Advice to newbies -

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
When I started detecting about 30 years ago I hit every place I had grown up with. After a few years & I had learned my detecting skills much better (if not then find another hobby) I hit the original sites again and dug yet more. After I had done it the very first time I didn't believe there was anything left. I sure was wrong.

And after doing it the second time I returned a third time later and detected at a different angle and dug yet more !

So do these spots when you can and as much as you can while you can. Now I sit here thinking of several sites that produced a load of coins but are now totally locked up, destroyed or just not available.

Get in while you can, no place will last forever, steve in so az

Great advice Steve. One of the first places I detected was on old abandoned campground where I found A few clad coins. Went back 3 months later & found twice as much, including 3 wheats. No silver yet, but I know it's there and I will find it.

Good Advice!. I think back on some of the places that I hit when I was "Green" and didnt quite understand everything my detector was telling me or worked the sites thoroughly... Now, 20 some years later, alot of those sites are gone/un-touchable.:no:

Great bit of advice Steve...
Soil conditions, moisture in the ground, hitting it at different angles, using different settings, using a different coil, new detector and newer technology, etc.. It can all bring different finds that were missed . I always say, it's never all found..
This year is 40 yrs since I bought my first detector.. Still just as excited today as I was in the summer of 72 when I found detecting to be my passion..
Thanks for all your great and interesting posts..HH
Sonnydigs

Back
Top Bottom