• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Reverse Skunk (Take that, Katie!) - An Unusual Token

KYshooter

Elite Member
Katie and I hit our old hotel site for a couple of hours this afternoon. It was tough hunting. It was warmer than it has been for days ... about 40 degrees and sunshine. But there was still a little snow on the ground, and the ground was really soaked and muddy. Wet, muddy fingers made for much misery - especially for Katie. She gave up about a half-hour before I did and just watched me dig.

Unfortunately, she didn't find anything.

I wasn't making any great discoveries, either. I did hit on a whisper of a 77 VDI signal at about eight inches and got really excited ... but it turned out to be an old buckle. I also dug an odd-shaped brass piece, a melted-looking whatzit, and another marked lead seal (third one I've found on this site ... not sure what they're for).

Right before we left, I hit on an 80/82 VDI at four inches deep and thought I was onto a dime. I finally located the target in my plug ...
12-28-10-token-in-plug.jpg

You can see my excitement when I realized that I had dug a token. :D
12-28-10-geoff-token.jpg

Here's a close-up fresh out of the hole.
12-28-10-token-on-cloth.jpg

I snapped close-ups at home.
12-28-10-token-front.jpg
12-28-10-token-back.jpg

It's a pretty incredible little piece, really. It's from the "City Pool and Billiards Parlor," apparently located in Andalusia, Alabama. That's 450 miles away from the hillside where I dug it! The 5-cent token also includes the name, "Ben W. Hadley."

Here's a pic of all my finds today.
12-28-10-finds.jpg

So ... finally! I have a good find and Katie gets a minor skunkin.' :lol:

I think we might wait for a little bit drier weather before we get out again.

those are some interesting old finds. :grin:
glad to hear Katie let you find a few things for a change, and that she's liking her pro pointer (i gotta get me one of those!). glad you're still able to do some digging! :yes:

Pete

Nice finds there. I love the token. Sorry that you didn't find anything Katie but it was nice of you to give dad a bit of a break. ;)

Doug

Great find, check out richard's token base on the web He dons't have that one listed, good find might be only one known and worth some money to the right collector. HH Mike

Back
Top Bottom