasures "If true" are a terrible thing! I don't really think the number of posts informing us of this behavior is rising all that much considering the bad influence these TV shows and such are exerting on so many people nation wide. Notice the name Oregon Trail, It is not the Oregon 1/8th Mile. 99.9% of the Items buried on that trail will never be dug up, most are probably old iron objects that are already nearly disintegrated fully. We have as much chance of stopping Idiots from buying an MD and tearing up sites as we have of stopping archaeologists from denigrating our hobby regardless of what we do! Guess what people, the powers that be have a way of stopping most of this! It involves outlawing detecting almost everywhere! They don't want to fix it! They want to want to prosecute us for it! If we want to protect this hobby we need to get more involved and Fix the problem! That's just my Opinion... GL & HH.....Pat

BLM Investigates Damage To Oregon Trail Ruts

TOOLS
EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

PRINT THIS ARTICLE
By Paul Johnson
Story Created: Aug 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM MDT
Story Updated: Aug 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM MDT
Burley, Idaho ( KMVT-TV / KTWT-TV ) - The Bureau of Land Management say pristine ruts left by wagons traveling the Oregon Trail of yesteryear near Burley have been damaged by people in search of coins and other artifacts. Apparently using metal detectors and shovels, the individuals located and removed hundreds of items from a few miles of trail currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The ruts, located on public land managed by the BLM Burley Field Office, are protected under the Archaeological Resource Protection Act (ARPA). This act was passed by Congress in 1979 in an effort to curtail destruction of our nation’s heritage from illegal excavation, damage and theft of cultural resources on federal lands.

The damaged ruts served as a natural corridor during eight decades in the 1800s as the United States moved from the eastern half of the continent toward the west coast. "This was a significant event in American history, and we are asking anyone with information about the recent damage to contact us," said BLM Burley Field Office Archaeologist Suzann Henrikson.

“It is important that the public understand that shows like 'Diggers' on Spike TV and 'American Diggers' on the National Geographic Channel do not always convey important information regarding the laws associated with damaging archaeological sites or removing artifacts from public land,” according to Henrikson. “Although owning a metal detector is not illegal, be aware that using this device on lands under federal management may result in a crime. If you sink a shovel in an archaeological site on public land, you could be convicted of a felony.” She said the collection of arrowheads is not considered a felony. However, under federal law, it is theft of government property punishable as a misdemeanor.

Anyone convicted of violating ARPA may be subject up to a $20,000 fine and receive one year in prison. Second time offenders may be fined $100,000 and receive up to five years in prison. ARPA also prohibits selling, purchasing and trafficking artifacts removed from public land. "It is the BLM’s responsibility to protect and preserve any sections of the Oregon National Historic Trail under its jurisdiction," said Henrikson. "The recent damage to the trail near Burley has resulted in a significant loss of history for the American public."

If you have questions regarding the laws protecting historic resources and archaeological sites on public land, please contact your local BLM or U.S. Forest Service office and ask to speak to their archaeologist. If anyone has information regarding the recent damage to the Oregon Trail ruts near Burley, please contact BLM Special Agent Linden Schlenker at 208-524-7590.

I do not believe the "digger" shows are helping our hobby at all! But I also have to say that any hobby has it's idiots. Look at hunting or fishing you always hear of cases where people get caught poaching deer and fish. I just hope they do not judge us all because of the action's of a couple bad people.

Personally, I believe that if there are relics, etc. on public land and the government (by any means) has not expressed a desire to recover them, it should be open season for all. I have a feeling the government will sell them anyway, and as wasteful as the government is the money won't benefit me or anyone outside the government.
Perhaps they could do as they do in England. You find something, call a local government representive to see if they are interested. If interested they buy it from you. Something to that effect I believe.
It's a shame that so many relics and whatevers, are left in the ground to decay to dust because the government can't get around to finding them.

I have to agree, there are a lot of places in Texas, well most of Texas, that you cannot recover any Indian artifacts. If you find something, you are not suppose to touch it, or if you uncover it, you put it back in the ground... Which to me is stupid.
They would rather the stuff be left in the ground to rot than be discovered and displayed.

Back
Top Bottom