Explorer SE Pro vs F-75 SE

The Wolf

Elite Member
Just picked up an Explorer SE Pro to compare to my F-75 SE. I've heard good things about the Explorer. Anyone have experience with both machines? I love my F-75, but just wanting to try something different. Would love any advice or feedback. I will be using it for relic hunting and in mild/stable ground. Thanks!

F75 is deeper in most cases, but in bad ground the Explorer will be deeper.

F75 will be better on smaller items and low conductors.

Explorer will be better on silver and copper coins.

Explorer is far more stable of a machine, and IDs better.

Wow

LOL, I have had both. I titled this reply Wow because they are so different! I couldn't get rid of the Exp se Pro fast enough, it is as slow as the F75se is fast! For me to go from a Deus and F75 to a EXP was like torture! I didn't really give the Exp much of a chance because of that though. That's just my opinion having had both, I'm sure the Minelab Elitist Cult will voice theirs, they always do!!! LOL,,,, GL & HH......Pat

I didn't really give the Exp much of a chance
Key words.

The Explorer is slow, but it misses little.
I'm not in a race, so how "fast" or "slow" a machine is, is of no consequence to me. Being thorough is.

That said, both machines are fine units in their element. It's really a matter of what sort of hunting you will do and other personal preferences that should shape your decision.

I've owned both the F75 LTD and the Explorer SE Pro. If I had to choose one I'd take the SE. As has been stated both are excellent detectors, just very different. If I was a relic hunter I'd go with the F75 but for deep coins in parks and schools I think the SE has the advantage.

If I was a relic hunter I'd go with the F75 but for deep coins in parks and schools I think the SE has the advantage.

Thanks! Would the Se Pro not have any advantage over the F75 at hunting relics? I'm 100% relic hunter. Finding a coin every now and then is cool, but buttons, bullets, and brass are what I'm after. Do you think the SE Pro would hit deeper than the F75 in normal soil on a button?

Do you think the SE Pro would hit deeper than the F75 in normal soil on a button?

No way... Especially not on a cuff button. The FBS Minelabs are excellent on high conductors, and they are alright at relic hunting, but FBS detectors really need to be scrubbing the ground with their coil to allow the machine to auto ground balance and set sensitivity levels. In the woods it's difficult to keep your coil on the ground without getting it hung up on everything and the Fisher/Teknetics don't seem to have any issue with the coil raised above the ground. Minelabs are really for park guys and coin shooters who detect manicured lawns.

The Explorer/Etrac/CTX lack a true threshold based All-Metal mode like the F75/T2 has.

I owned a SE Pro / Etrac and now a CTX3030 and also have a Teknetics T2SE.

No way... Especially not on a cuff button. The FBS Minelabs are excellent on high conductors, and they are alright at relic hunting, but FBS detectors really need to be scrubbing the ground with their coil to allow the machine to auto ground balance and set sensitivity levels. In the woods it's difficult to keep your coil on the ground without getting it hung up on everything and the Fisher/Teknetics don't seem to have any issue with the coil raised above the ground. Minelabs are really for park guys and coin shooters who detect manicured lawns.

The Explorer/Etrac/CTX lack a true threshold based All-Metal mode like the F75/T2 has.

All of this,
Plus once you get into your nail beds the minelab really struggles while the F75 pulls the good good stuff out.
p.s.
the F75 is pretty wicked in all metal mode.

So it seems the general consensus is that the SE Pro is considered more of a coin machine and the F-75 is the premier relic hunting machine of choice. Anyone out there using the SE Pro for relic hunting? I know some guys around here have used them with great success, and some guys swear by the F-75. That's why I wanted to give it a shot to see what my preference is. I really like the idea of having a programmable machine for my type of hunting. I'm sure after a while I will learn to use it alongside my F-75. Thanks for all replies so far. Still looking to hear some general techniques or settings on the SE for relics.

Wolf:
I know reading these post you might get the impression that the minelabs are no good for relic hunting. They are still a very good relic machine but just a couple small things they don't do as well as another detector. (nickpicking lol)On my Etrac and I would say the SE too, run a pretty open screen. The E has an relic mode where the bottom right part of the screen is disc'ed some.If in an area with little trash I run fast off and deep off and manual sen. as high as you can without iron wrap.If in a lot of trash you might want to turn Fast on. I hunt mostly 1800's sites being fields or woods and the E does great for the most part but I still use the F75 too. I think I have a good one two punch. You will have a great combo too. Hope some of the SE guys will chime in for ya.

As docbars stated don't take this as the Minelab FBS isn't a good relic hunter. All we're really saying is the Minelab is a better park/school coin machine than it is a relic machine. The SE will still do a great job on relics as the F75 will also do a great job hunting coins at schools and park.

The reason I say I'd pick a SE over the F75 is for 2 reasons. 1. I do more school/park coin hunting than relics hunting. 2. I don't like the constant noise/chatter from the F75.

Back
Top Bottom