2 SLQ's
3 Washington Quarters
1 1907 Barber Dime
1 Seated Half Dime
11 Merc's
6 Rosie's
2 B Nickels
14 Weaties..

The coins are pretty beat but would like to return then to silver like condition any sugestions?

Attachments

• shit.JPG
    shit.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 379
  • more silver1.JPG
    more silver1.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 374
  • averall.JPG
    averall.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 365
  • silverm.JPG
    silverm.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 364
  • walking.JPG
    walking.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 363
Silver's beautiful no matter what condition and the Walker is outstanding no matter what condition. Olive oil would have been by suggestion too or maybe a tumbler.

Excellent haul. I'm no expert, but I think you'll need electrolysis for those. I think salt water corrosion won't come off without it.

Nice finds Jcham.. its almost impossible to get the silver to shine again when they come out of the saltwater.. I throw mine in the box that I save for when I turn in silver scrap.. once silver sulfide takes over there is just about nothing you can do... some of mine are so black from the sulfide I can snap them in two pieces.

Nice finds Jcham.. its almost impossible to get the silver to shine again when they come out of the saltwater.. I throw mine in the box that I save for when I turn in silver scrap.. once silver sulfide takes over there is just about nothing you can do... some of mine are so black from the sulfide I can snap them in two pieces.

You scrap then, I scrap everything else but I think your right. I'm going to try later today to get the quarters cleaned up as I was told if I could get a date they may be valuable. Plus that half dime WOW. I think I can save the Barber, the rosies, the reg quarters but the mercs are thin.

I dont know where these coins came from but the beach was loaded with this old stuff. I wish I could have gotten into the water at low tide I'm sure there are hundreds of the same. I hit high tide on the beach with the DFX..

Thanks for the input with the cleaning!!!!!!

nice haul! maybe try the aluminum foil trick? not sure how well it works on saltwater silver but it gets the black off of dug coins.

Go back and hit the beach again before the sand moves back in.

Anything you do to try to clean this old silver is going to result in uneven cleaning aka blotching and is very unattractive. Best leave it the way it is.

We have ruined many silver coins by trying to clean them.

That's an impressive silver haul! It's amazing what salt water does to silver. When it pops out of the ground it's always so nice and shiny.

Is this what a CHEM Bath should look like?

I mixed amon, baking soda and warm water, put the coins on aluminum foil and let them soak? I dont know stuff tuning Blue. I normally dont find old coins cleaning rings is easy. Grind, buff, and shine rings are a breeze but these coins are black....

Attachments

• chem bath.JPG
    chem bath.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 307
Nice spread, I wish I had an old water hole like that near me.....That's unusual that the silver is turning blue.....maybe it has something to do with Amonia. Good luck,
NC

Nice bunch of silver coins for the beach. I would try to get back there again ASAP. :wow:

AYE' Captian there be a coastal strom headen me way. I'd be hiten the coast afteren she blows in. The silver starting to shine but its the Gold I be after come day break:shock:

Did a home made job ultrasonic cleaner with a higher voltage than the recomended 2volts only had a 3.7 output that I could splice. I've tried this method before and never had this type of result. The Rossie I put in was the worst the crust would not come off so I figured no loss if it melted the coin. Well as you can see the coin didnt do to bad now I'll have to get to the rest of them. Water turned black I also added a little baking powder. Sorry guys I'm excited about these coins I never hit old ones. I get one or two per season on land but nothing like this.

Attachments

• electric.JPG
    electric.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 263
  • rossie.JPG
    rossie.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 253
Great finds!
This is something to be excited about.
Now I wish it would rain like that down south.

Great job Jcham... can I send you mine ;) just kidding, mine are gonna stay in my scrap bin :)

Back
Top Bottom